Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 07:06 AM
So easy a CaveMan

Sad Day @ The Cave

Got some clean up crew stuff Sunday, two of the items were Black Sea Cucumbers. One of them managed to find a small hole through the rock work that covers the Closed Loop suction on one end of the tank. It sucked about half of him through the strainer basket and spewed it out every where. Came down Monday Morning to find all the fish suffering and looking bad. Dumped a butt load of water out of the tank immediately, while changing the water how ever I also was pulling the fish out as they died one by one. Ended up losing pretty much all of them. 18 fish total and 3 cleaner shrimps. IT SUCKS.

We still have our 2 clowns, Pink Spotted Watchman Goby, and a Coris Wrasse. All the urchins, lobster, sand sifting stars, and serpent stars made it as well. Corals and clams all seem to be ok as well.

We ended up changing 697 gallons out of 703 gallons and I put a 3 lb carbon pillow in the canister, I will be changing it out tomorrow for another 3 lbs.

Here is the list of what died: Male & Female Blue Throat Triggers, Naso Streamer Tang, Yellow Tang, Lime Wrasse, Christmas Wrasse, Hawk Fish, Copper Bandit Butterfly, 4 Chromis, Vlamingii Tang, 2 Cinnamon Blue Stripe Clowns, Dog Face Puffer, Green Bird Wrasse, Dragon Wrasse, 3 Cleaner Shrimps

I would like to thank all of you that I talked with on the phone through out the day on Monday. With out Nancy and all of you I would not have made it through the day or stayed in the hobby. You guys were a GREAT support group for me. So THANK YOU, Phishy, Hormigaquatica, geo, szwab, sammie, and jh2pizza. You guy's are the best. If you need any thing don't hesitate to call.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:50 AM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

wow brian that sucks. I have a yellow and pik sea cucumber i have had in my tank for three months no and he seems to b doing great. I would imagine the toxicity is what killed everything?
Old 09/12/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Really sorry to hear that. If I can help with anything please let me know. Tim
Old 09/12/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Brian, So sorry to hear about our losses... remember if you ever have an issue again i have room to hold some stuff for you.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:16 AM
Buckeye Fan

I am so sorry to hear that.
I knew they were toxic ,but wow.

It's better to burnout, than to fade away. Neil Young
Old 09/12/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your loses.
Old 09/12/2007, 10:48 AM
Team RC Member

Wow Brian. No amount of equiptment or planning can prevent a disaster like that.

I read somewhere that over time cucumbers loose their toxicity being in captivity.
Old 09/12/2007, 11:09 AM
We'll get 'em next year!

Unhappy Sorry Cavey

Sorry to hear that Brian.
How large was the cuke? I ask because I have several in my tank...
If there is ANYTHING I can do please don't hesistate to ask.
Old 09/12/2007, 11:26 AM

I hate hearing stories like that.

Hope things start looking up for you.
Old 09/12/2007, 01:35 PM
Professional somedays

Sorry to hear Brian. I've heard Black Cukes are toxic but I had no idea it would do a number on 700g. I've heard on a 50g that you'll lose the fish and the corals when they go. I would just keep switching out the carbon and keeping tabs on your params.
Old 09/12/2007, 03:17 PM
><(//////////////////))o>

I'm really sorry to hear your losses Brian. Keep get too down about it, I'm sure your system rebound in no time. If you need anything else, everyone's here for you.
Old 09/12/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear Brian.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 09/12/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Brian, I was just sick when you called. It hasn't been that long ago, I lost most everything.

You got my number. Columbus isn't that far.

Joe

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Brian, sorry to hear about your tank.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Wow, sorry about the tank!
Old 09/12/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

That really sucks, hang in there. If you need help let me know.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:54 PM
So easy a CaveMan

Thank you every one for your kind words and support. That is what makes this Club and group so good!! I quite the hobby like 5 times on Monday. But I know I could never walk away from some thing I love this much.
As much as it sucked on Monday, yesterday was pretty bad in it's own way. You get used to seeing all your fish buddies every morning when you get up and go near the tank, and now there is only the 4 fish. It almost looks empty.

Quote:
uztaryn Brian, So sorry to hear about our losses... remember if you ever have an issue again i have room to hold some stuff for you.
Thank you, Serdar made the same offer. My concern on that was the fact that all my Rock that has coral attached to it was contaminated with the toxins and I didn't want to chance contaminating some one else's system. Plus the fish were already stressed out to the max and I don't think it would have made a difference by the time we discovered it.

Quote:
hollback Wow Brian. No amount of equipment or planning can prevent a disaster like that.I read somewhere that over time cucumbers loose their toxicity being in captivity.
That's for sure, I figured I was pretty much set for just about any thing. My skimmer was going nut's! That is weird that they would loose their toxicity, I would think it comes from the fact that they are waste eaters and what not.

Quote:
porky Sorry to hear that Brian.How large was the cuke? I ask because I have several in my tank...
If there is ANYTHING I can do please don't hesitate to ask.
The Cuke was about 7" long and 1" thick. I know I will never put another one in my system.

Quote:
Genetics Sorry to hear Brian. I've heard Black Cukes are toxic but I had no idea it would do a number on 700g. I've heard on a 50g that you'll lose the fish and the corals when they go. I would just keep switching out the carbon and keeping tabs on your params
Yea I wouldn't have thought it would have effected a system this size either. I'm happy I still have my clams I got from you.

Quote:
jh2pizza Brian, I was just sick when you called. It hasn't been that long ago, I lost most everything.
I remember that, I felt bad for you when it happened. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Monday and passing the message on to Bill.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

OMG that sucks. i had a cuke on order and it was cancelled i am almost greatful now. Good luck and hope it turns around
Old 09/12/2007, 08:47 PM
Team RC Member

Brian not sure but you might also want to see what a polyfilter will pull out. Not sure if they will get toxins like that but the stuff they do pull out they are very effective at.
checked the website and it looks like it may be of help to you
http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyprod.htm
Old 09/12/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Brian, sorry to hear about your losses. Kind of glad we didn't hook up and get that Blue Hippo to you yet. He is still here and I will hang on to him until you get things settled out. Once your ready for him let me know. Heck he needs a good home as much as you need a good fish now! Sorry to hear of it again.
Old 09/12/2007, 10:22 PM
Ready For Some Football

Brian, I'm sorry for all your losses. Hang in there man. As one who has done the same with a sea hare, when you get to do it all again, you feel better.

LMK if I can do anything.

I do still have the rock for you. I have been down with the flu.

Old 09/13/2007, 08:06 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Brian, I'm pretty close, so don't hesitate to call when you need help. Sorry to hear about this
Old 09/14/2007, 07:22 AM
So easy a CaveMan

Quote:
draleigh OMG that sucks. i had a cuke on order and it was cancelled i am almost grateful now. Good luck and hope it turns around
I will be looking at all the other alternatives for clean up's from now on. If I go with another cuke it will have to be non-toxic or at least a lot less toxic. If there is such a thing. And things are already turning around. with the tank.

Quote:
szwab Brian not sure but you might also want to see what a polyfilter will pull out. Not sure if they will get toxins like that but the stuff they do pull out they are very effective at.checked the website and it looks like it may be of help to you
http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyprod.htm

Thanks for the info, I may have to look into those for sure. If not for now, for the future. They have a lot of good benefits to them. Thanks for the info and the link.

Quote:
Wildeone Brian, sorry to hear about your losses. Kind of glad we didn't hook up and get that Blue Hippo to you yet. He is still here and I will hang on to him until you get things settled out. Once your ready for him let me know. Heck he needs a good home as much as you need a good fish now! Sorry to hear of it again.
Yea I was thinking the same thing on not getting together yet. But yes I would still be interested in it. I just want to make sure every thing is ok first. Thank you for holding it for me. I will pm you when I'm ready.

Quote:
Lincutis Brian, I'm sorry for all your losses. Hang in there man. As one who has done the same with a sea hare, when you get to do it all again, you feel better.
LMK if I can do anything.

I do still have the rock for you. I have been down with the flu.
I didn't know you had the same thing happen(or if I did I forgot about it) It does suck that's for sure. Just cleaning the glass after doing all the other cleaning made me feel better.
Sorry to hear you have had the flue, hope you are feeling better.
As for the rock I do still want it, just let me know when I can come and get it.

Quote:
RokleM Brian, I'm pretty close, so don't hesitate to call when you need help. Sorry to hear about this
Thanks for the offer, same goes with you(and any one else) if there is any thing I can do to help, please feel free to let me know. BTW all the stuff you have been doing with your set up is looking really sweet, I have been reading your thread. Just haven't posted on it yet.
Old 09/14/2007, 10:25 AM
out of work reefer...

man I can relate to bad luck.you just have to keep going..good luck
Old 11/11/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear about your loss as well. I just removed a dead sea cucumber from my reef this morning. I have had the same three sea cucumbers in my various tanks since June of 2005. The one that recently died got stuck in one of my Vortech pumps. Sadly, the face/ tentacles were decapitated by the impeller blade. At first, I thought the cucumber was stuck, then when I turned off the power and removed the pump, I noticed the head/tentacles were missing. All my corals and fish are fine. Maybe the death happened to quickly to allow the animal time to release toxins into my system.

My sea cucumbers are all about 5 to 6 inches long and about 1/2 to an inch thick. They all have been really good pets to date.

I knew sea cucumbers can be toxic, but I figured I would be okay with 210g reef attached to 125g macro sump and a large skimmer. After hearing about what happened to you, I am seriously considering removing the remaining sea cucumbers from my reef.