Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Question Black spots on my cleaner shrimp.

Since about 48h one of my 2 cleaner shrimps has black spots on his exoskeleton. I read it is probably a fungus infection. Anyone experienced this? Is it contagious? The other shrimp is spotless. I was about to introduced more shrimps so I might wait a little.

I'm still looking for a cure.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 09/09/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I managed to take a picture.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 09/12/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Although you're probably MUCH more experienced than me, i too have experienced this w/ my cleaners. In My 2 most recent cleaners, one had them. (but now theyre gone)

(I've gone thru 4 dead cleaners, all from same store, all died from acclimation. The i bought from 2 other stores, both lively and cleaning.)

I learned that these black spots are just signs of age, aging, or your tank's conditions. They aren't a problem to your shrimps health, just to his looks. It's possible that they may disappear on their own just like mine, or they could change after a water condition change.
Old 09/12/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

It is still alive and well. I recently changed my alk from 2 to 4 meq/l. Maybe it was too drastic for him. I can't wait for the next molt to see if the black spots will still be there.

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 09/13/2007, 08:06 AM
Soul of a Sailor

The black spots aren't a sign of aging. They are signs of one of a few common diseases, none of which are treatable. They will disappear with each fresh molt, but come back with time. They will shorten the shrimp's lifespan slightly, but they're short-lived anyway.
Old 09/13/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

beg pardon, not trying to start a controversy, but where did you get your info. Mine is verified and known to be true in more than my tank. although both my cleaners had them and they disappeared.
Old 09/13/2007, 07:22 PM
Soul of a Sailor

It comes from shrimp farmers, mariculture classes, and people studying shrimp diseases. Black spots can be from Black Spot Disease, Black Gill Disease, various types of Vibriosis, Taura Syndrome Virus, and probably a few I'm forgetting. There have also been suggestions that there are fungal and nutritional problems that can cause the same symptoms.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

hmm... mebbe mine are "special" then

cos both of em had black spots when i bought em, but they didn't molt, and now they're gone
Old 09/13/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

here are a few pix of my 2 cleaners. Both of them started out w/ black dots, and both were from diff. stores. However, neither of them has molted since purchase yet.