Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/24/2006, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

css 65 skimmer quick help!!!

allright i was moving some coral around and i didnt even bump my skimmer. All of the sudden the tank was filled with bubbles. They were coming from my skimmer!! right now i turned it off because the tank just fills up with small micro bubbles. i messed with all the nobs and either the collection cup filled up with water in seconds or my tank would get filled with bubbles.!!! anyone know what the deal is and how to fix it??? i need it fast for my corals!! its all stock.
Old 05/24/2006, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

has anyone even had this before??? if you cant help with what to do can you at least answer this??? should i leave it on with the bibbles in the water or leave it off. will everything be OK if its off??? everything seems to close up when its on and the bubbles are everywhere so i have it off at the moment. it just so happens i am leaving tomorow night for a long weekend trip so this stinks!! should i go out and just buy a small skimmer for the weekend or will it be OK i will be back monday night. any help would well help.
Old 05/24/2006, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

My experience is that it may produce bubbles in the tank for a while, but it should stop. Also make sure your bubble diffuser is still attached. Depending on your tank, I would think you would be fine over the weekend without a skimmer. I would set the skimmer at the lowest level so it doesn't overflow and just wait a bit.
Old 05/24/2006, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

was just about to purchase superskimmer, other than what its doing now has it been effective? also would it be effective enough to put on 72 gallon even though rated for 65. by the way my gts would crush your rsx s.
Old 05/24/2006, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghostrida3
was just about to purchase superskimmer, other than what its doing now has it been effective? also would it be effective enough to put on 72 gallon even though rated for 65. by the way my gts would crush your rsx s.
I would go with the 125 version or the 220 for your tank. I have overall been happy with my CSS 65.
Old 05/24/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

well i would also go with 125 or 220 although the 65 has been very effective up to now. i found the problem was a return pipe has a hole in it so it attracks all the bubbles and that is how they get in the tank. haha im sure yours would crush my rsx my pride is 89 mustang 5.0 though....shes got some pickup
Old 05/24/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

looking threw forum and see that alot of people are having problems w/ this skimmer, no to take away from main idea of thread but imo what would b the best skimmer for 72 gallon under or around 150? by the way rsx1212, u done any mods to the mustang?
Old 05/24/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

umm i hear remora C's are pretty good just replace the rio pump because those are junk. i know euro reefs are goood. deltec are nice but your looking 700 ^ range there. dont get a prizm or any skimmer from red sea.

mustang i justr have flowmaster exhaust and stereo nothing much
Old 05/24/2006, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

gts crush a type s lol i dont think so..come on now i spank gts with my 05 s
Old 05/25/2006, 02:07 AM
Premium Member

the pump constantly falls off of my CSS 65 and fills the tank with bubbles or stops everything, depends! and it works great some days and for days at a time it won't work at all, currently it worked great for a week and today got no movement, it's a frustrating skimmer, when it does work it fills with crazy smell goo but when not, it just makes a bubbling mess of my tank.