Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

OT--- wildlife rehabilitation centers

does anyone know of a wildlife rehabilitation center on the southside? or closer to kankakee? my boys just happened to find 3 baby ducklings this afternoon. we looked for the mother and it seems these 3 must have gotten seperated. i dont want to raise these guys but will if i cant find somewhere for them to go. lmk if you have any suggestions. thanks, seth
Old 07/27/2007, 04:17 PM
OT JUGgler

there is a place that takes animals only if they are found in dupage county. isn't that were you found them? i believe it is called the willow brook wildlife center. the problem with raising them yourself is that the mallards will become attached to you and will not be able to do well in the wild. at this wildlife center, they "raise" the animals so that they can be ire-introduced into the wild. normally, the mom does not "lose" there babies. its possible something happened to her. a couple months ago i found 5 ducklings that kept going into the street to be with their mother that was killed by a car. i was able to capture them and bring them to the wildlife center.
Old 07/27/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

well, i live in a subdivision and every year there is a mother and babies. i also think it is weird that there are only 3 babies. so im assumeing they got seperated somehow. cat, dog, my KIDS. i put them in a carrier and put them outside to see if the mother would come to there calls but no luck. if no one else chimes in i will be calling dupage county.
Old 07/27/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

A lot of times the parents will leave the ducklings and start a second or third clutch of eggs. The ducklings are on their own and have to fend for their selves at this point.
Old 07/27/2007, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

http://www.dupageforest.com/EDUCATION/willowbrook.html

I know they take injured animals, not sure about abandoned.
Old 07/27/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

they appear to only be days old. thanks for the link.
Old 07/27/2007, 06:30 PM
Moved On

what if you went to a pond and found another duck w/ babies I bet they'd follow them and the mom would raise them as her own... I dont know for sure though.
Old 07/27/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

i dont know if that would work....wouldnt they have our smell on them and scare the rest?
Old 07/27/2007, 11:14 PM
OT JUGgler

Quote:
Originally posted by criccio
http://www.dupageforest.com/EDUCATION/willowbrook.html

I know they take injured animals, not sure about abandoned.
they do take abandoned animals as long as they were found in dupage county you did find them in dupage county, right!

here are the fotos of the ducks i found orphaned.

Old 07/27/2007, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

I have a dupage address but kankakee is a long drive
you may be better of finding a surrogate. Also I believe there is a place around Palos that does this sorta rescue. If memory serves it was called Little Red School house. not much but my Memory isnt what it used to be
Old 07/27/2007, 11:55 PM
OT JUGgler

your memory is good however, the little red school house does not take in animals anymore.
Old 07/28/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

I volunteer in Cook County doing prairie restoration work. The Little Red School House no longer takes in animials. You may want to try Trailside Museum on First Avenue in Riverforest/Oak Park. They did rescue work there, but stopped for a while because they got complaints from the people in the Palos area being tired of having to kill all the racoons that were raiding their garbage cans that Trailside removed from Oak Park and Riverforest.

The County has a website. Search under Forest Preserve District of Cook County.
Old 07/28/2007, 10:54 AM
Moved On

the whole thing about the human scent on the animals isnt true.. one of those old tails ppl always say
Old 07/28/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

ok, i was told that mother ducks do not take on babies that arent theirs. the will drown them...also it seems we dont have any rehabilitators in our area. looks like i may be daddy duck fir a few months.
Old 07/28/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

ok, i found someone local....thanks all for your help.