Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/08/2008, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

aggressive damsel

I have a large domino in a 110 reef. He is too aggressive for the other fish. Any suggestions on how to catch him with out destroying the tank?
Old 01/08/2008, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

barbless fishing hook on a line and patience.

Good Luck!
Old 01/08/2008, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Keep trying with a net slowly, you will get it.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

fish trap ?? u can buy them on the net. but obviously theres a chance of catching other fish..
Old 01/08/2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

A bigger, meaner fish will keep him in check.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Fish trap is the best bet in my opinion. It is the only way that I have consistently been able to catch all types of fish fairly quickly without destroying anything in the tank. The net works for some fish, but others there is no way in hell. Put the trap in the tank with the trap door propped open by tying the string to something outside and below the tank level. Leave the trap and starve the tank for 2-3 days. Then put a small amount of food into the trap only. The fish will have to go in for the food sooner or later. Hunger will motivate them. If the right fish does not enter the first day of feeding, just continue to starve the tank and try it again the next day. When he finally enters, drop the trap door and remove him. Good luck.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

hook line sinker...
Old 01/08/2008, 09:26 PM
NGC 4414 [60million ly]

aggressive damsel - isn't that redundant?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Devil fish!

I had a damsel that would purposely knock over my corals. I couldnt get him until I tore down the tank. If you can keep the other fish away you should be able hook him. Good luck.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
aggressive damsel - isn't that redundant?
lol, that's what I thought! When you catch him I would take him to the LFS and teach him a lesson. He's bound to end up in a crappy little biocube with absurd water parameters. Or maybe one of the employees will feed him to a big grouper or something! Sounds like a fun time! Good luck!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

another way i have found that some times works is about 2-3 hours before you usually feed your fish, position the nets inside the tank so the fish kinda get used to them (be carful to do this in a way so they can not fall all the way in the tank, otherwise when you put your hand in the tank to retrieve the net, youll scare the fish again). Then when they are back to fairly normal behaviour feed them at the normal time to distract them and be ready for some quick draw!! Especially with damsels. You must be quick though, and if it doesnt work the first time it probably wont work ever as the fish will be wise to it now. Hope this helps.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Try spearing it with a beef kabob stick.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Actually, the net thing and feeding works pretty well. Also, I would not give up hope if you don't get him the first couple of times. As ozyreefa concluded, the fish will get wise, but let's be honest, fish are stupid! They might outlast your patients but in a couple of days they will be none-the-wiser again.

In fact, I had a Lemon Peel Angel fish that made quick work out of a plerogyoa sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral). From what I understood it was a kind of hit or miss on a Centropgy's affinity for tasting corals. I was furious, so I decided the fish would have to go back to the LFS.

My first few attempts failed, in fact, I just left the net propped in the tank for probably a week or two, and tried periodically to catch her off guard during feeding. After a while they got so used to the net being there, they would go into the net to eat. Still she thwarted me several times.

Then one day before I had to go to work, (conveniently since I work at the LFS) I saw her sitting just out in front of the net. I approached the tank, and placed my hand on the handle. She hadn't darted yet! I whispered to myself, "You can't seriously be this stupid?" And WHAMMY! I nailed her, stuck her in a zip lock and cianara Lemon Peel!

After warning of my account, I sold her to a guy that's a total R tard. (R for reef) She came back in a week, and I think we ended up making 90 dollars off of her before she stopped coming back!