Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2004, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

What to do for fun that's free/cheap?

Well, the title says it all. Things are tight in the money department these days what with the mortgage and all and I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to beat the winter blahs that's free or at least relatively cheap. Let's hear `em if ya got `em
Old 11/29/2004, 07:27 PM
Montigyra kenti

Ok, this will require
1. A paper bag full of poop
2. A lighter or match
3. An unsuspecting neighbor's porch

Old 11/29/2004, 07:32 PM
Pulling my hair out

Jared - Not that I'm actually admitting to it (although I think statute of limitations is well past at this point) but have you ever seen the look on an old guys face when he came to his door greeted by that? Mean, yes I know...but when you're 13, it's really funny at the time. Ahhhh, childhood memories...
Old 11/29/2004, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keckles
Ok, this will require
2. A lighter or match

Done! Anybody know a good bail bondsman?
Old 11/29/2004, 08:12 PM
RainbowAcro

1-800-Bail-Out
Old 11/29/2004, 08:13 PM
possum chauffeur

are you married or do you have a girlfriend? I could think of some things that are cheap and will give you a good workout.
Old 11/29/2004, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JazzMan
are you married or do you have a girlfriend? I could think of some things that are cheap and will give you a good workout.
Nope, not married and no kids and I do have one girlfriend that I usually hang out with on weekends...hey wait a second...just what are you getting at?
Old 11/29/2004, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Get something to eat, stare at your tank, go for a walk, come back home, get something to eat, stare at your tank, go for a walk.........................
Old 11/29/2004, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

frisbee golf !!
Old 11/29/2004, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yukon
Get something to eat, stare at your tank, go for a walk, come back home, get something to eat, stare at your tank, go for a walk.........................
Great....now, have you got a good diet plan for what will happen after all that eating
Old 11/29/2004, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

LOL! Then how about - get something to eat, stare at your tank, go for a RUN............. I know whatcha mean though. We live in upstate NY, and winter can be rather boring. Having an outdoor job does help some, but when it gets cold, sometimes I wish I worked inside. Pray for a lot of snow. Then you can spend a lot of time shoveling!
Old 11/29/2004, 10:27 PM
Montigyra kenti

Great idea bogg! I forgot about frisbee golf. You can buy all you need for $20 and playing is always free. Very addictive game, I love it!
Old 11/29/2004, 10:29 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Well, you could just browse around RC.
Old 11/29/2004, 10:52 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Buy some classic LP records at the nearest thrift store for 99 cents a piece and listen to them on your stereo. If you don't have a turntable, pick one up on ebay for $35, tweak it with ideas from the Vinyl Asylum, and enjoy 15 albums of great analog music for the price of one sampled, digital CD.
Old 11/29/2004, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Great idea bogg! I forgot about frisbee golf. You can buy all you need for $20 and playing is always free. Very addictive game, I love it!
$20? hell man ive found at least 20-25 disks on the corse in the past year, i play almost every day lol, and disks only cost like $10-15 for nice ones too, i bought my falcon driver for $10, only disk i ever bought lol, its almost as addicting as reefin, wait, which one am i talkin about, i forgot o well
Old 11/29/2004, 11:21 PM
Will work for corals

Hmm giving blood/plasma is free and you get money at the same time lol seems like a win win situation to me.
Old 11/29/2004, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

wish i could... only 16 here, one more year and ill be dry!! i need $ lol
Old 11/29/2004, 11:39 PM
She is a lover!!!

Quote:
Ok, this will require
2. A lighter or match

LMAO
Old 11/30/2004, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Pray for a lot of snow. Then you can spend a lot of time shoveling!
But I hate shovelling snow!! Luckily, a co-worker gave me her old snowblower so I will certainly kill a lot of time trying to figure out how to use it

Quote:
frisbee golf !!
OK, what on earth is frisbee golf and how does one play it?

Quote:
Well, you could just browse around RC
But I already do that too much!

Quote:
Hmm giving blood/plasma is free and you get money at the same time lol seems like a win win situation to me.
Ummm....no

Quote:
Buy some classic LP records at the nearest thrift store for 99 cents a piece and listen to them on your stereo. If you don't have a turntable, pick one up on ebay for $35, tweak it with ideas from the Vinyl Asylum, and enjoy 15 albums of great analog music for the price of one sampled, digital CD.
But then I'll be showing my age and I'm already having a crises!!
Old 11/30/2004, 08:28 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by amcarrig
But then I'll be showing my age and I'm already having a crises!!
Quite the opposite. Many teens and 20-somethings are discovering vinyl for the first time. Much to their surprise, they are finding out that analog music sounds WAY better than the tinny, sampled sound of digital Red Book CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and most certainly better than mp3s.
Old 11/30/2004, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

It might sound lame, but.... Go for a walk in the park. Seriously. The wifey's been making me do it w/ her and our boy more and more, and.. well, I'll never admit it to her, but sometime's it is better than sitting in front of the tank.... W/ the 20-dollar budget, you can drive a short distance, and see something new (Connecticut's mountainy and pretty, ain't it?). Dunno what your State's Park system is like, but NY's got a ton of them all over the place. Having an interest in Nature really helps, but.... if nothing else, your Dr. will praise you for the exercise.

Or, you can go down to the bus-station and start waving that Jackson around. Someone will come up to you soon enough w/ an idea to kill a few hours.
Take up Hydroponics w/ your old MH bulbs?
Couple cases of whippit's always made for a fun Friday night!

Netflix will keep you occupied on the couch for a while at under 20-bucks a month.
Buy a new cooking book, spend Saturday's making something new?
Wine tasting/club?

.... And be careful of what Jazzman told you. Kids are a LOT more than 20-bucks! (know all about the Winter-time blah's).

- Mac
Old 11/30/2004, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMac
It might sound lame, but.... Go for a walk in the park. Seriously. The wifey's been making me do it w/ her and our boy more and more, and.. well, I'll never admit it to her, but sometime's it is better than sitting in front of the tank.... W/ the 20-dollar budget, you can drive a short distance, and see something new (Connecticut's mountainy and pretty, ain't it?). Dunno what your State's Park system is like, but NY's got a ton of them all over the place. Having an interest in Nature really helps, but.... if nothing else, your Dr. will praise you for the exercise.

Or, you can go down to the bus-station and start waving that Jackson around. Someone will come up to you soon enough w/ an idea to kill a few hours.
Take up Hydroponics w/ your old MH bulbs?

Netflix will keep you occupied on the couch for a while at under 20-bucks a month.
Buy a new cooking book, spend Saturday's making something new?
Wine tasting/club?

.... And be careful of what Jazzman told you. Kids are a LOT more than 20-bucks! (know all about the Winter-time blah's).

- Mac
Doesn't sound lame at all but once it starts snowing, walks in the park won't be at the top of my list....if only skiing weren't so expensive, I could take that up! God knows there's enough ski resorts around here.

As for kids, ain't gonna happen unless immaculate conception becomes "popular" again so no worries there!!

All of your suggestions are great.....except for the whole waving my Jackson around and doing whippits thing

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11/30/2004, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joeychitwood
Quite the opposite. Many teens and 20-somethings are discovering vinyl for the first time. Much to their surprise, they are finding out that analog music sounds WAY better than the tinny, sampled sound of digital Red Book CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, and most certainly better than mp3s.
That's very interesting....I've been arguing this point for years now and nobody would believe me! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way!
Old 11/30/2004, 09:23 AM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferMac
Yeah... My um, mom's...um making a pie... Yeah... A really big one....
Old 11/30/2004, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

OK - these ideas might sound dorky, but here goes. Cook!!!! Cooking is easy, you get to eat what you make, and it's a great thing to do on cold winter days. Cook together with your girlfriend - food can be fun!!!! I used to cook for my husband in lingerie - didn't get much cooking done, but it sure was fun!

Also, where in CT are you? there are tons of historic sites and buildings to visit, and they usually don't require a big entrance fee. We go to Hartford to visit the Twain house, the Norwalk aquarium is cool, and you can always go to Stew Leonards and talk with the talking animals.

Food for thought, no pun intended!!!

Cheryl