Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

LFS Plugs

My LFS has converted to gluing frags on 'cement' plugs similar to this:

The plugs are hideous and look terrible in your tank until the frag completely over grows it. I have had some success with pulling small single stag SPS frags from the 'cement' and then re-gluing them to reef rubble and using Epoxy to glue the RR to LR in the tank. But some of the frags I have purchased are not easily removed without breaking the frag, and softies forget about it. Are all LFS using these now instead of reef rubble? Have any of you experienced this? If so what method are you using?

**I am officially appointing my self the unauthorized president of the 'I Hate Plugs Association' better know as (IHPA) LOL
Old 10/09/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

The plugs are everywhere, and I agree they are an eyesore. Best advice I could give is to brake off as much of the plug as you can with a hammer and chisel and just wait it out. I'll take the VP title of IHPA.
Old 10/09/2006, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

One other thing I was curious about, this whole ‘cement’ thing. I was reading some DIY threads on make your own LR and all the chemical imbalances this can cause with ALK and PH. I am kind of worried that there is a chance buying a frag from a LFS that has the wrong mix of plugs can ultimately put your tank parameters out of wack.

Quote:
Originally posted by coralfever
I'll take the VP title of IHPA.
coralfever Welcome abord!
Old 10/09/2006, 04:44 PM
Flow Master

When it comes to SPS, I believe most people usually detach the frag from the plug anyway and glue it to a piece of rock.
Old 10/09/2006, 05:47 PM
Just some guy, You know?

I usually cut the base of the plug off and glue the top of the plug to a rock, the coral will encrust over eventually anyway.

Whiskey
Old 10/11/2006, 09:18 AM
Farmer

I know for a fact that the original designer of the frag plugs shown above (the ones in the pic above are a copy) cures them in fresh water for at least 30 days before any shipping, so chemical imbalance should not be a problem.

Also, the original plugs have a coating of fine aragonite sand on the top, which helps the coral attach more quickly. This means that the coral will cover the plug faster and hide the plug sooner. If your frags havn't covered the plug they probably havn't been frags for very long.

You may think that they are ugly but they are designed to aid farmers that use eggcrate and they allow the farmer to farm more frags successfully which should make the frags cheaper for you. Finally the design of the plug makes it very easy to place and to secure in a hole or a crevis in reef rock, which IME is alot easier then trying to find a spot for or secure a reef rock that is irregularly shaped.

Good luck with the IHPA

Jon