Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Intake for Sequence Dart Pump

In a tight spot here.... literally.

I got a Sequence Dart Pump recently to do a closed loop system in my 90 gallon reef tank.

Unfortunately, there's not enough room to get the 1 1/2" pipe down the back of the tank.... well there's ALMOST enough room.

So my options are... cut some drywall or pipe it with 1 1/4"..... anyone have any thoughts about piping it down to 1 1/4"?

Thx in advance....
Old 01/01/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

It will work fine at 1 1/4 inch. I run my Sequence 4200 on 1". Not sure if the manufacturer recommends this but it works fine for me
Old 01/01/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

cut the sheetrock out of the way...besides even if you went with the 1 1/4 it would probably vibrate against the wall anyway, and you will just be cutting the rock out later...besides a reduction like that would reduce the volume of flow a great deal...
Old 01/01/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Please disregard my post. I didn't pick up on the "intake." My experience was with the return. Sorry.
Old 01/01/2007, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

fwiw, my dart pumps have a 2" intake, and 1 1/2" return.
Do you have room to run 2 - 1 1/4" (or 1") pipes down the back of the tank, then "Y" them together for the intake?
Old 01/02/2007, 12:57 AM
King of the white corals

I say cut the drywall.

BUT, you are ok to reduce the darts intake as long as you do not exceed whatever you reduce it to on the return, or it will cause cavitation

But as already said........it will come at a price of reducing your flowrate, so cutting the drywall is still the best option.
Old 01/02/2007, 01:24 AM
Moved On

How are you getting from the tank? Are you going over the top? The fitting on the top, (the ninety) outside dimension is bigger then the dimension of the pipe itself

Are you that tight on clearance that a quarter of an inch makes a difference?

And the other poster is correct, the inlet is two inches, so are you thinking of going form two inches to one and a quarter.

That is too much reduction, if you were to split it then join it again, that may work, but...

Why is it that you can not move the tank??

Do major water change and get some help, Working from the bottom, slide one corner at a time, about a quarter of an inch at a time and cross your fingers...

BTW: if you are not going over the top and you are using bulkheads, the BH will stick out further then the fitting on the PVC, then you have to join the PVC.. you will need about five inches...

Good luck

Bill
Old 01/02/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

I am going over the top... and I think I have a solution that will work but I have to run to the hardware store first.

I haven't figured out why, but the old dart has a 2" intake and 1 1/2" discharge while the latest model has a 1 1/2" intake.... and a 1 1/2" discharge.

If my newest solution doesn't work, I'm going to be sawing the drywall, I don't want to risk any accidents while trying to move the damn thing 1/2"... even with a 50% water change I'm pushing 500 lbs....
Old 01/02/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

My plan didn't work..... cutting the drywall it is
Old 01/02/2007, 08:42 AM
Moved On

I can understand. My dart is brand spankin new, and it is 2" inlet, but I think you can order it in a couple different confffffigurations.

I have heard that some people have bent the pvc with or using a warmer, and maybe it would be possible to bend, FLATTENteh pipe. by placing it in teh oven for a few minutes then gently pressing on it. Maybe by sandwiching it between two smooth surfaces, i.e. wood

We are only talking about a quarter of an inch...

Trying to think outta the box...

Good luck.
Old 01/02/2007, 08:50 AM
Moved On

And if the floor is not carpet. I would bet money that two guys could move that tank, NO PROBLEMS. Even if the flo0or was carpet, two guys could move that tank.

If you took a two by four abouit 6 feet long, and stuck it behind the tank, at the bottom, olong the floor, and used it as a lever and opened it up like a scissor. you sit on the floor with your back to the wall, and your feet on the two by four, and you push the two by four with your feet, and the other guy stood in front of the tank and supported the tank, that way, you are just sliding the corner of the tank.

I say it will work.

You have two good choices. melt the pipe, move the tank. And I would move the tank.
Old 01/02/2007, 08:51 AM
Moved On

Wet the floor, mop the floor good and wet
Old 01/02/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I'm on carpet... although we did put one of those carpet protector vinyl things underneath it... so maybe....

Bending the pipe is an idea I had...... I'm still not sure which way I will go.

I'm still thinking of cutting the drywall... it'll never be seen and it's by far teh safest way to handle it.

Another question for the peanut gallery.... I have this adapter that takes a 1 1/2" (on the discharge side) and makes it into 8 barbed 3/4" outlets... so I can run water all over the place.

Any idea how many of teh 8 I should use... at first I was thinking about 6-7...but woried that might make them so weak it's not worth it.
Old 01/02/2007, 09:29 AM
Moved On

I am not sure how many, but hte more joints themore chance for leaks..

If you have three guys, you could lift and move a corner of the tank, If it is 500 lbs,or even more, three guys, lifting and moving a quarter of an inch is nothing, it is not like they have to lift it up any distance, it is just a squat lift.

And if is is carpet, you could use a pry bar, called a WONDER BAR.

It is wide , about two inches, and flat, like a chisel, and it is bent and shaped so that you could shove it in between the carpet and the stand. Once you get it is about a quarter of an inch or more, you can stand on it or apply weight like as in a lever, and it will lift the stand a skosh, a smidgenand get the weight onto a smaller area onthe floor, so you can pivot the standa quarter of an inch at a time.

But now I am feeling bad and would feel worse if you tried and it did not work or some catastrophe occured, all because I said to try.

So now, I am having second thoughts. Please do not move the tank.

I agree, safe is best, there is too much at risk...

I would not do it if it were my tank. Seriously. I apologize and withdraw all comments with directions to move thet tank.

And wish you the best.

Bill..
Old 01/02/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the added thought Bergovoy........... just not sure the reward of getting that extra 1/4" is worth the risk in this case.

Anyone got any thoughts on the number of outlets I should run?

My last thought is to run as many as i can... and if the pressure isn't good enough I can always take one or two out.