Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2005, 08:17 PM
Lookin for Red Yuma PM me

Beware --->Jeffsdesigns

This guy snagged my friend from 300.00 and never sent the item, check the thread here--->http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...33#post4396233
Old 03/15/2005, 05:47 PM

update I'm still in the lookout for this guy so if anyone has any info, please PM so we can contact the law...
Old 03/16/2005, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

This nit wit has sold so much stuff on this board.. Every sell post has one or more angry customers.

Here is from one of his posts

I'm originally from Terre Haute. Born and raised there.
I live close to Louisville now. But I go up there ever now and then.
I graduated from TH North in 85

Maybe trace him back to his HS? LOL
Old 03/16/2005, 04:30 PM

Hummm maybe but there must of been a dozen Jeffs in his school, its a lead neva the less, thanks
Old 03/17/2005, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

There are actually a bunch of us that were burned by Jeff. I sent him money via USPS as did another person. Neither heard from him for more than a month, and the other person finally got in touch with me to find out if I'd heard anything from him.

I finally got in touch with Jeff via his cell phone and he told me some bogus story about how he'd sent it via UPS. After about a week of hounding him (after the original month), I finally got a UPS number to confirm the number. It was a return number for Amazon. So I asked how he got the number (with UPS in conference mode) and he said he got it sent it via the UPS store.

I called the UPS store and they'd never heard of him. No such number in their records. Then he dropped off the face of the earth for another week and I finally found his information. I called and called and called. Finally, I got so fed up, I called the local police. He said that his cousin works for the Indiana Attorney General's office and to stop harassing him. So, I called the AG's office (being an attorney with numerous enforcement agency friends helps). Then I called the DA's office.

I also contacted the USPS and found that he had commited a fraud by using the USPS. I threatened to take action with all these agencies. After a few rounds of additional bogus stories (no paypal account, etc.,) he finally sent me a check.... which bounced. Okay, I had it. So, I prepared the small claims papers for his city (I was willing to follow through for principles sake), had the paper for the USPS filled, the AG, the DA and the local police claims prepared. And low and behold, he sent me money back (minus my costs).

Now as far as other problems, I've listed them here.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=363773

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=381386

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=448776

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=441371

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=443280

There are others who did not post but contacted me about their problems. That's how I found out about this thread as well as ther other in the buy board. I and this other person (in our wave of buys) were not the first, nor does it look like the last.

Although, I do have to admit that I did make a good acquantance out of the other person who I commiserated with.
Old 03/17/2005, 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear about that, I'm just as sorry for getting cought in his trick bag If anyone has a point of contact for Jeff's local law enforcement authority, I would appreciate a name/number so I can get the law on his a$$. I'm sure he has a record or even better on parol or something
Old 03/17/2005, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Navy, RC has his IP address from all of his post. With that it can be traced to the computer he used. The internet isn't really anonymous. Of course, his ISP will not give you his data but they will give it to the law. Maybe you guys can contact his state's attny general office. I bet this isn't the only place he is scamming.

Funny that people are banned from RC for other things and this guy is still running around.
Old 03/18/2005, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Navy,
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Is another good place to file quickly.
Old 03/19/2005, 07:05 PM

Thanks
Old 03/20/2005, 11:00 AM
Reef Pimp

It's pretty funny in this day and age, with the amount of personal data that cached on us and there are still jerks trying to get away with it...
Old 03/20/2005, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Ah, sadly, in this day and age, guys like this are small fish, most people give up easily, and law enforcement has better things to do with their time than small fry like this joker. See, presumption of innocence, business deal gone bad, a lot of factors. Business deals that go bad are not in the criminal arena to begin with. Once things have been proven or are TERRIBLY out of hand, then it can begin to be looked at as criminal vs civil.

I Agree with Stix, it should be a no brainer, it took me a while to figure out the above.
Old 03/20/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Definitely a good idea to do a search on someone's RC name when considering a purchase or trade. This guy has been around a long time.
Old 03/20/2005, 01:56 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by MORAY
Definitely a good idea to do a search on someone's RC name when considering a purchase or trade.
Much more of a general comment is that the big mistake people often make is searching for a user name using the user name field in this forum. You should plug a persons name into the keyword field and search here because often times the person being searched for did not make any posts, just has comments made about them.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 03/20/2005, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Jeffsdesigns

I called and spoke with Jeff today. He stated that he shipped the items, but his hesitance gave me the impression that he was lying to me. He refused to provide any evidence that he had shipped (FYI, you have to fill out a customs form to ship to Guam and there is a copy provided to the shipper).

I asked him to refund my money and even told him that if the bulb did happen to appear I would send it back to him on my dime. He flatly refused to refund me and told me I didn't have a case because I would have to prove that he didn't ship it.

SO, I'm out of patience and tired of getting jerked around. I filed a complaint at www.ifccfbi.org and am going to call his local police department as well to see if they have a fraud department.

Navymedic:
Strongly urge your friend to file a complaint. I am emailing you a copy of the write up I provided. If we pile evidence against him it may help spurn legal action.

I am also researching a civil action and would recommend you do the same.

To the RC Mods:
I understand and appreciate that you haven't banned Jeffsdesigns up to this point to allow NM and myself an opportunity to reconcile the situation and reclaim our money. He has obviously displayed a lack of concern for our welfare. I STRONGLY suggest that I you upgrade him to "moved on" status in order to protect the other thousands of registered users on this site. I find it aggravating that all of this could have been avoided if he would have been banned one of the other 4 times he screwed people around. If you're willing to ban people for speaking their minds, then you should be prepared to ban people for ripping others off. My 2 cents.

Regards,
Scott Atkinson
Old 03/20/2005, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Actually,
Instead of emailing to you I'll just post it here. That way everybody can see how the events transpired.

Believe me, I was more than patient with this guy.

Regards,
Scott
Old 03/20/2005, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Crud, okay I think I got it this time........
Attached Files
File Type: doc ifccf complaint1.doc (25.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 03/20/2005, 11:14 PM

Just copied as much as I could for Joel, including your complaint, I will have him do his own real soon, thanks..
Old 03/23/2005, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Shipmate:

If you want to provide this fellow's info, I will be more than happy to stop by at some point in the future if I'm traveling that way.

OSSN Elliott

Everytime my parents, girlfriend, advisor, or anyone asks how my dissertation proposal is going, I start talking about my newest reef tank....
Old 03/24/2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sde219
Shipmate:

If you want to provide this fellow's info, I will be more than happy to stop by at some point in the future if I'm traveling that way.

OSSN Elliott
Thanks, BTW Scott is also USN
Old 03/30/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about all of your problems with this guy! Seems to me though that it would actually be better not to ban him. If they would ban him he could just join under a different name and you'd never know about his past selling experiences, but if he continues to use the same name people can search in here and see that they shouldn't buy from him. Maybe that's their reasoning.
Old 03/30/2005, 10:08 PM

He can still register under a different name and use a different email addy, but thanks for the post...
Old 04/03/2005, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

NM,
I'm sending Steve the PM with Jeff's contact information. It's been over 6 weeks.
Did your friend file his complaint?

Regards,
Scott
Old 04/03/2005, 04:10 PM

Joel has filed a complaint with Paypal, but they were TOO slow to react and by the time they figured that he was due a refund, Jeff withdrew all the funds. Quite frankly I'm disgusted with paypal, they should do all the leg work on getting this guy....

what I mean is that
1) they should refund the money
2) file a complaint with the wrong persons bank, get a lein, put a notation on there credit report, file with law enforcement, yada..

Once again I'm also disappointed with RC, for not helping out. This should not be happening, and the membership should be protected from guys like this...just my 2 cents