Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/18/2006, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

you will be fine. The LFS i supply has a 400 gallon fairy tank and he has 3 lineatus and a pair of rhomboids and is adding pink margins...
Old 07/19/2006, 04:32 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by heuerfan
[B]UPDATE: positive news, male flame came out a bit longer today and actually ate some mysis.

My flame took almost a week before he came out aggressively steven. The female was out the same day she arrived. He's 5+ inches. The female 3". Just took cyclopeeze flakes this evening. Mysis are their staple. I believe he shows for the female in the upper left hand corner of a 75. He stays close to the surface, and flaps his dorsal fin continuously in a wave type fashion. Very, very fast. She will swim above him, almost touching his dorsal. My rubriventralis is always extremely curious of this. Constantly watching and annoying the pair. The rubriventralis spends much time swimming next to and trying to interract with the female when lights are on. To the point of harrassment on occasion. He even flares his fins and seems to try and display to her as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mr. Tanaka: I've never seen pics of the jordani with the blue highlight on the end of the tail and anal fin that this one has. Does this indicate a supermale jordani?

Last edited by danieljames; 07/19/2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07/19/2006, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

Here is a picture sequence of the courtship behavoir and the spawning of Australian C. bathyphilus. The qulity is not good, but you can see the moves and the coloration:

Peter
Old 07/19/2006, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by danieljames
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by heuerfan
UPDATE: positive news, male flame came out a bit longer today and actually ate some mysis.

My flame took almost a week before he came out aggressively steven. Does this indicate a supermale jordani?
Thanks Daniel, wow 5 inches, and i thought mine was big at 4inches! He sure is a beauty, love the blue trim on his fins. I've seen pictures of flames with the blue trims on the internet but can't remember where. Best of luck with pair!
Old 07/19/2006, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

Those moves are very similar to those of Mandarin fish (I would post pictures but it is off thread). It turns out, after watching that my flames and vanuatu C. bathyphilus also spawn. Now I have to figure out how to capture the eggs and try and do something with them. Unfortunately they go into the overflow. I need to check what if anything makes it downstairs to the sump.

~Steve~
Old 07/19/2006, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

i think my flames are spawning as well (or trying to) my female is constantly fat even when i dont feed the tank and they are both much more aggressive now then they use to be. Im adding 2 more females, so i hope that will make my male flare and bounce more. I hope the first female doesn't get mad and beat the others up!

There is a place in Hawaii that is trying to breed flame wrasse and raise the fry. They havn't had much luck so far. I dont think they can get the fry to eat anything...
Old 07/19/2006, 05:31 PM
Reefing is fun again

Here are a couple pics of my C. balteatus displaying to the camera.

Old 07/19/2006, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

By the way, thanks to Peter Schmiedel who suggested that I watch for spawning behavior. I never thought to check for it.

~Steve~
Old 07/19/2006, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

whoa! nice one! Marshall islands have so many nice fairies. I bet half aren't even discovered yet!!
Old 07/19/2006, 09:11 PM
Got Nog?

I wish my male flame had that blue trim on his tail. Thats a beautiful balteatus, I might be picking up a male this weekend.

Scott
Old 07/19/2006, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

When I was there recently, Deep Reef had a pair of Balteatus with a gorgeous female and an acceptable male.

~Steve~
Old 07/19/2006, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

danieljames,

Nice pics and the last one shows a male of C. rubriventralis, not jordani. Here is my male specimen from Sri Lanka, 7cm. It has a single (or double) filament(s) on dorsal fin.

Also nice pics and thanks all.

The Australian (Holmes and Flora Reefs) bathyphilus shows a different coloration that I have never seen. Also the balteatus is well illustrated, and thanks all.

Old 07/19/2006, 10:27 PM
Got Nog?

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
When I was there recently, Deep Reef had a pair of Balteatus with a gorgeous female and an acceptable male.
Steve if its their Saturday the male Balteatus will be mine!!

I will be ordering another rhomboid from Brian soon.

Scott
Old 07/19/2006, 10:40 PM
Who dat?

When my male Girdled displayed towards the two females its gold bar would turn as white as its belly and the rest of the body would get very dark. It was quite impressive.

The best picture I have of it as an adult male.

When it was younger.

And younger still.

As much as I like them I can hardly give them away at the shop or Rhomboids either for that matter.
Old 07/19/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

This is what my male Balteatus looks like when relaxed

When dispalying.

There are no female Balteatus in the tank.

Mike
Old 07/19/2006, 10:53 PM
Got Nog?

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
When my male Girdled displayed towards the two females its gold bar would turn as white as its belly and the rest of the body would get very dark. It was quite impressive.

The best picture I have of it as an adult male.

When it was younger.

And younger still.

As much as I like them I can hardly give them away at the shop or Rhomboids either for that matter.
Dave with your experience with them are they as hardy as lineatus and some of the higher end fairy wrasses? I heard they can be an aggressive for a fairy wrasse, just wondering.

Scott
Old 07/19/2006, 10:53 PM
Who dat?

Yep ,like that and he'd have all his fins erect. He was such a "queen."
Old 07/19/2006, 11:21 PM
Who dat?

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltecRules
Dave with your experience with them are they as hardy as lineatus and some of the higher end fairy wrasses? I heard they can be an aggressive for a fairy wrasse, just wondering.

Scott

IME and IMO the ones in the US ( I couldn't say about anyplace else) seem to be so but I don't believe that is a reflection on lineatus being a more delicate fish. I believe it has to do with the whole chain of custody of each fish. As an example: I really like Multi-bar angels and in the past while they were cheap they never fared well as a whole when I would try and bring one in, so I stopped trying. Now I get Multi-bars out of the Marshall's and they do great. It's not like the Multi-bars swimming in other parts of the world were sickly and the ones in the Marshalls are superfish. I think it has to do with everything from capture to arrival and some fish have it pretty tough depending on the path they take.

As to how aggressive, he didn't seem to be a bully but he was not timid either. This is what he was around ........
2xRhomboid Fairy Wrasse
1xLaboutes Fairy Wrasse
3xLubbocks Fairy Wrasse
1xYellowfin Fairy Wrasse
1xCoral Sea Fairy wrasse
1xThreadfin Fairy wrasse
1xRosey Scale Fairy Wrasse
3xGirdled Fairy Wrasse
1xFlame Fairy Wrasse

...and of those the Laboutes was the boss.

The male Girdled I have at the shop is in with a Lubbock's and a large "resident" Blue-sided fairy and the Girdled is the more dominant.
Old 07/19/2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
danieljames,

Nice pics and the last one shows a male of C. rubriventralis, not jordani.
Yes sir. that is the rubriventralis that shows constant curiosity with the jordani's displaying.

Mr. tanaka: Does the blue highlight on the tail and anal fins indicate a supermale jordani? I have not seen any other pics of the blue on the fins. Also, how do you tell the male rubriventralis from the female?
Old 07/20/2006, 03:04 AM
Premium Member

No, I do not think so; any species of males of Cirrhilabrus can change colors partially while it is exciting, and it seems one of the exciting colors, but I have never seen such a coloration. Usually there is no submarginal line but yours has a blue one. I have seen a photo of a male having a blue edge to the caudal fin taken underwater in Hawaii.

A very interesting photo and individual. Thank you.
Old 07/20/2006, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

a new comer

Today I got a 6cm Cirrhilabrus. The locality of capture is not detected but probably from northern Sulawesi or from s. Philippines (Cebu).

It seems lunatus but has a darker body and a broad red area along the back. It cost some $85,-

Old 07/20/2006, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Male flames that are 4+ inches will have the blue fins. Although most are not as bright as the one posted. Mine is 3.5" and is starting to get a faint purple around the tail and dorsal fin.
Ive seen 12+ male flames in the 5" range that have all had the blue fins - i consider them to be "supermales"
Old 07/20/2006, 01:09 PM
Moved On

anybody have a harem of HI Flame wrasses in their tank? if so, can you please share a pic or two? how often does the male flash? I've been very fascinated at these fishes and would love to own a harem in the future..

Thanks
Marvin
Old 07/20/2006, 01:10 PM
Moved On

Re: a new comer

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
Today I got a 6cm Cirrhilabrus. The locality of capture is not detected but probably from northern Sulawesi or from s. Philippines (Cebu).

It seems lunatus but has a darker body and a broad red area along the back. It cost some $85,-

That's a nice looking fish... hope to scuba or snokel around Cebu when I visit the Philippines...

Marvin
Old 07/20/2006, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Marvin,

See snorvich's photo gallery.