Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 06/06/2004, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Question Coralife Electronic Ozonizer - Anyone Use?

Anyone have any experience with the Coralife Electronic Ozonizers? They're a lot cheaper than the higher-end models, but not sure if it works very well.

Here's an Ebay posting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 06/06/2004, 12:29 PM
Moved On

thats not cheap by any means IMO. search eBay for ozone and check into one intended for use on a spa/hot tub and you'll find them much cheaper and of a larger size if needed. the Enleys have a built in pump so you dont have to add an air pump too.

hth
kc
Old 06/06/2004, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

That's a good tip. I found it on Ebay for $39.99 here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...305535567&rd=1

Have you used this model before? Any comments on it? I'll send some questions to the seller.
Old 06/07/2004, 09:13 AM
Protector of Diver Dan

[moved]

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06/07/2004, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

300mg/hr would probably fry many tanks. Even with a controller, you would have to be careful.
Old 06/07/2004, 07:16 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefAddict1
That's a good tip. I found it on Ebay for $39.99 here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...305535567&rd=1

Have you used this model before? Any comments on it? I'll send some questions to the seller.
that is the model i've got in use on my 180 right now, works great. the seller is less then desirable about emails/replies/knowledge, but the product was as expected and works perfectly. keep in mind that it does NOT have a drier on it so the actual output will only be around 150 mg/hr tops. i'd still recommend a controller with it or any O3 unit.

Dwayne

just curious why you think this is more related to reef discussion then filtration? O3 is IMO a filtration question and the 'lighting filtration' forum was appropriate. just curious.

kc
Old 06/07/2004, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

dragon_slayer

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try bidding on one of them this week. I do have an AquaController II on my 55G + 20G sump and plan to hook up on my LifeReef skimmer between the collection cup and venturi inlet.

Do you use a similar configuration along with an additional air pump? I was hoping the suction from my venturi would be enough pull through the ozonizer. I'm additionally concerned about having to add an in-line air dryer because the LifeReef's non-clogging venturi relies on moisture from the collection cup.

Lastly, do people add a small bag of carbon near the output of their ozonized skimmers or do you force the output through a closed carbon canister?

Thanks again for the info. I'll post pics when I have it set up.
Old 06/07/2004, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Dragon,
How long have you had your unit? I'm thinking of using one via my skimmer venturi inlet (Euroreef style Sedra 9000's) on my ~500 gallon prop system. I estimated that this unit would produce 150mg-200mg/hr w/o an air dryer. Whatcha think?
Old 06/07/2004, 11:22 PM
Protector of Diver Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_slayer
Dwayne

just curious why you think this is more related to reef discussion then filtration? O3 is IMO a filtration question and the 'lighting filtration' forum was appropriate. just curious.

kc
hmmmm

Would you buy today is Monday?

Or maybe, I was having a senior moment?

Gimme a few minutes, I'll come up with a good reason.

Good call, it would have been better to move it there.

Dwayne

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06/08/2004, 07:00 PM
Moved On

ReefAddict1

the enaly O3 unit i got off ebay has a built in air pump and provides more then enough air to push it to the skimmer (a ER 12-2 by the way). without a built in air pump i would recommend adding one because you dont want to 'starve' the skimmer and make it suck the air through the O3 unit.

robwsup

i've had it installed on my 180 (250g total system volume) for about 7 months now i guess it's been with no problems at all, the tank has settled in at around 450mv and the O3 only kicks in once in a while now and the water stays crystal clear and the ER still does a great job of skimming. i think it the same unit will work for your system as well with no problems.

Dwayne

Yeah, i've had mondays on days other then monday so i can compleatly understand

kc
Old 06/08/2004, 07:04 PM
Moved On

almost forgot about the carbon question...........

it's a good idea to always run carbon in your system when you use O3.

O3 will convert Bromate in the tank to hypo-bromate which is a bleach the carbon removes this.

O3 + Br- -------> O2 + OBr- (BrO3-)

it also converts any iodine in your system to bleach as well, but the amount of iodine in your tank water is a very small percentage so it's not worth mentioning really.

i and allot of others do not but we do a good many large volume water changes. if it was more convienent for me to run carbon on my system I'd do it, it's just a PITA with my setup is the only reason i dont.

hth
kc
Old 06/08/2004, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

dragon_slayer

That's excellent info. Thanks! I'm sold on this method, but I probably won't be able to use in-line with my LifeReef skimmer since the air venturi intake is dependent on moisture to operate correctly (and the right volume of air).

I was thinking I could hook up to my AquaController II, and connect to air stones (with the similar ozone + pump model you have) and drop into the first chamber in my sump which is where the water drains in from the main tank. There is a filter shelf between that chamber and the next chamber which is a refugium. I'd like to place a long bag of carbon in this shelf which comes into contact with most (but not all) of the water flowing into the refugium and the rest of the sump.

I'm wondering if a bag of carbon laying in this kind of setup is enough to diffuse and neutralize enough ozonized water before it drains into the next chamber... or do I need to make sure ALL the water after the ozonizer is filtered through the carbon (i.e. a canister filter or cylinder)?

I suppose I can put another carbon bag in the final chamber where the water return is located, but it still won't contact 100% of the ozonized water.

Thanks again.
Old 06/08/2004, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

RA,
You could "T" it in to your venturi line. That way, the venturi would pull through both the O3 gen, and from your collection cup, or whereever your Lifereef sucks air. This is a fairly common method to introduce O3 to a skimmer.
Old 06/08/2004, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

robwsup

Dang! Why didn't I think of THAT! I'll do it :-)

But regarding the carbon... if I lay a bag in the return chamber of the sump, will that be enough to absorb excess ozone or do I need to filter 100% from the skimmer output?
Old 06/08/2004, 11:03 PM
Moved back in!

dragon_slayer,

Is there any way to hook-up an air dryer to the Enaly? Also, do you have the Enaly hooked up to just one sedra on your ER 12-2, or both?

Thanks for bringing this ozonizer to our attention, even if you don't get the full 300mg of ozone, the price is too good to pass up!

Luis
Old 06/09/2004, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

would the Enaly work for a 75gal tank? And would I have to have a controller? If so, is there any not so expensive ones out there? Or should I just look for a lower rate ozonizer?

cordell
Old 06/09/2004, 07:34 PM
Moved On

gonna try to hit it all but if i miss out on anything, please ask again and i'll try to help out all i can..........

yes you can use the O3 via an air stone inside the skimmer and it will work equaly as well, this is how i use it on my Aqua-C Urchin, i drop an airstone down through the tower into the bottom chamber and pump it in that way sense the skimmer doesnt use a venturi design.

on my ER i have the O3 going into a T and then the T goes to another T in each of the sedras vent lines, this way there is no restriction on the skimmer when the O3 is off and when its on it pumps the O3 to the Ts and its sucked into the skimmer, works perfectly.

O3 is very reactive, it is 99% 'gone' inside the skimmer and very little escapes from it and then it's quickly disapated in the area around the skimmer befor it makes it anywhere close to a return pump in a sump setup. the carbon is for the removal of the bleach that is formed by using the O3 and IMO it's not at a fast enough rate to demand 100% contact with carbon of all exiting water. when used with a little (and it doesnt take much) commen sense it's very safe and easy to use and not over do it.

the only way i know you could put an air dryer on the enaly would be to enclose it and have all incoming air into the enclosure via an air dryer.

as for using the unit on a 75, yes you can use it on the tank, but not without a controller and IMO you shouldnt use any size without a controller, even the small units. keep in mind that pumping a huge amount of O3 into a small volume of water will make a controller on/off like a machine gun until the system comes into an equal state with the ORP.

hth
kc
Old 06/22/2004, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone tried the Enaly with an AquaC EV-180?

I have a 180 gallon tank+30 gallon sump and the enaly seems perfect. I got the JG connector on the AquaC for this purpose.

Thanks
Old 06/22/2004, 04:55 PM
Moved On

is there any other like this but not such a high volume maybe a 50 or a 100 or even 200 i only have 50-60 gallon tank
Old 06/22/2004, 05:51 PM
Moved back in!

Because you can't use an air drier, it's running at a lower output anyway.
Old 06/22/2004, 06:27 PM
King Valida

I use that same enaly unit on my 55gal w/20sump-- I run it with a controller and it works great!
I live in FL and I have quite a bit of humidity even in the A/C so I'm sure the output isn't nearly 300--
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 06/27/2004, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Got the Enaly ozonizer off of eBay (thanks for the tip dragon_slayer!!!). It's a great little unit but I've been noticing a few odd things being new to ozone and was wondering what others experience:

I have it connected to an X-10 device controlled by my AquaController II, and it seems to raise havoc with the X-10, turning off shortly after turning on. I suspect the interference is caused by the internal ballast or something. I have a noise filter coming in that should solve this, but was wondering what others AC II users are experiencing.

Lastly, in the week that I have had this connected, I've noticed the skimmer bubbles reduce dramatically when the ozonizer is on (plugged in without an X-10 controller). Is this normal for ozonizers to reduce bubbles?

Other than that, it's a great little unit and I do notice a steady rise in ORP when it's on over the course of a few hours. I just hope I can resolve the X-10 issues with my AC II.
Old 06/28/2004, 08:29 AM
King Valida

I've heard others comlain that it messed with their ACII unit as well... the arching in the unit causing the ozone interferes with the x10... The filter should work (let me know if it doesn't)!

I also noticed a drop in foam production from my skimmer when it's on, however the foam that does come out is much thicker and smells like @#$#$%! (I've heard people say it's running more efficently FWIW...

I've been using the same unit for a while with no complaints.
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 06/28/2004, 07:14 PM
Moved On

the reason for the reduction of bubbles is the O3 is oxidizing the DOC in your tank and their are fewer for the skimmer. you'll notice that your skimmet will be much thicker and smell worse as FishhyRen said.

kc
Old 06/28/2004, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

FishhyRen and dragon_slayer

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know it's doing what it's supposed to. I got the Direct Controller power strip for the ACII, so will connect the ozonizer to that and see if it isolates the interference.

Lastly, what settings do all of you use for ozone. I've read different ideal levels from 375 up to 450 before turning the ozonizer off. I've set mine to turn on at 350 and off at 400. Sound okay?