Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Your photos are awesome bro. I want to buy 2 of them just cause they look so good. Not to mention 50 SCFH.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

dgill - funny you said that you thought they shipped you the wrong one. I had the same thought when I pulled in the driveway and saw the box sitting by my door.
Oh and the bubble plate on the 200 is 2 pieces too.

I posted these questions on another thread but figured I might have a better shot at an answer here.

What does that 1/2" restrictor do? The instructions only showed how to assemble the main unit - it didn't show anything about the smaller pieces.

And there's a tube that feeds the venturi that's cut at a 45° angle - does it matter how that angle is oriented in relation to the pump intake?

I'm on the tail end of my build, so no action pics from me for a few days. (it might see freshwater tonight if I can leak test it yet today) I had to re-silicone a few pieces of acrylic in my sump last night to make room for my 200. But here it is dry - I placed the soda can next to it to give you an idea of the size.

Old 01/06/2008, 10:13 AM
El Jefe de WRS

If I didnt know better, I would swear the 200 and 250 came from one of my CAD files... the similarity is uncanny... right down to the dimensions and split bubble plate. I was going to suggest to ORCA to just build a recirc version almost identical to the 200 here... which is little more than adding an elbow and 'T' to the intakes of both pumps and drilling two more holes in the skimmer body.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:47 AM
One Good Friend

It would be just like Ostrow's skimmer then. I bet they end up with these skimmers as recirc from SWC.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid

What does that 1/2" restrictor do? The instructions only showed how to assemble the main unit - it didn't show anything about the smaller pieces.

And there's a tube that feeds the venturi that's cut at a 45° angle - does it matter how that angle is oriented in relation to the pump intake?

]
I believe the restrictor goes in the intake of the sicce, and the a4 needs to face towards the impeller
Old 01/06/2008, 01:26 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
It would be just like Ostrow's skimmer then. I bet they end up with these skimmers as recirc from SWC.
Nah, shorter bubble plate with tangential inlet like this one, and without that funky water inlet thingy. Other little things as well, like the built in drain on the collection cup. I know, I know... it sounds hokey... but it just kinda freaked me out the first time I saw these things. I was like 'dang... did I post that design somewhere or something?' Not like its that innovative overall, as its pretty similar to a BK deluxe in its basic design.

It happens though, you know. I hear CoralVue has a Laguna based skimmer pump in the works as well... Gee, someone's been reading Reef Central's DIY threads, eh?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:32 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister

It happens though, you know. I hear CoralVue has a Laguna based skimmer pump in the works as well... Gee, someone's been reading Reef Central's DIY threads, eh?
lol, that air star is a nice looking pump too

where did you hear about the coralvue pump?
Old 01/06/2008, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

How would you guys run ozone into this skimmer?

A) place your airline into the air intake
B) Run a T into the air intake so it draws fresh air and ozone

I've got an ozone controller and ORP probe so I'm not worried about overdoing it - just want to know the best way to deliver it to the skimmer.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:26 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
lol, that air star is a nice looking pump too

where did you hear about the coralvue pump?
People. I got people.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

How do you think these or the 160 would rtank to a DAS EX1? that is what i have now. But these are looking very tempting.

I prefer Recirc skimmers though
Old 01/06/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

So is the Mesh Mod kit from Protein-skimmers.com a good bolt on or is there going to be some modifying to it in order to make it work with this skimmer?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

kdblove_99 - from early reports it looks like the pump on the MSX 160 is capable of pulling 900 LPH of air. The DAX EX-1 is recirculating, which is an advantage, but the DAS (Aquabee) pump only pulls 450 LPH which is half as much air. Also, I really like the small footprint and design of the 160.

tsouth - the mesh mod kit from protein-skimmers.com should work fine. I'm planning to beef mine up a bit as well.

Last edited by dgill; 01/08/2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Right onnn! Mine will be here Thursday and the meshmod kit form P-S.com sometime this week also. WOO!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

My pump seems really loud - and every once in a while starts with a grinding noise that goes away on it's own after a few seconds.

Anyone else hearing the same thing with theirs? Mine's almost like a loud buzzing noise. Is there a break-in time on these pumps for them to get quieter? I noticed on my MaxiJet 1200's that they're loud at first but after several hours they quieted down. Skimmer's been running for about a hour and it's been the same all along.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Mr. Squid, unfortunatley I don't have mine fired up yet but reading the other threads there are some things to check:

1. Try loosening the pump cover / volute slightly. There are tabs that "lock" onto the impeller housing but they should not be locked and I've seen suggestions that it should be backed off (slightly). On my pumps I notice the tabs were not engaged.

2. You may need to re-work the mesh wheel. The mesh wheel modification can never be perfect (no matter who does it) and there me be a balance issue but I believe this tends to work itself out over time. The mesh should not be touching or dragging on the impeller housing.

Also, what depth of water are you running in your sump?
Old 01/09/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

I'm running around 9" if I remember right. My pump did quiet down significantly after a few hours. When I typed that I was in my basement office. The tank is above me and back about 20'- and I could hear that pump from where I was sitting.

Now it's the air that you hear more than the pump - and that's to be expected.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:36 AM
Premium Member

Great news, so what do you think? Any nasty frothy stuff yet?

Also, I'm curious to hear from an BM owners that are trying this skimmer, and what they think comparison wise.

I wonder if BM users have had to make similar tweaks to their pumps (same pump afterall)?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Frothy - yes. But nothing's in my tank but salt and aragonite. Heading out to pick my live rock up from UPS in about an hour. So I'm sure there'll be plenty of nasty stuff later on today.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:49 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgill
Great news, so what do you think? Any nasty frothy stuff yet?

Also, I'm curious to hear from an BM owners that are trying this skimmer, and what they think comparison wise.

I wonder if BM users have had to make similar tweaks to their pumps (same pump afterall)?
You dont have to mod them. The intake cover is on fully tight. The mesh was done well from the start, no mods of the a intake or air fitting. Some BM200 useres trimmed the mesh back some since they skimmed on the wet side. You may see the same. Dont always assume more is better when it comes to air draw.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

For those of you looking for replacement tubing for the air line, at Lowe's it's item #22272 (no guarantee it's that same number at ALL stores - but that's what it should be in the midwest). If I remember right it's 3/8" ID.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Brand new out of the box 24 hrs later, my 250 has already started producing some nice skim
Old 01/10/2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I got my 250 a few days ago...wow it is huge! Can't wait to get the new tank up and running. I have a 150 display, 100gal sump and 50 gal frag tank. This skimmer looks to be overkill a bit. I think I could have probably gone with the 200! At least I know I can have a lot of fish, the 250 will have no problem handling it!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by werdlone
I got my 250 a few days ago...wow it is huge! Can't wait to get the new tank up and running. I have a 150 display, 100gal sump and 50 gal frag tank. This skimmer looks to be overkill a bit. I think I could have probably gone with the 200! At least I know I can have a lot of fish, the 250 will have no problem handling it!
Tell me about it.... I could have totally done the 160 - and part of me wishes I would have. The 200 is pretty tight in my sump... But then I think the same thing - I can have more fish, and fish are what the tank is for!

My rock has been in my new tank for about 10 hours. The skimmer's pulled about 1/2" of semi-clear brown out.

Still looking to hear from anyone who's running ozone into these and how they suggest doing it....
Old 01/10/2008, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
Tell me about it.... I could have totally done the 160 - and part of me wishes I would have. The 200 is pretty tight in my sump... But then I think the same thing - I can have more fish, and fish are what the tank is for!

My rock has been in my new tank for about 10 hours. The skimmer's pulled about 1/2" of semi-clear brown out.

Still looking to hear from anyone who's running ozone into these and how they suggest doing it....
I will be running ozone into it just by putting a Tee into one of the airlines running to the pumps.