Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/26/2005, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Building a Stand for a 35 Hex. Step by step

I think everyone likes to see the step by step of others projects getting built, so here what I spent my day doing:

The wife has taken an interest in keeping seahorses. After she did her research, she decided she wanted to use a 35 hex tank. So I designed the stand for the tank yesterday, and picked up all the wood. The critera for the stand was: had to be able to easily get a 10 gallon in and out for a sump, and it had to be a decent height to accomodate the Aqua-C urchin that was going to be doing the skimming.

I had the tank drilled in the back panel for a 1" bulkhead drain to the 10 gallon sump. I then built a 8"x4"x4" overflow box and siliconed it into the tank. Later we spray painted the back glass pane black. It made the overflow disapear!

Since a hex shaped stand wouldnt hold the 10 gallon sump, I decided on a 24" square stand. All of the materials are red oak (either plywood, or solid stock).

I started by laying out all my cuts on some graph paper and cutting them on the table saw. Heres the stack of pieces cut and ready

The next step was taking the pieces for the front and pack panels and laying them out for some #10 biscuits to hold them together

Old 02/26/2005, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Since it was kinda cold out I did all my glue up work in the house. The tape is on the wood to make glue spill out easy to clean up, and the wax paper to protect the table.

Then it was on to glue up and clamping. After the clamps were placed, everything was checked for square. The same process was used for both front and back panels.

While those dried I went back out and added the support runners to the bottom of the inside bottom shelf. This will keep the bottom from bowing with the weight of the sump.

The top is made up of two pieces of plywood. Since my clamps were in use allready, I just smeared the inside faces with glue and evenly spaced out a bunch of screws to hold it together while the glue dried.

Old 02/26/2005, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Next I added some pieces to help support the bottom shelf to the side pieces of the case:

Then I added pocket screw holes to the sides of the case so that the front, back, and top can be attached with later. I was original going to use all buscits but thought this would be a good way to take it apart if I needed to at a later time for storage or something.

I went ahead and cut and fit the solid trim for the top while things were still drying.

Then I drilled pocket holes in the top to attach the trim with. With a little glue this makes the trim fit perfectly.

Old 02/26/2005, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

And heres the finished top. Boy is this thing heavy!

Moving on, I cut and test fit the rails and styles for the door for the stand. This was a pain in the butt, and the sun had passed over the workshop, so it was kinda cold in the shade.

And here it is with the panel installed. Still dry fit testing.

Finial heres the door in clamps for glue up. As Norm would say, "The panel just floats".

Old 02/26/2005, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Now, the front and back panels were dry, so I went ahead and drilled the pocket screws to attach the top with later.

The next 3 pictures show the front and sides being all screwed together.

Old 02/26/2005, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Here it is with the bottom installed and the 10 gallon sump in it to check that it fitted. Theres plenty of room in there. Going to work out nice.

It was getting cold and dark so everything was moved back into the shop for the attachment of the top, adding the corner trim to hide the plywood edges, and the final sanding. Heres two pictures of the completed stand.

and

Tomorrow we will be staining it with a natural danish oil stain to bring out the grain, then a coat of poly or two to protect it from the harsh salt water. When thats done we will mount the hardware for the door.

Probably next weekend after the new PC bulbs come in I will whip up a nice little hood for the lighting.
Old 02/26/2005, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Awesome Job!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 02/26/2005, 11:23 PM
River Rat

You seem to be working at the wrong job!!! Your skills are ---- no words can say it!
Old 02/26/2005, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Very nice!
Old 02/27/2005, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

makes me wanna set up my hex.

Looks great... like the design.
You have inspired me.
I have had a 60 hex in the basement (with dirilled overflows, to boot) for like 2 years... waiting to be set up.

Will you post more picks when it is up and running?
Todd G.
Old 02/27/2005, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

I sure will todd. Hopefully we will have some finished staining pics in the next day or two, and hood building pics next weekend. Should be able to have it completly setup and running with horsies by the 12th.
Old 02/27/2005, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Man Steven,

You have all the equipment a brother would need to build himself a fine stand. I wish I had all that equipment when I was building my stand. Haha.

The table saw, biscuit joiner, and router are money for undertaking any type of woodworking project.

Good job!

Peace,
John H.
Old 02/27/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Great Job. Looks way better than my shabby work.
Greg G.
Old 03/12/2005, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Well, here it is all stained and finished up. Sorry there were no more step by step pics, but nobody wants to watch me put on poly so here goes:

First from the front:

And from the side:

I think she choose the perfect door handle:

Shot of the sump setup:

And finaly the aquascaping. Cant take credit for this either:
Old 03/12/2005, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Sweet! I really love the step by step! Clean and professional for sure. The system should be great once the sea horses arrive.
Old 03/12/2005, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

solid work Steven, it really looks more like a piece of furniture than a tank stand.

When will you guys be ready for the SH's?
Old 03/12/2005, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Should be going by atlantis to get them tomorrow. The whole thing is supposed to be an anniversery present for the wife, and guess what? Tomorrow's our anniversery! Somehow I actually manged to make the deadline!
Old 03/12/2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

sh set up

love the set up. Man you guys did a lot of work since last weekend.
Old 03/12/2005, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Wonderful step by step. Great use of tools and techniques. Great looking piece of furnature.

BTW, what pocket hole jig did you use? I have been looking for one.
Old 03/13/2005, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

The blue kreg one that just clamps to the surface. Worth every penny.

We sure did keith. I have been working hard on it since you were here, and im glad to have it done. I think everyone reaches a point when setting up a new tank that if it isnt finished soon, the whole thing is going out the window.
Old 03/13/2005, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Looks Great!!! Gotta love the seahorse handle.
Old 03/13/2005, 08:02 PM
River Rat

Man, you worked so hard you wore the heels off your tennis shoes!!! LOL! VERY Nice work!!
Old 03/13/2005, 08:04 PM
my reef

yea it looks great, keep us posted
brown plate
pink with white tip table
pink monti branch
Old 04/04/2005, 12:18 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

Quote:
The blue kreg one that just clamps to the surface. Worth every penny.

Can you get one of these at Lowe's or HD? I'm building a stand now for my 150 and that looks like a great tool to have.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04/04/2005, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

last time I was at lowes you could. It as a whole kit with screws and everything. I think I saw them over near the router bits. Never seen it at Home depot though.