Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/05/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Maybee I'm missing something.

I've been doing alot of reading on protein skimming, needle wheel mods and becketts. What I found in one early article is that a water column can only effectively hold approx. 13 % air to be an efficient skimmer. But I didn't find info on how this early researcher came to this number. I'm thinking its based on calculation of optimal bubble size.

Anyone think this may be true?

The reason I ask is that as I've been playing with beckett air injection I've noticed that with mine there is a definite sweet spot where a foam head is stable and very large. Add more air and it becomes unstable. Add less air and the total foam head above the foam water interface shrinks.

The implication of this is that everyone's search to inject more air may be futile and this is just using more power than necessary. Anyone care to comment ?
Old 12/05/2006, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I can't comment on the max air volume, but I would say that this mod does more to make smaller bubbles than to inject more air.

Same volume of air, but in the form of smaller bubbles makes for more surface area on the bubbles, equals potentially better skimming.

To go back a bit (in this thread) traditionally people have used big strong pumps to force a ton of water through the beckett, drawing air at a max rate, which causes the air to strip off into small bubbles. The mod being disucssed (seems to) allow a smaller / lower pressure pump to acheive the desired smaller bubble size.

I may be off, but that's my understanding.
Old 12/10/2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I've been using the beckett with the mod for a month and half
22 holes of 1/16 diam...
JUST LOVE IT thanks for sharing with us

by the way my skimmer overall is 37"tall 6"diam 3/8 air inlet wide open
and is running with a mak4
man I wish that it was a bit taller
Old 12/11/2006, 06:22 PM
Flowalicious

Has anyone tried this with a big flow pump? I'm thinking something along the lines of a Dart driving a quad beckett?
Old 12/17/2006, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

tagging along
Custom MRC Sump Refugium
Circulation Tunze Wave Box
Main Pump - Sequence 3200
Cooling 3 - 119MM Fans and 1/4 HP Aqua Logic Chiller
Controller-Aquacontroller III
Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor
MRC Kalkreactor
Old 12/17/2006, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

can anyone put more detail pictures on what has to be done to the injectors. I have a blueline 1100 i like to used on a beckett competing againest my deltec.
Old 12/17/2006, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

IIRC, the mod seems to be working best for people with smaller pumps, and those with bigger pumps running the becketts haven't been seeing such an improvment.

But then oh yea, we talked about this today....

jk
Old 12/20/2006, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

I started my DIY unit with an Iwaki 30 pressure pump on the beckett. It did nothing but burp. I shortened the supply tower length by 18" and got the water to flow a little better but it still burped. I got frustrated with the beckett then added a NW pump which BLEW bubbles up the main tower but I wanted to get the beckett to work. I drilled LARGER holes in the four original openings to permit MORE air to flow and it worked. I then upgraded my pump to an Iwaki 70 pressure pump and I now have all the bubbles a guy could want.

[IMG][/IMG]

I really think the best solution was to increase the size of the original openings in the beckett head, not make them smaller. The idea of the inlet tower is to permit the turbulent water flow to break the large bubbles into small bubbles.

I know this goes against the grain of this thread and to be honest I was hoping to see some tangible proof that the multiple smaller holes actually improved the performance but I think we are still lacking.
Old 12/20/2006, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Oh yeah? Well how about small slits (like Mazzei uses) instead of holes?
Old 12/20/2006, 11:30 PM
Team RC Member

How is everyone decreasing the chances of little stomatella's, other snails, misc whatevers from getting clogged on the injectors. If you have a screen or what not on the intake, would you mind showing a pic?
Old 12/21/2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sherm71tank
Oh yeah? Well how about small slits (like Mazzei uses) instead of holes?
Old 12/21/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

very interesting thread, I have yet to make the mod but will once I get the pressure pump recommended for my skimmer. I have improved on what I originally ran by picking up on a few suggestions (thankyou) My skimmer was originally making large burps and it appeared to be caused by a build up of air at the top of the square shoulder of the base of the skimmer. I rectified a lot of this by bending a sheet of thin polycarbonate into the base preventing the bubbles from building up. Perhaps this condition is also prevelent amongst your skimmers or do you think the finner bubbles alone would prevent this from happening?
Old 12/21/2006, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBDC
How is everyone decreasing the chances of little stomatella's, other snails, misc whatevers from getting clogged on the injectors. If you have a screen or what not on the intake, would you mind showing a pic?
Well before anything can get to my injector it has to pass the macerator impeller of my extremely noisey Iwaki pump. Now this is not say that nothing can get by because it does and has. My skimmer performance dropped off one day so I took the beckeet head apart and found a little piece of macro algae, it shows up in the photo below. This was sufficient to hamper the performance of the head.

As far as removing the ball inside the unit, I tried it and ZERO performance resulted. It looks to me like it increases the velocity of the water (around the sphere) which causes the venturi action.

Carry on.
Old 12/21/2006, 09:30 PM
Team RC Member

The ball makes the flow very narrow then after it is past it, the larger chamber creates the suction. You wouldn't have any suction w/o it.
Old 12/21/2006, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shnapper20
Perhaps this condition is also prevelent amongst your skimmers or do you think the finner bubbles alone would prevent this from happening?
I think the best way to eliminate the burps is to increase the velocity of the water. This reduces the chance of the small bubbles from "pooling" into a large (er) burp.

Increase the velocity by increasing the flow with a larger pump - or - reduce the size of the pipe. I went from a 3" dia clear acrylic tube about 18" tall to a 1.5" dia PVC pipe about 10" tall. it doesn't look nearly as cool as the clear acrylic tube, but it works.
Old 12/22/2006, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

I just got a new Sequence Wahoo pump...it is pressure rated at like 1550 GPH and its only like 2.5ft from the pump to the beckett...I should get some good performance from that pump on my single beckett Trigger systems TS300.

Here are some pics of my skimmer pre-modded beckett:
http://www.einsweb.com/skimmer/

ein
Old 12/22/2006, 11:55 AM

That's got to be one of the prettiest skimmers I have ever seen!
Old 12/22/2006, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

It works great.....and I can completely disassemble it clean and reassemble it in 20 minutes max...

I have Scott at Aquarum Specialty building me a new custom sump....once thats complete I can hook the new pump to the skimmer...I bet it will perform really well then. I have a mag18 driving it now...

ein
Old 12/28/2006, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

22 drilled holes with a Mak4 and there is a big difference. Thanks for the mod!!!! I had to throttle the pump back a little and still can't open the air all the way but the foam is better and the burps are gone......
Old 12/30/2006, 12:54 AM
Engineer

I've been running one for months now- I can't say that I've seen a big performance boost with my exact setup, but it certainly has not hurt anything.

I'd certainly suggest it to any DIYer to give it a try.

Zeph
Old 12/30/2006, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

Guess I should have clarified. My skimmer is a 3 year old DIY beckett and never worked real well to begin with. It required daily tuning and was a real PITA. It was designed to run wet for the BB tank which I've recently changed back to DSB. The mod has helped quite a bit for me, it's been running about a week now and I haven't had to mess with it. The foam seems more stable because the burps are gone and the bubble do appear smaller.

I'm going to bite the "bullet" (no pun) and buy a new skimmer. I notice the ozone is taking it's toll on some of the plumbing on the old one. It would be nice to do the mod and use a smaller pump on the new skimmer and mayber use the mak4 for another CL.
Old 12/30/2006, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephrant
I've been running one for months now- I can't say that I've seen a big performance boost with my exact setup, but it certainly has not hurt anything.

I'd certainly suggest it to any DIYer to give it a try.

Zeph
What pump are you using on you skimmer?
Old 01/01/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

ok guys, im sold on redrilling my beckett, but i wonder ...is there a benefit to a taller downpipe between the injector and the skimmer base? (longer contact time)....and would it help if the downpipe was of a larger diameter? causing less velocity and allowing the bubbles within the downpipe to rise again and again till the bubbles were "heavy "with proteins??
Old 01/01/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

ok guys, im sold on redrilling my beckett, but i wonder ...is there a benefit to a taller downpipe between the injector and the skimmer base? (longer contact time)....and would it help if the downpipe was of a larger diameter? causing less velocity and allowing the bubbles within the downpipe to rise again and again till the bubbles were "heavy "with proteins??
Old 01/01/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

On my beckett skimmers i have the injector down as low on the base as it will go ,i have used taller downpipes ,the lower pipe works better.I get a quart of waste per day a low pipe helps to make this happen.