Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 01/01/2008, 11:11 AM
My tank is too full

Fot those SPS'rs with sand,...

...if you were going to set up a new tank, would you go BB and make a change over to the "otherside" or stay true to the natural look?

I like the way sand looks and I understand its role in the aquaria, but as I am planning my new 180 upgrade, I've been getting some crazy thought that I should go BB because it is easier. I would also not have to worry about the sand vs starfire thing.

I go back and forth as I will be doing a large transfer over a couple of days, so I am thinking of ways to help things stabilize as soon as possible.

I have seen more and more BB tanks and atheistically, then just don't do it for me; it looks like something is just missing.

A lot of out dream tanks is Steve W's, and my appeal to his tank is its natural look, I guess this will be a personal thing that I will continue to debate. I just wanted to hear from others.

BTW, happy new years

To thine own self be true
Old 01/01/2008, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I would stay with sand personally. I have a bb frag tank and I really don't like how it looks. I have to constantly siphon the bottom to keep it from getting covered in junk.
I agree with your thoughts on the overall look of a bb tank. I also think they look unnatural and kind of goofy. I suppose if you are able to cover the bottom with corals (zoo's or something) then it might look alright, but in general I just love the look of sand way more. Plus I'm a firm believer in the importance of the life that lives in the sand for the overall health of the tank.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:31 AM
PNWMAS member

I am going to start a 240 soon and I'll use sand. I'm just going to go with a shallower sand bed then the last time. It'll be more like 1-2" instead of 5"+.

THERE IS ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!!

240 build in the works!.....(slowly)
Old 01/01/2008, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Shallow sand bed. I've tried dsb, bb, and ssb and ssb has been most sucessfull for me.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

I just changed to bb recently and I like it a lot. You need to have a fuge or a remote dsb though. I like how I can siphon the piles of detritus up. You are right though.. a sand bed does look very nice, I just got tired of the problems plus the pumps were blasting sand.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Going to new tank soon, will be using white starboard for bottom. Currently have DSB. I want to be able to adjust flow without worring about sand blowing every where. Also like the idea of RDSB. Also have heard of people gluing sand to the starboard to maintain somewhat of a natural look.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

good luck!!!!!!
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/01/2008, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

BB for me because when I vacuumed the sand I was disbelieve to see how much detritus and dirt accumulate underneath the shallow sand bed.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I would go with ssb it looks more natural as for the detritus that accumulates i use a couple of sea cucumbers and they take care of the sediment and detritus in no time.

Nestor
Old 01/01/2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I think next tank Ill use a thin layer of crushed coral substrate so I can have the sand look but the weight of the stuff will keep it in place...
Old 01/01/2008, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I've got a ssb with a slightly larger grain size than sand and I love it. I guess i'd call it a finer crushed coral. i've got lots of flow and no blowing around with this stuff.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

ive got a ssb in my 180 and wouldnt have it anyother way i dont like BB personally cuz it doesnt look too natural

also i think my sand bed keeps my waters parameters super stable i wouldnt wanna risk that

MASVC member
Old 01/01/2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

I have a ssb composed of crush coral because i like the natural look.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

I noticed my tank was quite unstable when it was barebottom. JMO though (Don't want to start a debate). DSB and BB seem to be the two extremes of the 3 different methods and ssb is the inbetween method. But, really I don't think whether or not you decide to have substrate is going to ultimately decide the course your reef will take. Good husbandry and stability is what will decide how well your reef does. From what I can see your reef is doing amazing with what you are employing right now. I think you should do what you do now on your next tank as it has proven to be sucessfull.

Good Luck with your decision!
Old 01/01/2008, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

very well put fishfanatic06
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/01/2008, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

I prefer a large grain SSB in my main tank, with a RDSB that is a extra fine grain.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

I would stay with the sand too. I love my 4 inch sand bed and the tank is doing great.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:32 PM
Never Satisfied

thin sand with thin rubble bottom here
Old 01/01/2008, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

ssb all the way!!! BB is imo is to unstable i was always trying to add nutrients/ amino acids to my tank to help with coloration
Old 01/01/2008, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

yes. ssb.

i've been in the process of removing my 1-2 inch bed, was going bb because of those same complaints. detritus build up. been doing it with water changes, little bit each week.

now that i am at about a 1/4-1/2 inch of sand, i think i found a happy medium. the detritus doesn't pile up in the lower layers as bad now because my super tongan nassarius snails can keep it turned over, i.e. its so shallow that the snails backs stick out the sands surface, like a sharks dorsal fin. so every morning the sand bed looks like a freshly raked sand bunker...for you golf junkies out here.

i still will continue to siphon sand at every couple changes, but will add fresh sand as it is needed, a la Steve W.

and sand will help maintain parameters. it is very true.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

bb all the way once coraline grows on the bottom cant even tell ad can have a lot of flow and not worry about sand blowing all over the place
Old 01/01/2008, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

I don't want to impose on your DSB, SSB debate. I've had sand in the past, love the way it looks. Hate the way it performs, never could get the long term stability out of it.. I run no sand anywhere in my system, not even in my refuguim.. No way I could accomplish this 500 gallon with sand... If I want sand I will go to the beach...

Happy Reefing

Old 01/01/2008, 11:20 PM
My tank is too full

Wow, that is a great looking goni. I am not trying to have a debate. I know a lot of reefers that are BB, but like so many others who agree, they are missing something.

I've done alot of surfing here on RC and through older threads and there are a lot of wonderful tanks both ways; with or without sand. I currently have a SSB and a RDSB and I just like the look. I also have plenty of flow so I have never understood that arguement. Thank you for those who contributed so far.

Kip, can you explain a little more. I was always worried that my diamond goby would choke on a piece of larger substrate. Thanks

To thine own self be true
Old 01/02/2008, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I know a lot of reefers that are BB, but like so many others who agree, they are missing something.
Missing something, sand??

Ask some of those sand bottom tanks how they fair about 4-5 years down the road...

It's the age old debate about different systems

Happy Reefing
Old 01/02/2008, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Ask some of those sand bottom tanks how they fair about 4-5 years down the road...
4.5 years and still going strong. Colors of course are as good as ever. Personally I feel that there is no right or wrong choice when it comes to sand. You can have an awesome looking reef either way. If I has it to do all over I would still do sand but a little larger grain instead of sugar sized.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!