Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month

Old 06/05/2007, 11:12 AM
The Iron Knight

spectacular tank

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi
Old 06/05/2007, 11:32 AM
TOTM- June 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by cthetoy
Beautiful tank! I just aquired a Longnose Butterfly and was wondering how do you manage to feed it with all the other agressive fish.
Actually, he does just fine during feeding time. We actually don't have a lot of "agressive" fish and they all get plenty to eat when we feed (except the pipefish and Mandarin who only seem to be interested in pods). The LNB was also one of the first fish added back when we added the Linkia so he's has had plenty of time to learn to fend for himself when it comes to food.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:34 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Tis' Tropical fish. I remember the name but can't recall the details. Where was that store located? I probably bought stuff there years ago.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Absolutely stunning. An inspiration.

When my little one is grown up, my wife and I agreed to do something like this. Glad to see it's a reality for you already!
Old 06/05/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

I'm amazed that you can have regal angels in with your zoos. Do they get picked at?
Old 06/05/2007, 12:05 PM
TOTM- June 2007

The Grim Reefer-
That was many years ago . It was in Fountain Valley Ca. I want to say Brookhurst north of Warner next to Mile square park. It was a great learning experience and I'm pretty sure that's where the addiction started for me

anjhof-
Angels are definately tricky- we had to "re-home" a few angels before we got one that didn't pick on anything(I really liked the majestic angel too). We also had a potters angel that died after having it about 3 months and could never tell why but he didn't nip at anything.
Old 06/05/2007, 01:52 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder770
The Grim Reefer-
That was many years ago . It was in Fountain Valley Ca. I want to say Brookhurst north of Warner next to Mile square park. It was a great learning experience and I'm pretty sure that's where the addiction started for me
Yeah, this was back in the 70's and 80's. DAMN I'm getting old. Looks like the taught you well. Good job
Old 06/05/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Nice set up. That back wall is great.

No shot of the Green Chromis mentioned in the opening paragraph?
Old 06/05/2007, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Wow, as stated earlier, this tank is truly an inspiration!! Just absolutely wonderful tank and setup. Truly shows how good planning and teamwork can result in a great tank. Great Job! I'll have to read your build thread.

BTW, what's your secret to keeping the achilles? From what I've read, it's a very difficult fish (flow, space). Any bullying from your purple tang?

How deep is your sand bed? What type of maintenance do you do for it (i.e. vacuum, stir)? What critters do you have to keep it stirred, if any?

Wow, once again, amazing tank!!! Truly deserving of TOTM!
Old 06/05/2007, 03:29 PM
TOTM- June 2007

I guess we did forget to post a pic of the little guy huh? It's an old pic but he hasn't changed at all. Here we go-

Old 06/05/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Speechless....Absolutly fabulous design and planning involved in this great display!
Old 06/05/2007, 03:38 PM
TOTM- June 2007

eaglesrx-
We really got lucky with the Achillies. As you can tell by my avatar he's my favorite fish (Choati wrasse is a very close second). He has been eating and happy since the day we got him. He is a bit of a bully sometimes and I might have thought about getting rid of him if it was a different fish but I just can't part with this guy. He has bullied a few fish, angels and tangs. The purple tang was introduced about 6 months ago and there were some definate tensions between them and they "got into it" a few times. Both came away with some deep cuts from it before I could seperate them for a bit. Today they are fine with each other and only occasionally will they "flash " at each other and then they both back off. I think they are fairly evenly matched and the purple tang has obviously had a few fights in his life.

As for the sand- it's about 2-3 inches deep. We have a lot of sand dwelling snails, serpant stars and conches that do a decent job of stirring up the sand- we don't vacuum it at all .
Old 06/05/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on your tank! I tell myself all the time that the cost of running something like that in So. Cal would put me in the poor house. (not that my 180 doesn't come close)

I remember Tis, it was one of the first shops I visited when I started in the hobby. Wow, that takes me back a little!

Beautiful tank, you both should be very proud!
Old 06/05/2007, 03:43 PM
The Iron Knight

i got a quick question for you though, do you have a picture of mainly the foam today?

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi
Old 06/05/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

And, the Achilles is awesome, forgot to add that! Too much to say really, your tank is just phenom!
Old 06/05/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info! Not only is your setup great, but obviously, your husbandry skills are not too shabby!! Great to hear success stories with the Achilles. One of these days when I upgrade to a larger tank, I would love to get one. How does your achilles like your flow? I'm assuming he's always swimming right at the powerheads.

I really like your filtration strategies. Protein skim the heck out of the tank, good flow, and let the inverts stir the sand for you. Sounds like you have a bunch of ceriths and nessarius.

Once again, great job.
Old 06/05/2007, 04:11 PM
TOTM- June 2007

TrojanScott-

I know they were around for a long time with a few different owners. I'm not sure when they went under but it was at least 5 years ago if not before that. I hear ya on the electric bill- I don't think I could do this tank in SoCal either!

reefing102-

I'll see what I can find and post it. If I find one you'll have a hard time telling the foam from the rock I guarantee you.
Old 06/05/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Congratulations on tank of the month. You deserve it.

I went through your build post. I want to put the actuator concept on my next tank. Could you give me some information on how it is hooked up and operates. I didn't quite follow the concept in your build thread.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:57 PM
hamster

Every once in a while I think the hobby is too much trouble, then I see a tank like yours and think of how much fun it would be to plumb the thing. Love it.

Do you have fish or corals?
Old 06/06/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Very sweet tank! I guess I can stop wondering if my 250 watt halides are enough for my 125gal. I can't believe you are only running 1000 watts of light on a tank that size. Seems to be working great though. Congrats! Very nice planning...
Old 06/06/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

SWEET!!!!!
Old 06/06/2007, 02:26 PM
Moved On

now thats a totm
Old 06/06/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Gratz! I love the wood work, really makes the tank stand out.

Great idea with the pond texture, i love all the DIY work I think that's what makes this hobbie so much fun.
Old 06/06/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Do you all not have jobs or not sleep? I couldn't put that all together in 2 years with my spare time.

Also...

How did you make the chillers?
Old 06/07/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

guys, your tank is set up amazingly beautiful...great job to both of you....