Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/05/2006, 10:13 AM
Moved On

Congrats Gary. I love the mixture of corals/livestock that you keep in your tank!!!

Did I read somewhere that you were upgrading to a larger tank?
Old 04/05/2006, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank, very inspirational.
Old 04/05/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Great looking tank, thought it was two tanks, then i realized its front and back.

Full tank shots are too dark in my opinion, hard to see the detail.

Congrats!
Old 04/05/2006, 01:16 PM
Moved In

Looks great! I've always love your little anemones.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 04/05/2006, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Congratulations, Gary

Very nice looking tank.
Old 04/05/2006, 02:25 PM
Reef Mania

A very beautiful TOTM there Gary, you have done and excellent job on that tank, congratulations.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 04/05/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Wow, what an awesome tank, I love the openess of having all four sides visible. Must have taken quite a bit of planning for aquascaping.

Congrats! Very well deserved.

---ttomkat1
Old 04/05/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

tank is looking awesome bro keep up the good work... btw what kind of leppord wrasse is that?
Old 04/05/2006, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Congrats Gary,awesome tank!!I too would like to know what kind of wrasse that is.
Old 04/05/2006, 05:43 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by alien9168
I really like the carpet's. How long did it take you to grow them that large?

-alien
I got a very small (less than 1/4" diameter) unknown polyp on some Indonesian LR I purchased back in 1993 from 'Saltwater Solutions'. (I believe that was the name of the outfit. It was operated by Roger Bull out of Arizona). I didn't know exactly what the polyps were for many years. Julian Sprung and Dr. Ron Shimek positively identified them as the carpet anemone species Stichodactyla tapeum a few years ago. I have two distinct types of this anemone species. One reaches a maximum size of around 2" and the other grows larger than 5".
Like most anemones, they'll grow faster if well fed and cared for properly. They reproduce by "splitting".
Old 04/05/2006, 05:49 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by steve414
I have the same lighting fixture where did you buy height-adjustable cable kit because iam not sure what one because is best, want it to be easy to adjust it. and could you post some pics of it at the ceiling and at the light fixture. nice tank looks great!!
It's the PFO adjustable height cable kit.
Ditch the chains and get this cable kit!
https://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewI...Product=PF2817

Old 04/05/2006, 06:03 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysreef
Beautiful tank! Do you have any pics of the aquascaping before pics? I am in the process of redoing my 180 and fetting all the LR pics I can.
I didn't take many pics back in '97.
Old 04/05/2006, 06:04 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
OK, it has been pointed out to me, it's not a clam, but a carpet anemone that looks like a clam!

I need new glasses.
go with LASIK- I heard it's better when diving!
Old 04/05/2006, 06:16 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by eraml
The tank is beautiful. I personally love the majestic angel, but am wondering how that does with your corals?
How did I know this question would arise?

Generally speaking, the reef aquarium compatibility of marine Angelfish varies even within a species. It really boils down to what the individual fish has a taste for- and if it's really hungry or not. Aggression towards sessile invertebrates increases as aquarium size decreases- in other words a bigger aquarium is better.
All of the Angelfish that I've ever kept in a reef aquariums have devoured Scolymia "open brain" type corals in a matter of time. They will also quickly consume pieces of any corals that have been damaged- which can be a good thing in many cases.
Old 04/05/2006, 06:23 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
Nice acentic! Thats really blue!
Old 04/05/2006, 06:42 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Thanks to all that have complimented on my aquarium. On to answering more questions.
Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
A great combination of Anemones and corals. Do you ever experience the 'Chemical Warefare' that we hear so much about here at Reef Central?
Everybody that keeps a reef aquarium with different corals and anemones has a type of "chemical warfare" going on in their aquarium. I combat this warfare with large partial regular water changes, granular activated carbon and protein skimming.
Old 04/05/2006, 06:43 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by MarksReef
Congratulations,Gary. You tank, skills and knowledge have always been an inspiration. Your tank has always been Tank Of The Month in my book, It's just documented now.
Congrats. Mark
Documented is a nice way of putting it. Thanks, Mark.
Old 04/05/2006, 06:45 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by TWallace
What kind of wrasse is that? I love it.
It's a "Leopard Wrasse". (Macropharyngodon sp.)

More info on Leopard Wrasses:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.php
Old 04/05/2006, 07:00 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by agfahy
Beautiful Tank. I love the carpets.
I wanted to ask you about your feeding regemend. Do you battle any algae problems as a result of this aggressive feeding?

I would like to feed more but lack the will to do so as I have not had algae problems since I stopped feed on a daily basis.
I personally have found frozen foods to contribute to cyano alot more then, say dry food.

Great color in your tank.
Thanks for the compliments and very good question. The combination of anemones, SPS, LPS and soft corals causes a conflict in husbandry demands.
Acropora and other SPS demand a relatively "clean" environment.
One large haddoni carpet anemone can consume as much food as is fed to a typical SPS aquarium over the course of a year!
The answer is great (not just good) protein skimming.
Get rid of the pollution as quickly as possible with a great skimmer and maintain proper alkalinity and salinity.
I currently run an "Acrylic Reef Solutions" 30 inch tall Beckett injected protein skimmer made by George Adams of Syracuse, NY.
Old 04/05/2006, 07:03 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by gomle69
The most beautiful tank I´ve seen.Stunning!
Coming from someone in Norway, (home of some especially spectacular reef aquaria), this means a lot to me. Thanks!
Old 04/05/2006, 07:04 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by reedman
Gary, Congrats on a well deserved recognition. Your tank is truely beautiful.

Have you had any problems with the Majestic angel picking at the SPS or clam mantles? I'm seriously considering one of these for my reef, but it's tough to find people that have real life experience with them in a reef environment.
Avoid "open brain" type corals- and feed your fish well.
Old 04/05/2006, 07:05 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by sixxer
Congrats Gary. I love the mixture of corals/livestock that you keep in your tank!!!

Did I read somewhere that you were upgrading to a larger tank?
Thanks. I upgraded house size. Aquarium size stayed the same.
Old 04/05/2006, 07:06 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by atram
Beautiful tank, very inspirational.
Inspiration is the objective.
Perspiration is the price.
Old 04/05/2006, 07:24 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by heuerfan
Great looking tank, thought it was two tanks, then i realized its front and back.

Full tank shots are too dark in my opinion, hard to see the detail.

Congrats!
Thanks. What's that in your avatar?
Old 04/05/2006, 07:25 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Looks great! I've always love your little anemones.
Quote:
Originally posted by MarinaP
Congratulations, Gary

Very nice looking tank.
Thanks, Debi and Marina.
You gals help make RC special.