Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 05/30/2007, 09:48 PM
Copperband Butterfly

GEO calcium reactor

Is this a good calcium reactor to get? If you got one, what else do you need to buy to make it work? You need a solenoid and regulator, bubble counter, co2 bottle, and co2 meter or something?

What is all needed? Thanks.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Yea, geo is good. I just got a hold of a reef octopus cr140 reactor. I won it but don't need it. way to big for my tank so I'm selling it. but yea all u need is the reactor. some reactors come with a built in bubble counter. then you need a regulator. Some regulators come with a built in solenoid valve, some don't. a co2 tank, minimum a 5lb tank will work, probably last 3-5 months before filling. then you need the argonite media, and finally the ph monitor or controller. a controller is much better. it will track ur ph reading and if it drops too low, it will automaticlly shut off ur co2 tank until it raises back up.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

geo is good stuff....you want a reactor, media,regulator with shut off solenoid and bubble counter,co2 tank and i would recommend a ph controller
Old 05/30/2007, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

IMO, Geo is the best. All Geos come with bubble counters. You will need a CO2 tank a regulator and media. Geo recommends large grain media like Shuran. I use Gen X large grain. With or without a reactor, you should have a PH monitor. While optional, I would recommend using a PH controller. The PH probe will sit in the top of the Geo and monitor the internal PH. You will need to buy a solenoid to turn on and off the regulator. WHen the probe reading gets to low (i.e below 4.5) it will shut off the CO2. When it gets too high, it turns on the CO2 solenoid.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

many places will sell the regulator and solenoid together
Old 05/30/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

I just bought a Geo reactor which I am controlling with an ACIII and internal probe. I don't know what should be an ideal effluent PH (internal) ? Geo recommends not going below 6.0 as it could turn the media to mush. What is a good internal PH setting for the reactor ?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

It depends on the media rather than the reactor. What media are you using? Nothing I know of requires below 6. I use the Gen X product and run mine in a range of 6.4 to 6.5. ARM can be run at a higher PH and can get muddy below 6.5. Anything above 6.5 will be fine. A lower PH will dissolve the media quicker and put out more ALK/CA per drop while a higher PH will put out less per drop but will make the media last longer. Your tank demands (which change as you add corals etc) will guide you.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I have a GEO 618. Well built and easy to use. Highly recommend. If you do get a GEO go for the large media, not the small ARM media. I just replaced my small ARM media with the Large ARM media. Much better now. I run my reactor at 6.5-6.8.
Old 05/31/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Best Regulator

This guy is big on plantedtank.net. I bought one off him a year ago. Excellent quality and service. Spend the few extra dollars instead of on oe of those cheaper ones available aquarium use.

I don't have a reactor yet but i will be running with one of these regs whn i do,
Old 05/31/2007, 10:48 AM
TANK RAIDER!

GEO 6x18 will be replacing small arm media with large in the near future. Overall best reactor in the market IMHO
Deltec and Procals are also very good
My pref is GEO
Old 06/01/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

I'm setting up my Geo 618 as I write. It was a breeze to setup. PH controller is set at 6.5 and the solenoid kicks in when it drops below that. BPM is about 75. The only problem I am having is getting my drip rate up to speed. I beleive Geo recommends 50ml of effluent per minute, I am only getting about 10 to 15 drops a minute, far below 50ml. I have a maxijet 1200 feeding from the sump and the Eheim pump that comes with the reactor circulating. Can anyone tell me how I might boost my effluent volume? Thanks.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

and the ball valve is all the way open? Check to make sure it is open. Check to make sure maxijet is working and no kinks in line. I use a maxi1200 and it pumps down 3 feet and back up 3 feet with no problem. It should be able to pump more than 200ml per minute. Something seems wrong. Could some media be in your line, blocking the flow?
Old 06/01/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Does not appear to be Matt, but I will check it over tomorrow morning. I'll disconnect the effluent drip line and see if I have a steady flow coming from the reactor. Maxi pump seems fine and Eheim circulating pump the same. Good flow in the main body of the reactor. Solenoid is opening and closing when it shold, just a low drip rate!
Old 06/01/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

yeah, the flow circulating in the reactor with the eheim and the solenoid for the CO2 both will have nothing to do with the flow rate. You'll just need to check the flow from the maxi to the geo and the flow from the geo to the sump (which is all controlled by the maxi only)--and make sure the ball valve on your effluent line is working. make sure there isn't a bunch of air at the top of the reactor as well. because of air trapped in media, it can take a few days to get a consistent drip rate but it should be able to produce a full stream.
Old 06/02/2007, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Matt, It was a super simple problem with my drip rate. A clogged effluent drip valve due to a tiny ball of packing foam. Full stream ahead!