Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

The new Phosar HC.Phos.remover

Not sure if this just happened to me using the newer HC,by Warner Marine.I've used the other version,before this one came out.Not so sure if it's a concern or not.Because this never seem to happen with their other media.The older brand keep that dark brown color,as the day I put it in.
The new HC has been in the reactor a week now.But what was strange the media after one week has turn "black" in color.Does anyone know if they have scene the same thing occur
I just thought it was the same stuff,,but a larger grain size.Or is it possible it's exhausted already?Because I understand usage anywhere to 6/8 weeks.
Just wondering what I'm seeing is a normal thing?
Old 12/29/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

I have the HC and it is a different formula and darker in color and heavier.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

You mentioned darker in color?
Mine went from that dark brown to black now.
Just trying to find out,if this is a normal color shift?Because I've scene where other folks have used it.But this wasn't really mentioned.Just want to make sure,that's all.Maybe I just freak out when I notice this.I want to at least ask if others scene this same thing happen.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Not sure about the HC, but I just dumped out a bag of the regular Phosar the other day. It had been in the sump for several months. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but now that you mention it it was also black when I dumped it. Not sure if that indacates it was "used up" or just turns after time. I've never noticed it turning black before and have been using the same batch for some time.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Well, at least I'm not the only one that has scene this.When I first saw it reminded me of carbon.That's why I posted this,to find out what's the story here.Like I mentioned mine turn within a week.Maybe this is what it's supposed to do.I don't have a clue
It might be nothing to worry about.My concern when I noticed it,was it max.out.Or worst yet,leeching back into the system.It's just that I used there old stuff,before HC was around and this didn't happened at all.So just trying to find out,one way or another here.GOOD /BAD.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

The one who probably knows what's up here is "Jdieck" he did a lot of testing with the new media before it came out.And he mentioned as being really good stuff.Maybe he took some free time/vacation with the holidays maybe he can chime in here.But I'm sure he knows the answer to this for sure.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

yhpm