Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2004, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

breeding clowns in 10g

i want toknow some tips on breeding clowns and if they will get iy on in a 10g without an anenome:fun1: and some tips on getting them to breed
Old 08/23/2004, 04:27 PM
Man am I busy

There isint much to getting them to spawn except having the right environment, I think a 10 gallon might be a little to small, also the hard part isint getting them to breed its getting the eggs to survive.
Old 08/24/2004, 10:17 AM
10 & Over Club

A.fool-
this size tank is too small for many clonws. i would recommend against it, You might want to consider a 30 gal as a small size whil the samller clown species will accept a 20. Its not about volume persay, its about water quality and space. You might find it diffcult to keep decent water quality in a 10 unless its linked to about 10 other 10 gal tanks
Old 08/24/2004, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

ADAM

If you are succseful with the breeding i would like to purchase one from you

kyle
Old 08/24/2004, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle_RR
ADAM

If you are succseful with the breeding i would like to purchase one from you

kyle
Kyle, You may want to look elsewhere for a clown. I highly recommend captive bred, but even if his clowns laid eggs today and he had no problems, the fry would not be available for 4-6 months depending on species.
Old 08/25/2004, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

kyle said that cuse hes my neighbor
Old 08/25/2004, 11:51 PM
Moved On

breeding clowns

what do you do when the fish lays their eggs?i have 3 clowns and 2 of them are always together and they bot try to attack the other clown.plus both of the clowns that stay together are muc brighter in color,like their black color is getting more black.while the other clown is not so bright in color,but is still as healty as the other two.does that soun like i got a pai or what?
Old 08/26/2004, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

help with raising babies i want to know what i have to do like month by month please.
Old 08/29/2004, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

acrojay, it's not usually recommended that you have 3 clowns. this is probably the worst number imaginable to keep them in. the two that are together are probably a mated pair, while the 3rd is maybe a juvenile? it sounds like the 3rd is small and young? if you bought 3 small juvenile fish, this is the result. two of them pair up (the larger one is female, the smaller is male), and the third is sexless in more ways that one . the pair attack the other fish and will kill it unless you have a large tank.

a.fool,
you should probably think about what to do for the first few days before you think about a month by month schedule. a 10 gallon isn't going to do it. let's ignore the fact that they have to be very happy to spawn (which is why an anemone is a huge plus). the fry need to be isolated from the parents once they hatch, many die off, survivors require rotifer feedings til they get big enough for brine, etc.. the best way to learn is to learn from experience. it doesn't sound likely with a 10 gallon. the bio-load from two fish alone would make it too difficult to begin with.
Old 08/30/2004, 02:07 AM
the cow flys at dawn

anemone's are a bad idea for a clown breeder.

a flower pot works much much better

you want to be able to saturation feed your clowns 3 or more times a day with a few middle feedings, the anemone will not take that.

you can use a 10g BUT it must be connected to something else large with lotsa filtration, a 55g rubbermade tub as a sump works wonders.

with out a further description of the sizes/ages and where they came from the 3 clown tank seems ready for natural selection to foil your plans, you need to yank that third clown.

as soon as you have your tank setup, start up a rotifer and possibly phyto culture, best to get practice in while you can. once your clowns lay eggs you will need it. leftover phyto/rots can be given away or used in your own reef.
Old 08/30/2004, 10:06 PM
High on Reefing!

I dont mean to sound cold, but if you do a search on here you will find alot of great threads that almost breed the clowns for you. THere are personal diaries and alot of good help. I did it!