Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Aquarium Stand Failures

Hi all. I asked this on a freshwater board a year ago and never really got an answer.

I picked up a 48x18 AGA pine stand (oak color) off of craigslist a few months ago and I just started refinishing it this last week or so. In addition to just sanding it down and apply several new coats of poly, I added 3/4" laminated pine boards(secured by screws which were pre-drilled and counter sunk) to the top and bottom of the stand. I did this because I am putting a 90g SeaClear acrylic aquarium on it and the bottom of an acrylic tank needs to be fully supported.

As I near completion I am beginning to worry about whether or not these pine stands AGA puts together will support the weight a a 90g aquarium (water weight alone is about 810lbs) not including the weight of a 6inch sand bed and live rock.

Has anyone ever had or heard of these pine stands failing?

Additionally, I am less but still concerned about the use of the 3/4" laminated pine board I used as a top. I arrived at the decision to use such because I could not find a solid pine board 18inches wide(although i probably could have bought either a 1x10 or 2x10 and used two across). I wanted it to look visually pleasing(did not want an ugly edge like plywood). I did not add any additional bracing underneath the board. Will the weight when spread across the board from the acrylic tank be too much for this?

I know i may seem paranoid but this setup is going in the dining room which had about 2 grand worth of hardwood flooring installed less than 6 months ago.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Im not sure if ther stand will support a 90. The stand was made to support a certain size tank and they are weight tested. When they are tested the stands are able to support more than what the tank/water, substrate weigh. But If the stand was made for a 75 gallon, I dont know If I would trust a 90 being full etc for the stand to hold up.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Most modern aquarium stands seem extremely under built. I am using one for my 75, but don't like it. I plan on moving it in a few years.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

You always see these builds for stands that look like they could hold a tanker truck (some of them probably could) but I've yet to come accross a thread where a stand actually failed. Not saying it doesn''t happen, but it seems more common to hear of a tank cracking or failing. I will admit the AGA stands do look pretty weak, but I image they still build them with a fair margin for error (they gotta figure for defects etc...). If one came down it could be a hell of a lawsuit.

not telling you it will be ok, just running my yap...

-S
Old 11/10/2007, 10:47 PM
Master of Funk

I have a stock AGA stand for my 72 bow. It is almost three years old and no problems thus far other than rusty door hinges from when the sump was in there.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:50 PM
Movin On Up

I've just got done with mine. And yes it could support a tanker.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 11/10/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

AFAIK there's no difference between a 75g and 90g stand - a manufacturer's 48" x 18" stand will hold either. I have a pine stand under my 30g and 90g (same design) and it's just fine - the stands I worry about are the ones made from particle board, because if they're exposed to water, they swell and weaken. Wood is surprisingly strong, and I can't imagine a manufacturer building something that's likely to fail under normal use, especially considering many companies will guarantee the tank for 20 years provided it has been housed on top of one of their stands.