Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

If you ever consider not dipping your corals...

Then you might want to consider the consequences!
This was off of one 2" coral I got shipped to me!!!

I stopped counting at 100!!
ALWAYS, ALWAYS dip your corals!
Old 04/07/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

ok daddy are those redbugs or flatworms?i cant tell what im looking at.i dont know much about these pests but i know they are bad.and i also know im free of them for the moment.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:08 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Look like FW. RB are teeny tiny (so, actually, they may be in there too )

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 04/07/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

AEFW. Lots of them. I was so disgusted with the amount on such a small piece that I felt like sharing! Needless to say that the coral is in the great reef in the sky! NOT in my tank!
Old 04/07/2007, 11:16 AM
Nice Tank!!....I hate you

So what did you use for the dip??
Old 04/07/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

did you contact the seller and show them the pics?id want a refund or something from them.i guess id pass on another coral from them lol.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I contacted them and they are "shocked"! They are giving me my money back.

I used Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure and FWE with Lugols. I use this for ALL of my corals and soak them for 30-45 minutes.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

good to hear they are taking care of you.i guess they realize it would be bad buisness to NOT refund you in full.
Old 04/07/2007, 01:21 PM

Private party or vendor? If it's a vendor, I'd feel obligated to share which one so nobody else gets them
Old 04/07/2007, 01:34 PM
Moved On

Yes, please mention the vendor...

d.
Old 04/07/2007, 01:41 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Private party or vendor? If it's a vendor, I'd feel obligated to share which one so nobody else gets them
AGREE ! Altough we are all responsible for anything and everything we put in our tanks.
Old 04/07/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

If it were a retail vendor I would let you know in a heartbeat but this was a private party that I was going to start trading with. He is not a RC member, sorry.
Old 04/07/2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
Mmmm, not sure I agree. I know which vendor I got RB from, contacted them, and they have been VERY accomodating and understanding. I'm not sure calling them out on the boards will help anyone, since you really should treat all corals as if they do have these pests anyways.

Old 04/07/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

so Jax-the coral didn't make it through the treatment or QT?
Old 04/07/2007, 04:30 PM
Moved On

It was thrown away I would think.

d.
Old 04/07/2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Mmmm, not sure I agree. I know which vendor I got RB from, contacted them, and they have been VERY accomodating and understanding. I'm not sure calling them out on the boards will help anyone, since you really should treat all corals as if they do have these pests anyways.
Nonsense... It's their business. There's only two options, either they don't know enough to realize they have pests or they know it and haven't taken steps to correct it. Either way there's no excuse for passing them along if you're a legitimate vendor
Old 04/07/2007, 06:44 PM
Moved On

FWIW

I can see a lot of what is in the bucket as looking like pests but alot of those creatures look like small crustaceans, ie:copopods and amphipods... redbugs are tiny, flatworms well thats obvious.

good looking out on the dip. always a plus
David
Old 04/07/2007, 06:53 PM
SPS PIMP

It doesn't matter what vendor it is. You guys should be dipping all your corals anyway. Pretty much almost everyone in my area has AEFW's, had AEFW's, or doesn't know they have AEFW's. DJ you definitely did the right thing by not putting that coral in your tank.
Old 04/07/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

There are some pods and such in there but I removed most of them after taking the picture and counted the flatworms and stopped at 100 with plenty more to go. There was so many on the coral that they were peeling off in the bag it was shipped in!

I have over 200 sps corals in my tanks and recieve shipments once or twice a month. I have never seen an infestation like this.
Old 04/07/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Is your dip a mix of both TMPCC, FWE, and Lugols or do you use two different dips? If all three in one, how much of each do you use?

Sounds like a safer dip than just the TMPCC that I use now.

Bob
Old 04/07/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Mmmm, not sure I agree. I know which vendor I got RB from, contacted them, and they have been VERY accommodating and understanding. I'm not sure calling them out on the boards will help anyone, since you really should treat all corals as if they do have these pests anyways.
Totally agree. I just received 4 corals a few days ago, after dipping and closely inspecting each one several times a day, it wasn't until the second day of inspections I saw the first monti nudi. To expect a retailer to inspect a shipment of 100-500 or more corals upon arrival and declare each one bug free is not realistic. Assume all in-coming coral is infected and proceed accordingly.
Old 04/07/2007, 07:41 PM
Huahine Sunset

DaddyJax - Thanlks for taking the time to post this!

-Chris
Old 04/07/2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
Nonsense... It's their business. There's only two options, either they don't know enough to realize they have pests or they know it and haven't taken steps to correct it. Either way there's no excuse for passing them along if you're a legitimate vendor
Option 3. You contact them about the problem. They fix it. IME outing the vendor on a board easily turns into a smearfest. I don't think that serves anyone's best interest. Besides, I find it hard to believe that there is any vedor that sells acros that hasn't had RB and/or AEFW make it past QT to a customer at one time or another. I'll admit daddyj's total AEFW infestation is an extreme case, however.

Old 04/07/2007, 08:27 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
IME outing the vendor on a board easily turns into a smearfest. I don't think that serves anyone's best interest.
yup
Old 04/07/2007, 09:21 PM

I'll agree on that point and I agree with taking personal responsibility by quarantining or dipping yourself. But any vendor worth their salt [pun intended ] should quarantine new arrivals long enough to know whether they have any bugs or not. Some of the more reputable ones do...