Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Wow ! Thanks All !

Quote:
Originally posted by eddybabyhd
absolutly awesome, I am building a plywood tank as we speak, and would love to see a build thread if you have one. Thanks
eddybabyhd , The link skipper provided could answer a few questions you may have im sure.
If you have more, Fire away !

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydub74
Excellent tank, would you be able to provide details on how you attached the rock to the PVC frame. It looks excellent.
Jaydub, The rocks were drilled in several areas and then fastened with zipties, a whooole lotta them
The tabs mounted during building were criticle for support without using rock.
Again there is some info in the link provided.

Quote:
Originally posted by myusername
Grate looking setup.
I would love to see more info on how you built the tank and skimmer. And if you built any thing else. It’s grate to see someone save some money in this hobby. I like how you set up your lights also. I pland to do something like that when I get my next Tank. and I wish you lived nearby, so you could show me how to save some money in this hobby.
Best of luck if the future.
Charles.
Myusername, I almost begin to think i didnt save a dime, because i had to build the projects 3 times to get what i wanted.
Or at the very least re-do the same one 3 times....lol.
I lost the pics of how the glass was laid into place, but i vaugely rememeber 7 tubes of caulking, finger squashing and more than a little cussin.

Quote:
Originally posted by rjrobert
Outstanding - Congratulations.

If that girl ever goes missing the first place the police need to look is inside your skimmer
rjrobert, naw, the "X" is occupying it right now. :P

Quote:
Originally posted by Waxxiemann
Awesome tank, I can only dream that my signifigant other would allow me to keep a tank that big =)
Waxxiemann, Please see above. .

Marc.

Last edited by Fudge; 11/05/2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:31 PM
TOTM October 2007

Hey Marc,

Very very nice tank....you did a superb job. I really love the aquascaping you worked there.

Very nice indeed.

I saw your thread a while past and stopped in from time to time. Very well deserved TOTM.

Paul.
Old 11/06/2007, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Marc congratulations beautiful tank, great pick for TOTM.
Do be do be do. -- Sinatra
Old 11/06/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Hey Marc,

Very cool aquascaping. I too love the open look! A couple questions... Could you explain in a little more detail your maintainance regimen for the sand? I read in the TOTM writeup that you clean it once a month. How do you keep from sucking up all the sand? Also, whenever I've tried replacing sand in my tank, it looks like a cloud for a few hours. Does this happen to you?

Thanks!

Matt
Old 11/06/2007, 01:28 AM
TRC Leader

I've been following your build threads for a while on two different sites, and have always been blown away by your skills. Congrats on TOTM! It is very well-deserved.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:50 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Fudge, what's the deal with the trigger in your hand? Is that during feeding? Or does it just like to swim in your hand and get the squeeze?
Old 11/06/2007, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Awesome tank Bro! What did you do with your old skimmers? Wouldn't mind having one fo those. Much props to ya man.

WB
Old 11/06/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

I'm rather new to the hobby...at least the saltwater aspect of it, just starting in June but freshwater since about 2003. Anyways, am wanting to build an in-wall (currently using 55 gallon) after I think I've got a good knowledgebase....But, I just wanted to say I LOVE the plywood idea since in-wall it does not really matter that the rest of the walls are not clear. I've got one question, how thick is the front acrylic? GREAT TANK MARC!
Old 11/06/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Great Tank Marc. I am more impressed with all the DIY hard work you have put into it. "Where there is a will, there is a way".
Old 11/06/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

That tank is inspiring! Please, if you could, please explain how you did the rock on the PVC frame. I know several others have asked so please add me to the list!
Old 11/06/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Awesome Tank!!!
Old 11/06/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

WOW!!! That is one of the most incredible tanks I think I have ever seen. Can you post the link to your build thread for me I would love to read thourgh it and see how you built the tank!

I really like the way you did the wall around the tank, the viewable area what ever you want to call it. That really looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing your tank! It is an inspiration!
Old 11/06/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Id have to say out of the many amazing aquariums ive seen on here this one is up there in the ranks. Love the oval shaped wall view, gives it a very professional artistic feel.
Old 11/06/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Amazing colors! Looks like a display that should be in a museum!!Congratulations-well deserved!!

jolene
Old 11/06/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

An amazing total set up Marc. Many of can only dream of having DIY skills like that. Congrats on your beautiful aquarium and its choice as TOTM.

Great write up & photo work also.
Old 11/06/2007, 07:21 PM
phins are on the clock

This tank just makes me smile!
Old 11/06/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Hey Marc , congrats and well deserved. Definitely on of my favourite tanks , lucky for me you live close by and I get to check it out and steal ideas all the time . By the way nice job on pics and article
Old 11/06/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Hey Marc , congrats and well deserved. Definitely on of my favourite tanks , lucky for me you live close by and I get to check it out and steal ideas all the time . By the way nice job on pics and article
Old 11/06/2007, 08:52 PM
Catch and release

An amazing piece of work
Your DIY skill and aquatic husbandry are to be commended.
Very very well done and well deserved!

Chris
Old 11/06/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Paul,
When my corals grow up, i hope they look just like yours !.

Quote:
Originally posted by mlandrigan
Hey Marc,

Very cool aquascaping. I too love the open look! A couple questions... Could you explain in a little more detail your maintainance regimen for the sand? I read in the TOTM writeup that you clean it once a month. How do you keep from sucking up all the sand? Also, whenever I've tried replacing sand in my tank, it looks like a cloud for a few hours. Does this happen to you?

Thanks!

Matt
Matt,

I vacume the sand weekly and some sand is lost, but atleast one a month i will pull sand while vacuming on purpose.
Yes it clouds the tank for the day when a new bag is added, but i just expect that now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Fudge, what's the deal with the trigger in your hand? Is that during feeding? Or does it just like to swim in your hand and get the squeeze?
Freed,

I noticed after hand feeding the fish for the first year, that the triggers were the dogs of the bunch.
They needed to pat me down on every occasion to see if i had treats .

It was kinda neat at first, but definatly a problem when thier teeth grew a little.

They actually jammed themselves into the cone of my hand in those pictures looking for morsels, and this was common.
For the last year i havent done this because it got a little out of control when gluing frags, rock placement, and small marks on my skin would promote sampling...
As you can see in the pics the tangs got quite comfortable too, but atleast they only plucked an arm hair or two a day.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin1300
I'm rather new to the hobby...at least the saltwater aspect of it, just starting in June but freshwater since about 2003. Anyways, am wanting to build an in-wall (currently using 55 gallon) after I think I've got a good knowledgebase....But, I just wanted to say I LOVE the plywood idea since in-wall it does not really matter that the rest of the walls are not clear. I've got one question, how thick is the front acrylic? GREAT TANK MARC!
Dustin,

The front and side viewing panes are glass, and 3/4" laminated Starphire.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daytonarick
That tank is inspiring! Please, if you could, please explain how you did the rock on the PVC frame. I know several others have asked so please add me to the list!
Datonarick,

I preglued structures of pvc, of the shapes that i had wished to see.
I then drilled holes throught the framework, to avoid stagnant areas aswell as have areas to mount rock to.

The base structures looked much like this when trying to get the shapes.

In that picture, this was the base structure, and a piece was made to come down to touch it, but is supported by the eurobracing of the tank.

The top piece was hung down.

Then it was just a matter of coral and small rock placment for the next little while... this was difficult as i had a hard time being patient for the corals to hide PVC that i could still see.
Some of it got pretty tedious as you can see in this photo, the little pieces needed attention too.

I kept the structures very simple in hopes the corals would do the finishing work.

Most of the layout :

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy953
WOW!!! That is one of the most incredible tanks I think I have ever seen. Can you post the link to your build thread for me I would love to read thourgh it and see how you built the tank!

I really like the way you did the wall around the tank, the viewable area what ever you want to call it. That really looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing your tank! It is an inspiration!
Thanks Ziggy,
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=686757

Marc.
Old 11/07/2007, 12:08 AM
Premium Member

wow, you have some serious DIY skills, absolutely beautifully thought out, stunning
Old 11/07/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

The aesthetics of every aspect of this tank just blow me away. Inside and out you've done a beautiful job!
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Congratulations Marc! Awesome Tank!
Old 11/07/2007, 10:05 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

I have to say I have been in the hobby a long time and very few tanks just blow me away anymore, but wow that is awsum. It is not so much the life inside the tank even though it looks awsum too and is going to look spectacular in a few years, it is the tank and the fact you built it your self and the other equipment. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your tank it was very interesting. You should write a article for reefkeeping magazine on how you built the tank.

Come to think about it why do they not have a diy section to begin with in reefkeeping magazine.

Dave
Old 11/07/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I know this has been said a number of times but the best tank I have ever seen. I have seen some nice ones but your captivates my attention. I love the rockwork and the DIY is amazing. Great job!