Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Lunatic

Beckett

For some reason the Beckett skimmer I have just wont put out the bubble concentration it should be. Im new to Beckett type skimmers so any advice on how to make this thing put out the bubbles it should be would be appreciated. Heres acouple of pics. One is of the Beckett housing, the other is of the bubble concentration or lack of.... Mag 12 pump running externaly.

Last edited by JD52; 05/30/2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05/30/2007, 07:14 PM
Got frags?

Probably b/c your running a beckett with a mag12! Get a better pump for it... pressure rated is preffered... and then tell us how it runs!
Old 05/30/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Lunatic

My buddies running a Mag9 and it works much better than mine. What pump would you recommend? I used an Eheim 900gph and no difference.
Old 05/30/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Lunatic

My buddies running a Mag9 and it works much better than mine. What pump would you recommend? I used an Eheim 900gph and no difference.
Old 05/30/2007, 07:27 PM
Got frags?

Try an iwaki, or a blueline pump that pushes the same amount of water that the mag12 does. I guarantee you will see an improvement!!
Old 05/30/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Cool

yeah the mag 18 is way wrong for a beckett...I had a mag 18 hooked to my mr3 clone and it does nothin compared to a little giant that is actually 500 gph less than the mag.

swith to a little giant or blueline or iwaki and it will kick butt
Old 05/30/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

have you try to clean the injector???
if not...
turn off the pump open the housing and remove the injector...
something may be stuck inside it..
Old 05/30/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

with that injector design you will find that salt creep gets into the air valve, unscrew it and blow it out ...and i get small snails and other debris in the injector ....FWIW i run a blueline1100, and it seems that if i close the air valve till the chamber clears, then open it slowly, i get the finest foam if i dont open it all the way...
Old 05/30/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Lunatic

Yeah, Ive cleaned the injector several times, no diff. I went as far as to remove the little piece of plastic thats between the air valve and the ball, still no diff. I think it has to be the pump. What you see in the pic is actually with an airstone mod, theres practicly nothing being generated by the injector on its own. Thanks for all the help!~
Old 05/30/2007, 11:05 PM
Brother Maynard

hopefully this doesn't sound too silly...

but could your beckett injector be upside down?

looking at the pic of, what looks line the aor regulator, if it isnt diy, most manufacturers would have this point up rather than down.

also, though it has nothing to do with bubble production...the interior of your skimmer body appears to have gunk built up on it. keeping a skimmer clean also helps with better performance.

thirdly, beckett skimmers are an amazing way to skim your water. it is very 'effective' but not electrically 'efficient' when compared to needlewheels. but...needlewheels have challenges of their own.

Ben.
Old 05/30/2007, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

The "arrow" inside the beckett should be pointed up for reference. Also, the mag pumps are not good choices for becketts. Any number of pressure rated pumps are better. I use a rio hyperflow 32 for my AO 2000. A better pic of what you have going on with the skimmer would help also. Is the beckett above the water level in your skimmer?
Old 05/30/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Also, it looks like your beckett is gong from 1" inlet to 1/2" outlet from the beckett housing. I was never able to get a beckett to run with less than 3/4" outlet from the beckett housing. Too much back pressure on the beckett will ruin it quickly.