Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 12/02/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Frogspawn and Mushrooms

Will the Frogspawn sting the mushroom enough to kill it?
Old 12/02/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I have both and have never had any problems aand they are fairly close to each other. If you are that worried about it why dont you just move one of them?
Old 12/04/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

I was hoping more people would respond to this post. I was also wondering. In a week or two i'll find out. Mine are now about 1/2" apart. The good news is, there are no sweeper tentacles out, so it may be alright.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I have my frogspawn next to a colony of blue mushrooms with no problems. The mushrooms may sometimes retract but I have not had any die off.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/06/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

does frogspawn have sweeper tentacles liek Galaxea? Are do the "daytime" tentacles ( for lack of a better word) actually contain stinging cells?
Old 12/06/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I have one mushroom right under my hammer coral sometimes i see the tenticals touch it and the mushroom retracts a little, but then opens up again in a couple minutes. i just never bothered moving the mushroom 'cause i have so much of them anyway.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

ggk1988. All the tentacles contain stinging cells and it may develop sweeper tentacles if it is too close to a coral he doesn't like. For example my frogspawn developed sweeper tentacles on his left side. He developed these to fight the zoanthids encroaching on his turf about 2" away from him. On his right side there are no sweeper tentacles and he is about 1/2" away from some mushrooms. They are very close to making contact but the frogspawn is not acting aggressive. I still have to keep an eye on them but so far there getting along.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:55 AM
NaH2O

I think the tentacles of the frogspawn still have nematocysts and such, however on sweeper tentacles the nematocyst count is probably much higher and found in much larger concentrations. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you begin to see either of the corals showing any sign of possible ailment, it couldn't hurt to move them as a precaution.