Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

First Time Keeping a Crocea

I currenty have a 10 gallon nano tank. I have seen clams in tanks as small as mine before and I was wondering how likely it would be to get one into mine. The tank is about 6 months old with a good amount of coralline growth. My nitrate, ammonia, and nitrites are always at 0. The PH is steady at 8.2-8.4 and the temp at 79 degrees. The salinity also stays right at 1.026.
However, in reading about the clams I realized that they are a little more picky and require some more water parameters like calcium and alkalinity.
I was wondering how I would go about getting my tank at the proper levels to house a clam. I have seen the Kent liquid treatment stuff and I didn't know if that would be an option or not.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:34 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

I don't know much about nano tanks, you may post the same question over in the nano forum. I think keeping clams in a 10 would be ok if you really kept up on your water param's. I would recommend crocea or maxima. Keep away from all the others, unless you plan on a much bigger tank soon. Either of these you would be fine with doseing cal and alk, I recommend seachem additives.

Here is a few good links to read up on for keeping clams.

general info
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1237978

lighting
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1072234

general
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...threadid=70806

That should fix it everything right???
Old 12/28/2007, 08:47 PM
w3rd

i think if you had a large sump it would be better. not saying its impossible to do it with just a 10, but your parameters would be stable and dosing would be easier in case you make a mistake

first, buy some test kits to test for magnesium, alk, and calcium. i would say the API test kit is ok since the calcium matches really close with my Elost test kit, the Alk from API is ok too, unless you wanna get something from Lamotte, but the kit doesnt inclue the magnesium test kit because they dont make one

once you get that going, go to the reef chemistry forum on this website and look in the stickies where the articles are and you can make your own alk, calcium and magnesium if youd like. there's also a handy calculator there to figure out how much to dose
Old 12/28/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I am planning on upgrading my tank to a 40 breeder or a 65 within the next several months. I just need to look at what kind of fish can go in each because I really want a powder blue tang and a coral beauty. I'm thinking they would like the 65 better but then I don't know if I am going to need a sump.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:38 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

both the powder blue and coral beauty are clam nippers. I would not combine them with clams.

That should fix it everything right???
Old 12/28/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skinz78
both the powder blue and coral beauty are clam nippers. I would not combine them with clams.
That's good to know. Thank you.