Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

milwaukee ph and reverse ph controllers

I have a Ca and limewater reactors from My Reef Creations with Probe holders in the top and an auto top off system. I'm interested in adding a ph and a reverse ph controller by milwaukee to the setup. What is the configuration for doing so to avoid overdoses and accidents?
Old 09/04/2007, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

drip your effluent from the reactor into a small container and place the probe from your controller in there as well. Set the controller to a set point of lets say 6.9. When the effluent ph rises above that setpoint the controller will tell your selenoid valve to open to allow co2 into the reactor chamber. This will drop the ph back down in the reactor thus causing carbonic acid which is what will desolve the media and give your tank what it needs. Some rectors have a place made for the probe,but if yours dosnt just use a small container like a glass that is tall enough to be above your sump water level. Make sure the probe dosnt get totally submerged, just about half way. You can use a zip tie to hold it in place. Hope this helps you Where in Carolina?
Old 09/04/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply! Do you know anything about the reverse controllers by milwaukee? The aquarium has an automatic top-off unit that feeds through the limewater reactor. I've read about overdoses and entire aquariums dying because setups like this got stuck on. I belive "snowstorm" was the word used to describe it. That reverse controller I'm hoping cuts the power to the top-off in case a float gets stuck. I can't find much information about them though.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Yep that's exactly how the reverse SMS-122 works. It will cut power when the pH rises above the set point. This is to prevent an overdose of kalk. I looked into this option when setting up my kalk reactor (Geo), but instead opted to use the Litermeter since it better fit my needs.