Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Centropyge argi with clams??

Hi all, I´m Martin from BA, and I would like to know if some had this dwarf angel with Tridacna. I have a nano tank (30g) with live rock and 2 Tridacna maxima (4")

I have an Acanthurus bahianus (3") but I have to change it for another little fish, specially an algae eater (I don´t want a lawnmower).

any experience with this fish???

thanks a lot

Martin
Old 10/15/2007, 11:44 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Mine ate acros and gorgs. Didn't bother clams. I fellow local reefer had one that also loved to eat gorgs.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/15/2007, 01:57 PM
clams are your friends.

I have an argi in a tank with 4 clams and it never touches them or anything else. Regardless, it's a gamble with those guys. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.
Old 10/16/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys, now I could try with this fish but I will wait other experiences.
It could be worse in my nano than a large tank.

bye

Martin
Old 10/16/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

The smaller the tank, the more at risk your corals & clams are. Not that its ever 100% certain to stop bad Centropyge behavior, there are things that can be done to lesson the risk. Larger tank is number 1. Some hair algae present for natural grazing ( I'm starting to have an outbreak, guess I'm going to have to up water change schedule!), feed more than once a day, the more stuff in the tank the better. Also, add the angel last or late in the tank stocking.
My C. argi is fine with corals, etc. However, other fish..

Matthew
Old 10/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

thanks Sheol.

I have something positive and negative.

Positive: my nano is under sunlight and there are a lot of micro algae in the walls that my bahianus works about (I would change my tang for the argi, so this dwarf will have a lot of food beside the ocean nutrition food))

Negative: very very little tank

bye bye
Old 10/16/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

One other thing. My C. argi is very, very active. I had Coral beauties before & they don't come close to the energy levels of this little Cherub! I'm sorry, but I'd be hesitant in your situation..

Matthew