Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/17/2006, 12:27 PM
Got that Anger!

Gary I know I dont hang out in the urs forums as much since I moved but congrats on TOTM,I am still sad i never got to see it in person maybee when i come back north to visit
Old 04/17/2006, 04:17 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by mildew
Gary, Congratulations on TOTM! Beautiful! It's great to see the home of the mini carpets I got from you last fall. Thanks so much for sharing. Nobody here had ever seen them before. I received 3 and I think there are now 7. Thanks again. They are really special and so is you aquarium.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by downset
Gary I know I dont hang out in the urs forums as much since I moved but congrats on TOTM,I am still sad i never got to see it in person maybee when i come back north to visit
If you come back up north make sure to stop by and see the new arrangement.
Old 04/19/2006, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

nice
Old 04/19/2006, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

I recently bought a rock of blue Xenia. Then Xenia melted away within 2 weeks only to reveal a pink and green Stichodactyla tapetum. I, along with several other people, didn't know what it was (including the LFS owner that sold the rock). It wasn't until I saw your TOTM that I said, "hey that is what I have."

It now has it's own 30gal with a LTA and a pair of clowns. Would love to get more of these amazing little guys. Where did you find the multiple color morphs you have? I saw you got one as a hitcher as well, but all of them?

Congrats and thanks in advance.
Steve
Old 04/20/2006, 04:53 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Hi Steve. The smaller green and pink anemones were hitch hikers.
The larger (different colored) morphs were purchased from a LFS in California.
Feed your anemone HUFA enriched frozen Mysids and frozen Cyclopeeze regularly and it will reproduce by splitting.
Old 04/21/2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

impressive, pretty display of unique species. I like the carpets and the feeding regiment sounds similar to my thoughts. good to see people progress.
Hank
Old 04/21/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Very Impressed!!!
Old 04/21/2006, 08:55 PM
Catch and release

Very nice tank Gary.

Well thought out and a beautifull mix of interesting species......or an interesting mix of beautifull species

Well deserved!

Chris
Old 04/22/2006, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Gary....in the photos on the TOTM page, you have a "Clove"-typ coral with green "eyes." Is that Clavularia? IMO it's spectacular and I wonder if you can say where you got that? Your tank is something great to look at and....well...Bravo!
Old 04/22/2006, 08:36 PM
yes it's my aquarium

thanks, folks!

Is this the coral you're referring to, Avi?
Old 04/22/2006, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

That's the one. I look at it and say to myself that it's Clavularia, but it's not one that's often seen and I am always on the lookout for rarer types of those. So, the only other kind of coral that I could conceive of it being is some sort of Pipe-organ Coral. But, the polyps seem too ornate for that. I'd hope that you can sell me what it is and, even better, where I'd have a hope of getting some of it. THANKS, Gary.
Old 04/23/2006, 07:51 AM
yes it's my aquarium

It's a Tubipora (Pipe Organ). I bought it as a tiny frag. I'll PM you where I got it.
Old 04/25/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Love the anemone's
Old 04/25/2006, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

... there is no apostrophe in the plural.
Old 04/27/2006, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Have you had the Majestic since he was young? has he ever picked on any corals? ......it's a beautiful fish and tank!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 04/27/2006, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful Tank.

What supplements do you add to the tank? Iodine, etc?

Thanks for your time to answer this question. :-)
Michelle
Old 04/27/2006, 05:29 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by 15nano
Love the anemone's
I'm fond of anemones too.
Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
Have you had the Majestic since he was young? has he ever picked on any corals? ......it's a beautiful fish and tank!
I had the Majestic when it was young. It didn't pick on anything for several months and then destroyed a Cynarina over a 48 hour period, which was kind of anticipated. Angelfish are likely to destroy "open brain" type corals IME. I've seen this type of behavior with several other Angelfish species.
Quote:
Originally posted by sltwtrlvr
Beautiful Tank.

What supplements do you add to the tank? Iodine, etc?

Thanks for your time to answer this question. :-)
Michelle
No "supplements" per se.
I monitor alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium levels.
I run a calcium reactor and topoff for evaporation is kalkwasser.
Regular partial water changes and foods fed to the aquarium provide major and minor "trace elements".
Old 04/27/2006, 09:25 PM
TRC Leader

Congratulations on TOTM Gary.
Old 04/27/2006, 09:52 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Thanks, Amy!
Old 04/27/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

thats so cool he hasn't eaten any sps!
i tried an emporer and he started eating a couple of mine within a week so he had to go....but now that i've set up my new 210g i want try another angel?

what type calcium reactor?

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 05/16/2006, 09:57 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
thats so cool he hasn't eaten any sps!
i tried an emporer and he started eating a couple of mine within a week so he had to go....but now that i've set up my new 210g i want try another angel?

what type calcium reactor?
MRC Ca reactor, Matt.
Sorry for the delayed reply!
Old 05/19/2006, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Great job! Just wondering: the tank is with corals at the top, how are doing water changes - are corals exposed to the air? Thanks.
Old 05/19/2006, 09:40 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by dendro982
Great job! Just wondering: the tank is with corals at the top, how are doing water changes - are corals exposed to the air? Thanks.
Thanks... and great question!
My water changes are done downstairs in the sump area. My sump is a 75 gallon aquarium that I keep half full, so there's roughly 35 gallons in it while the system is up and running.
To do a water change I run my skimmer extremely "wet". The water level in the sump drops as I skim out old water and the water level in the main display aquarium remains the same. (This is an often overlooked reason to attach a sump to an aquarium.)
To make disposing of skimmate easier I plumbed a drain line from the skimmer collection cup to the washbasin in the basement of our home. Skimmate automatically gets directed into the washbasin 24/7.

Corals in my aquarium are rarely (if ever) exposed to the air.
If I shut my pumps off and let the system drain the water level in the main display aquarium drops less than 2".
IME Acropora experiencing a (brief) exposure to air are stressed but not fatally harmed.
Old 05/19/2006, 10:18 PM
Editor - Reefkeeping

Hey dendro. Corals being exposed to air is not a bad thing. In fact, it occurs regularly in the wild among corals located close to shore. Take a look at this article, beginning with the third paragraph downward:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/eb/index.php
Old 05/20/2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the information, most helpful! In all my readings this function of the sump wasn't mentioned. Very interesting.