Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/08/2007, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

New Blue Clown Goby

Picked up a new fish yesterday. Blue Clown Goby....Here's the 1st pic...........I'll try to get some better shots later on...

Old 02/08/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

awesome, I have a few green ones in my 175, I dont see them often but thats what I like about them, they are fun to spot hiding in the coral.
Old 02/08/2007, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Yea, i know what you mean. I've got two in my 54 corner. This blue one and a bright red one. The red one always stays hidden, but the blue one is always out.
Old 02/09/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

I have a green one but have never even heard f a blue one. Where'd you get it? and how blue is it really? It's hard to tell from that pic.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 02/09/2007, 09:10 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Looks like a standard green clown goby but the actinics are making it look blue.
Old 02/09/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

i believe that is the green one because the designs are similar. Ive never seen a green clown goby online or in the retail stores.

does that thing stick on the glass of your tank or hang out around your sps because i find that to be really cool!
Old 02/09/2007, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
Looks like a standard green clown goby but the actinics are making it look blue.

Don't have actinics on my tank. Just a 250 MHL 14K, but nice try
Old 02/09/2007, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j0hn0000
i believe that is the green one because the designs are similar. Ive never seen a green clown goby online or in the retail stores.

does that thing stick on the glass of your tank or hang out around your sps because i find that to be really cool!
He does sick to the glass and pretty much everything else in the tank. i had a yellow one that only stayed on my SPS Cap, but this guy doesn't bother it.....
Old 02/09/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but that guy has the exact same markings as my green clown goby, which is kind of a greenish-blue. But I don't know how many types of clown gobies there are, so maybe it is a blue.
Old 02/09/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

That is a standard green Goby to me also. I personally hate the fish very much. He picks at my acro polyps constantly. He about killed a pink mille. and many others $8.oo fish hundred's of dollar headache.
Old 02/09/2007, 07:16 PM
Go Gators!

i have never seen or heard of a blue clown goby, he has the markings of a green one. I am rpetty sure he is a green clown goby.
Old 02/09/2007, 07:29 PM
WTMRAC Pres 07~08

Quote:
Originally posted by Lpabsolute
Yea, i know what you mean. I've got two in my 54 corner. This blue one and a bright red one. The red one always stays hidden, but the blue one is always out.
You have a red and a blue clown goby??? You must be very lucky to have found not 1 but 2 fish SO rare. I would like to see pics.

Click the Red House to see my tank pictures.
Old 02/10/2007, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

I have never heard of a Blue clown goby before either. Always knew they came in black, yellow, green, and a cinnamon color. I've seen hundreds of the green ones before. I liked this guy because he was super blue looking. I'm not saying he's a True Blue Clown Goby. He may be a Green one, but his colors look more blue than green. I've only had him for a couple of days now. I guess i'll have to wait and see if he keeps his Blue color or fades to become more green. I'm sure that if he does stay Blue that he is rare. I'm out of town this weekend but will get better shots of him on the sandbed when i return home Sunday.

"sperry" -- it's my knowledge that the red clown gobies are not Rare, as my LFS keeps them in stock weekly. Like all fish, some are more colorful, brighter than others. The common name at my LFS are cinnamon, but are refered to as Red Clown Gobies....
Old 02/10/2007, 06:33 AM
Moved On

It's actually known as the Rippled Coral Goby (Gobiodon rivulatus) and isn't all that hard to come by, expecially if you know the importers. I have one in my tank also, they are fun little guys.
Old 02/10/2007, 02:04 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakealien
It's actually known as the Rippled Coral Goby (Gobiodon rivulatus) and isn't all that hard to come by, expecially if you know the importers. I have one in my tank also, they are fun little guys.
I'm not sure if that's simply a bluer variant of G. histrio or a pattern variant of G. rivulatus.
The stripes, at least on that picture, are wider than I've seen on G. rivulatus; they usually have narrower vertical blue bands on the head.

Dave
Old 02/10/2007, 08:02 PM
I can speak whale!

Can we see a pic of the red clown goby?

im interested in seeing as ive never seen one before.
Old 02/11/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

bump, i really want to see this
Old 02/11/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

cinnamon clown, is the red one like this?
Old 02/11/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
they usually have narrower vertical blue bands on the head.

Dave
Ditto!
side by side
and a better blue pic
Blue
Most people don't know that these guys/gals can switch back and forth between sexes either... Now you do!
Nice find!!
Old 02/12/2007, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

I just took some quick shots of my little guy. Here they are....

Old 02/12/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

very nice, i like him alot. kinda turqoisish. very neat.
Old 02/12/2007, 09:24 PM
Moved On

thats is a cool blue goby i want to get one like that....are the rippled coral gobys rare and hard to find jw??
Old 02/13/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

my wifes will host the frogspawn i like it cause her clowns wont host their bta