Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/06/2008, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Cleaning Equipment?

Hey all, I am getting back into the hobby and was wanting to find out how all of you clean powerheads, and such? When I took the tank down a year or so ago I was in a hurry and really didn't clean anything up before it went into a storage. Normally I used just fill a bucket up with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar but was wanting to know if there is anything else that can be used in place of vinegar?

Everything was covered in coraline algae before and it is being stubborn to get off completely.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

i personally just use vinegar. i don't dilute it tho, it won't be strong enought to damage anything.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:55 PM
Wife and dog.

What about regular cleanings? How long? Do I just drop in the powerheads and pumps and let them pump h20?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismhaase
What about regular cleanings? How long? Do I just drop in the powerheads and pumps and let them pump h20?
Yep, when I clean the powerheads I let them run for about 2 hours in a 10-20% solution of white vinegar & tap water.

For wipe down cleaning, 100% whire vinegar is fine.

White vinegar is real cheap at Costco or Smart & Final.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:38 PM
Wife and dog.

So do you have to take apart the units? Will all the coraline come off? I have 2 Tunze pumps that I need to get the coraline off of the grates.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismhaase
So do you have to take apart the units? Will all the coraline come off? I have 2 Tunze pumps that I need to get the coraline off of the grates.
I would run the pumps in the solution and most or all of the coraline will come off. Then remove the cover and impeller and wipe clean. I use a QTip to clean inside the cavity where the magnetic impeller goes.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Yea that is my same procedure I was just hoping there was a different cleaner that was safe to use and a little more effective.

Oh well I guess I got a little cleaning to do haha bout 30 powerheads and such in storage and six tanks.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

I would remove any rubber parts. Maybe I had too much vineger, but it destroyed my suction cups.