Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Look Im making friends already!

I drove down my driveway this morning almost hit the darn thing.

GOTTA assume its a teenager that owns a pickup, a prank.
I havent even met anyone around here yet!

jokes on them, the trash people will take ANYTHING around here! so.... HU! lol

cant seem to get them to be pics, sorry.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 09/19/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

wow... That is really sad...
Old 09/19/2007, 11:03 PM

What kinda idiot names a toilet Rip?

What does it say inside the lid?

A lot of Amish up in this area would be pretty jealous....
Old 09/20/2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

inside the lid says 'bury her here'

no bathtubs or nuthin in the driveway today. Im really hoping it is an isolated incident, I dont like being picked on.

lol it has old dirt inside n stuff i think they found it in the woods or somthing

Old 09/20/2007, 07:50 AM
Team RC Member

That's not Dirt!

(Maggie, select the code for the "Direct Link" from Photobucket)
Old 09/20/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

I would almost report that to the local sheriff. That no matter how idiodic would be a threat to me at least.
Old 09/20/2007, 09:07 AM
m0derated

That is a threat. Report it and start a paper trail. If it continues, you will have the whole thing documented.

BTW - what did I miss? What's this all about?
Old 09/20/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

hollback... I have no problem with photobucket, but my dsl was taking SO long to upload I had someone upload them for me and I couldent get the html code to work right from just the address link.

I thought about reporting it, but I just took the pics and moved it off to the side. called the landlord to see if they had any enemys... nope. (heck, theyre in there 70's cant imagine they would) lol

Old 09/20/2007, 06:12 PM
m0derated

Hehe... maybe paper trail was a bad choice of words in this situation.
Old 09/20/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Old 09/21/2007, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
hollback... I have no problem with photobucket, but my dsl was taking SO long to upload I had someone upload them for me and I couldent get the html code to work right from just the address link.
Dont wait to report. Mine was like that for a long time. I finaly called sbc and they found a setting that was not correct and it had me capped at a real low speed. 5 minutes to correct.

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 09/21/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

the first two days was excellent, and then it got bad. Im thinking about getting another phone line installed and another modem. that way the bf can 'direct connect' to xboxlive and i can have the two puters on another modem instead of going thru a router.

Old 09/21/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

WHOOOHOOOOO! time warner accepted the request for running cable up here! now me and my neighbor can get cable & internet. They ran the above ground optics today and doing the underground wire to my house on monday.

Im pretty excited

Old 09/21/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

now you know that the time warner will possibly be slower correct? at&t runs a direct line to your house and time warner runs a system that you and your neighbors will share the same bandwidth. just a fyi.
Old 09/21/2007, 05:07 PM
T5 Reefer

I share the Time-Warner node with about 200-300 other houses in our area and when I run a test at speedtest.net I get 6.5kbits and it says that is faster than 80% of others on RR in the nation.

I think you are very lucky to have RoadRunner being piped in just for the 2 of you! I have heard it costs about $100 per foot for them to install cable by the time it is all said and done.
Old 09/21/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

$100 per foot x 300 feet = $30000
$120 per month for cable X 12 months = $1440

Cost of install / Annual income = Number of years before profit: 20 years.

Something doesn't sound right, I got the 300 feet from the picture, looks like a LONG driveway. Assuming they have to run it the lenth of the drive?
Old 09/21/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

lol its actually 875 feet and yes they ran it from the road to between the two houses, now they need to run it to my house (another 500 or so feet at least)

a few years ago they told the owner no. *shrugs* I donno. sounds expensive!

Old 09/21/2007, 06:36 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark Keeper
now you know that the time warner will possibly be slower correct? at&t runs a direct line to your house and time warner runs a system that you and your neighbors will share the same bandwidth. just a fyi.
Yes and no. That was true 5 or six years ago when cable was more of a shared medium. Most cable infrastructures (especially in Columbus) have moved to a more switch based infrastructure, with the overall ring being faster than the combined users can typically pull. This is partially controlled by throttling speeds, but RR's standard packages are pretty good in that respect.

As well, most DSL companies way over subscribe their backbone. If everyone has fat dedicated lines back to the CO, but the CO has a small shared pipe the the Internet, it doesn't do any good. Columbus area RR also has a major advantage, as they're one of the major RR/AOL hub sites for this region (i.e. we have a ton of shared bandwidth).

You'd be really surprised (especially cost wise) if you know who's backbone you were truly riding sometimes depending on the provider

Quote:
Originally posted by itZme
I think you are very lucky to have RoadRunner being piped in just for the 2 of you! I have heard it costs about $100 per foot for them to install cable by the time it is all said and done.
I'm not sure where they came up with that stat, but I would have a hard time believing that. Even if you include the entire infrastructure, bandwidth, maintenance, etc cost, that's one heck of a stretch considering the material itself is well under a dollar (even if we're talking armored/shielded fiber straight to your house).
Old 09/25/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

i can't believe they are going to bring it out for 2 of you. Insight refuses to bring high speed internet out to me and there are many of us that would get it. We are stuck with sattelite where i live - not even DSL out here.....arggg.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
RokleM.....Yes and no. That was true 5 or six years ago when cable was more of a shared medium. Most cable infrastructures (especially in Columbus) have moved to a more switch based infrastructure, with the overall ring being faster than the combined users can typically pull. This is partially controlled by throttling speeds, but RR's standard packages are pretty good in that respect.
Even with a switch based infrastructure it is still shared and slows with the number of users. The only things that control the usage via cable providers is the set top device or how the router if configured. The tap is still the same and the path is still the same.

Quote:
RokleM ......As well, most DSL companies way over subscribe their backbone. If everyone has fat dedicated lines back to the CO, but the CO has a small shared pipe the the Internet, it doesn't do any good. Columbus area RR also has a major advantage, as they're one of the major RR/AOL hub sites for this region (i.e. we have a ton of shared bandwidth).
When the DSL/phone companies accept subscribers for their systems it is totally different. What they do is push mini CO's further into the neighborhoods which act as the switch back to the larger central office. It is configured fiber from the central office to the "mini central office" (which is all optical) from there it is converted to copper (electrical) this is then cabled to your house. With that you do essentially have a direct "pipe" for your service.
As you may know a single fiber optic which connects the "mini CO" back to the larger one can handle a great number of lines/services. The fiber is only limited by the facilities that are placed on either end of the fibers. The only way that you loose your signal via this method is the distance that you are away from the "mini CO". But even with that the majority of the areas can get any level of service from the DSL provider.
Old 09/25/2007, 06:51 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Agreed and not at the same time. A lot of what you mentioned is applicable to both cable and DSL companies. What we can agree on is we're all getting stuck by the communications industry But I won't go any further in order to not "pollute" tourkid's toilet thread

Last edited by RokleM; 09/25/2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09/25/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

lmao we can squash the toilet, the trash men took it lol time warner was messing with the above line agian today but they havent dug a hole yet. I dident go out and talk to them today, dident want to walk to the end of the driveway

just learned my neighbor has fresh mlk! he has this refridgerated tanker truck at his house every 2 days... mmm milk. I need to make friends with that guy!!

Old 09/26/2007, 07:34 AM
><(//////////////////))o>

Two Main differences between DSL and Cable: DSL runs over two tiny copper wires with very little insulation/shielding that were originally intended to carry just analog voice, and never intended to carry high speed data, or data at all for that matter. It's more of a retrofit or hack for that matter.

Cable runs over a thick, heavily insulated coaxial cable intended to carry hundreds of channels of video with audio. By nature it is much better suited for data than DSL. Running internet on it may still be a hack/retrofit, but it's a much better, more stable hack/retrofit.

Now what I would really like to see for home internet is fiber all the way to the house. Verizon has this (called Fios), and its available in many locations now, especially in the northeast, but unfortunately not in Columbus .
Old 09/26/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

thebrian...your post is incorrect.

I work for the phone company and have designed cable tv in the past so I am very well versed in what I am saying. at&t is currently upgrading their network in a similar direction as Verizon. Here locally we are placing fiber directly into the home in limited locations.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:59 AM
We'll get 'em next year!

Never start an argument in a room full of experts