Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month

Old 05/26/2007, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

wow great tank can't wait to c mine turn out like that i dought mine will compair to yours good job
Old 05/26/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

250g great tank,I love it! I have a question about your external overflow,you said you would'nt have designed it this way in the beginning of your thread what do you mean by this?Is it because its coast to coast or something else.The reason I ask is im soon ordering a tank of silimilar size and I am struggling with my decision to go with dual external overflows or a single central external overflow?Do you recommend the external or would you go internal if you had your time back?

Thanks.
Old 05/27/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

frags

do you ship frags in canada?
Old 05/28/2007, 08:08 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Re: frags

Thanks. The external overflow is a wonderful design feature IMO. However, I would not have had the overflow extend all the way to the bottom of the tank (esentially the same hight as the tank). Wasted space. My old tank has an external overflow that was about 6"x 6" on the back of the tank. This way, I could have closed loop intakes/returns across the middle of the tank. Also, 1/4" acrlylic was poorly laminated to the back glass. Not only does this result in week overflow teeth, the acrylic has now bowed, making it difficult to clean my back panel with a flat scraper. You need to use 3/8" acrylic, like on my other tank.... ok you should use it...that's just me.

Dual external or single external, think either would work but a single is less expensive and would accomplish the same thing. I like to have 2 - 2" drains to ensure there are never any issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by jwccwj
250g great tank,I love it! I have a question about your external overflow,you said you would'nt have designed it this way in the beginning of your thread what do you mean by this?Is it because its coast to coast or something else.The reason I ask is im soon ordering a tank of silimilar size and I am struggling with my decision to go with dual external overflows or a single central external overflow?Do you recommend the external or would you go internal if you had your time back?

Thanks.
Indeed Right across Canada From BC to NS. Need to pay my hydro and water bill...have a shipment going to BC today.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaster
do you ship frags in canada?
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 05/28/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

250G

First of I would like to say one more time congratulation on making tank of the month. I have seen many tanks in person and here on Reef-central in my life. But I must say that your tank is just amazing. It has me thinking about some changes I just might make on my own tank…..your system is truly an inspiration to me. I have a couple of questions that maybe you can answer. You mention that you are using 400 WATT 20K XM BULBS. Do you feel that theses bulbs need to be replaced often to keep there spectrum? I always wanted to use them but many have posted that they loose there color after the 6 month mark and that would be too costly for me. Have you experienced this first hand? Also what 400 watt bulbs have your tried and what made you to stay with the XM? The reason I am asking is because I have recently upgraded to a 400 watt system on my 120 cube and was looking to get better color on My Sps. I also have 150W VHO of actinic as a supplement to give with a 400 watt ushio 10k bulb on icecap electronic ballast a pleasing color balance. I am still not happy though with the color of the corals.

OK my second question n I hope will not be too hard for you to answer. How can you get away from not doing water changes? I have read countless hours of material thru out my years in the hobby ( over 20 years ) an every were it says to change between 5% and 20 % depending on the size of the tank. Do you have a dosing system for additives like ZEOVIT or tropic marin additives these are just examples and any others out there………TO EVERYONE READING THIS POST I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THESE PRODUCTS OR HYPE THEM UP. I am just trying to mimic 250g system as it is a truly remarkable accomplishment. Thanks once again for not only sharing your system and tank pictures with everyone but for truly being an inspiration to me.

Thanks
Michael Iezza
AKA trueblackpercula
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 05/28/2007, 01:15 PM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Thanks Michael.

With regards to the lights, I change out my 20XM halides every 11 months. I have not heard of these only lasting 6 months, although I have heard this about Radiums. I change them every 11 months and there are no visual indicators that they need to be changed (visually to the eye, or the tank inhabitants). XM bulbs are the only 20 bulbs I have used - in the last 5 years I went from 10 Ushios, to 10K XMs to 20K XMs. I have only tried these. Different colours pop with different lights.

With regard to supplements, the way I wrote it up in the article is the way it is. Only supplements in my ystem come from my calcium reactor. Remember I do not have that many fish, and that I only feed flake food and spirulina pellets to the fish. Alot of people make comparisons to my tank to zeo systems...

Ironically, I did do a water change last week (2nd in as many years). Guess what happened - a colony RTN'd, have not had that happen in over a year. Thank got it was not a "premium" colony.

SPS dominated reef
Old 05/29/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

250G - Do you have any issues with humidity / moisture in your basement? I would love to have a set up in a basement, but have always been very skeptical given moisture issues. What has your experience been? How many gallons / litters a day do you add in top off water?
Old 05/30/2007, 01:28 PM
Hey sweetheart ;)

I use a 8" diameter fan to draw out the moist air. I had mould start growing before I added it. Not efficient for heating and cooling, but until my basement is finished I can manage. There would be no issues what so ever if you got a 200cfm Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV). Do a little search on the net and learn how they work - humidity issue solved properly.

I have my RODI unit hooked up directly to a float switch so I have no idea how much water I use. Gets filled automatically

Quote:
Originally posted by wingd
250G - Do you have any issues with humidity / moisture in your basement? I would love to have a set up in a basement, but have always been very skeptical given moisture issues. What has your experience been? How many gallons / litters a day do you add in top off water?

SPS dominated reef
Old 05/30/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

What do you mean 2000gp? gallons per day or hours?
Old 05/30/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

wow,,,nice tank!!
Old 05/31/2007, 09:05 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Thanks foober.

2000 GPH

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoCube-boy
What do you mean 2000gp? gallons per day or hours?

SPS dominated reef
Old 05/31/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank!!!
Old 06/02/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member.

awesome tank
Old 06/02/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I am curious since you said you feed no frozen food, what does your copperband eat, and how long have you had it?

I'd really like to get my copperband eating different foods.
Old 06/03/2007, 06:54 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Because of the size of my tank and the amount of liverock my CB can pretty much eat/live off my liverock. In small tankd it is pretty much required to get them to eat prepared foods if you want them to live longterm.

Quote:
Originally posted by EmilyB
I am curious since you said you feed no frozen food, what does your copperband eat, and how long have you had it?

I'd really like to get my copperband eating different foods.

SPS dominated reef
Old 06/03/2007, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Very nice tank.....
Old 07/15/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

hey dave, your tank is absoutly amazing.
anywas i live in windsor ontairo.
just wondering if you coudl give me an e mail at

duic@sympatico.ca

i am intrested in seeing your tank and wondering if you would be willing to trade me some corals?
Old 07/19/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

250g, thanks for the replied.
Old 08/30/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

mtc skimmer

hello
i too have a mtc 1000 and have trouble tweaking it was wondering if you have some input to it
mike
Old 09/03/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Really a very nice tank!!!!
I also live in toronto, but im just a novice at this for now, i was wondering if u can give me some of the names of the saltwater stores you mentioned, since i dont think its such a good idea to relly on generic pet stores for this type of thing.

thnx