Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/04/2006, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

larger then sequence

just wondering where to look when a pump larger then a hammerhead is needed? i know they make some large pond pumps but they're intended for freshwater use. thanks in advance.
Old 04/04/2006, 08:19 AM
On hobby time out!

I believe you can use just about any sequence pump, regardless of model, for saltwater so long as you use a saltwater seal. I believe they are universal to their pumps, but I would call them to make sure.

www.mdminc.com
Old 04/04/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the response but i dont think i explained myself very clearly. if i were in need of a saltwater pump BIGGER then a sequence, were would i look and were could i find it?
Old 04/04/2006, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

What kind of gph are you looking for? How much head preasure will you have?

Look up aquaticeco.com and find the high volume pumps by Speck. Up to a 6hp single or 3 phase with saltwater seal and 1 hr run dry.

If that is not enough you must be building an ocean. LOL
Old 04/04/2006, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Left one off.... check out Sweetwater as well. Also found at aquaticeco.com. Plenty of flow for your coolwhip bowl.
Old 04/04/2006, 10:47 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by xdusty6920
thanks for the response but i dont think i explained myself very clearly. if i were in need of a saltwater pump BIGGER then a sequence, were would i look and were could i find it?
I don't think I explained myself well either. Sequence makes pumps that put out well over 10K GPH! It depends on what sequence model you are looking at and what is your GPH requirement. The most popular models now common in the aquarium are not even a minute fraction of the pumps they manufacture. Give them a call, tell them what you are looking for in terms of GPH, and see what model may fit you best.

By the way, it would make it much easier if you said what kind of gph requirement you have so others can maybe point you in the right direction.
Old 04/06/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

im really undecided on exact flow. im thinking soomewhere in the 10k gph area. im having a custom tank built in the near future and im just trying to plan ahead. the pump in question will be a closed loop. tank measurements are 108"x72"x60". i know i know, huge. but ive been saving for a long time and really want it.......but i dont think a simple hammerhead will be sufficient for flow. ill have a half dozen or so tunze to hit areas that the closed loop simply wont reach but i want the closed loop to be almost all of my flow. it will be set up penninsula style. i think ill use 3 returns with one main pump intake. i plan to have the three holes as following directly in the center of the tank:
one at 1' off the bottum, another at 2.5', and the last at 4'
now lets hear all the suggestions, id appreciate them
Old 04/06/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

anyone?
Old 04/06/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Xdusty,

I was thinking of doing the cool whip bowl powered by the night light. Can you help me with the plumbing? I've always enjoyed the overstated!!!

SaltyNovice
Old 04/07/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

airline tubing and jg fittings is the key lol!
anyone got any suggestions for what pump to use with my custom tank im having built?
Old 04/07/2006, 07:42 AM
Watt Miser Extraordinaire

You might want to check into something like this...

Old 04/07/2006, 09:28 AM
Fish Addict

You know just for redundancy sake and simplicity instead of one big pump you might want to look into multiple smaller pumps. Otherwise look into the very large sequence and some of the pumps at aquaticeco. They have some monsters. Oh yeah also you may want to look at scewdrive units--I forget the exact term. Very large but relatively effecient which will be an issue for you.
Old 04/07/2006, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

xdusty6920--I have no input on the pump other what had already been stated. I just wanted to express how jealous I am :-) I hope you will share the build on the large tank forum!
Old 04/07/2006, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

I've got a Sequence 1hp pump that pumps 6000 gph in my hatchery and love it. They make bigger pumps than that, but this was all I needed.

Also, when you start going to pumps this size you are probably going to have to go with a 220 volt pump.

Bald Guys never have a bad hair day.
Old 04/07/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I think I'm done with this thread. Post some pics of your new tank when you get it. Pumps are only a very small part of the obsticles to overcome with a 2000 plus gal display tank. Weight, support, lighting, filtration, sump, humidity, scuba gear for cleaning....I hope you have plenty of room and deep pockets. If that is the case, good luck and I hope you post the project because I could learn a great deel from it.
Old 04/07/2006, 04:37 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptiveMarine
I've got a Sequence 1hp pump that pumps 6000 gph in my hatchery and love it. They make bigger pumps than that, but this was all I needed.

Also, when you start going to pumps this size you are probably going to have to go with a 220 volt pump.
I never understood things like this, maybe I'm missing something, but couldnt you plumb 2 darts in parallel, get 7200 gph, and use about 40% of the electricity? If theres a head hight issue, thats different, but I see people using 350 watt hammerheads on closed loops where 2 darts would be a better solution.
Old 04/07/2006, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I never understood things like this, maybe I'm missing something, but couldnt you plumb 2 darts in parallel, get 7200 gph, and use about 40% of the electricity? If theres a head hight issue, thats different, but I see people using 350 watt hammerheads on closed loops where 2 darts would be a better solution.
One of the things I was looking at on my setup was the head pressure of pumping water to 27 different tanks. The two Darts might have worked but I wasn't really willing to take that chance.

Bald Guys never have a bad hair day.
Old 04/07/2006, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

i had considered going with two or three smaller darts or the like but my main goal is to cover 80-90% of the flow through this closed loop and figured a dart wouldnt have the umph to supply flow from one side of the tank all the way to the opposite end of the tank, and from top to bottum in a 5ft tall tank.
yes i will start a tank build thread when the time comes. and yes i know there are alot of things to consider when putting together a system of this magnitude but the only one that really putting me in a spot that i must know (i have to tell him what holes, where and how big to drill in the tank) before i can actually start having the tank built.
Old 04/07/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Who is building it?
Old 04/07/2006, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

im planning AO and have contacted will. any opinions about the pumps and flow situation im trying to iron out? anyone?lol
Old 04/07/2006, 09:04 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by xdusty6920
i had considered going with two or three smaller darts or the like but my main goal is to cover 80-90% of the flow through this closed loop and figured a dart wouldnt have the umph to supply flow from one side of the tank all the way to the opposite end of the tank, and from top to bottum in a 5ft tall tank.
yes i will start a tank build thread when the time comes. and yes i know there are alot of things to consider when putting together a system of this magnitude but the only one that really putting me in a spot that i must know (i have to tell him what holes, where and how big to drill in the tank) before i can actually start having the tank built.
A 3" pipe with 6000gph coming out of it is a 3" pipe with 6000 gph coming out of it. The pump doesnt matter.
Old 04/07/2006, 09:05 PM
Moved On

Look at Fibroc. We're talking high flow. They're energy efficient and you can mix and match motors, volutes, and impellars for your specific application.

d.
Old 04/07/2006, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

if you read back youll see that i want 3 outputs ne at the top, one mid range, and one at the bottum. i know a dart on one output will get the job done, but what if i use a single dart for the other two outputs? will they have what it takes or will i need to get three darts (one for each output)?
its either that or i just go grab one huge pump that can push all three outputs like im wanting. thats really the question at hand. what will and will not be sufficient. so let me just pose this question to everyone.
if you had a tank 5ft high and 9 ft long with 3 returns from your closed loop, what pump/pumps would you use to get flow throughout 80% of the tank? also what size plumbing would you use for your application?
Old 04/07/2006, 09:38 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Depends upon how deep your pockets are.
Electric prices keep going up
Myself I am going with low power pumps & Tunze
I think (3) pumps would be better then one big pump
You could service one pump at a time without cutting back the flow a great deal
If a pump dies, you still have 2 pumps going & can get a replacement fairly easily
Old 04/07/2006, 09:40 PM
Flowalicious

Personally, I'd put a dart on each output. That'll cost you like $60 a month in electricity. If you try to do it with one pump,. you're looking $100+, and you're not gonna get the flow.

What I was talking about before, was to put multiple darts on the SAME closed loop. Big input, splits for 3 pumps in parallel, and then goes back into one pipe.

If you want 3 outputs though, you're better off just having three loops. That also makes for easier maintenance, easier to replace a pump, etc. It seems like above the dart, the pumps start getting less and less efficient. Unless you've got a huge pressure application (which you dont), I dont think theyre needed.