Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/14/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

skimmer going nuts

Hi everyone
things have been going well with the tank untill today my skimmer just started overflowing into my sump. does anyone have an idea what causes this ? this is a first for me. it is an ams g3 with a valve mod on the output.
thanks for any input. harold

Life is like a peanut butter sandwich you never know if its smooth or crunchy till you bite into it !
Old 08/14/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

mine overflows if the water level is too high (i have the same skimmer) and if i clean the cup it'll overflow for a little bit. I just turn it down for awhile or off for a few hrs.

My coralife used to do it if i stuck my hand in the water.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 08/14/2007, 05:38 PM
RC Mod

Those putty sticks used for holding corals and rock into place also make the skimmer go nuts.
Old 08/14/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the replies. my water level is the same as it always is and I have not put anything new in the tank for three months or put my hands in there except to feed with the tips of my fingers and that never bothered it before .

would a water peramiter do this ? to much of this or that ?

Life is like a peanut butter sandwich you never know if its smooth or crunchy till you bite into it !
Old 08/14/2007, 08:09 PM
><(//////////////////))o>

If you use a dechlorinator or water conditioner such as "Stress Coat", this will do it too. Also, have you checked your skimmer's output to make sure nothing is partially clogging it?
Old 08/14/2007, 08:26 PM
GO BUCKS

try cleaning it. sometimes mine does it when it gets realy dirty
Old 08/14/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

My G3 used to overflow when I fed my tank my homemade mix of frozen seafood. I changed the recipe a little and it stopped. Have you fed anything different lately?
Old 08/14/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

I recently had mine go nuts after my main circ pump was down overnight for maintenance. The main tank had circulation and the sump had circulation including the skimmer, but when I put the sump back on-line, the skimmer went nuts the following couple of nights.
I also had it happen a couple of months ago when the tank was doing particularly well. I wonder if coral spawning could do it?
Old 08/15/2007, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

anything airborne that would be different? When was the last time it was cleaned? Does it appear to be drawling the same amount of air?

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 08/15/2007, 07:03 AM
RC Mod

It would also be good to make sure the air line is clear, they will clog at the venturi.
Old 08/15/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Tell you what, it sounds to me like it's just shot. Why don't you give it to me and I will properly dispose of it? :-)

I kid. Try what everyone else said.
Old 08/16/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. yesterday it just started working again like normal go figure! the venturi was clean and nothing blocking anywhere it could use a good cleaning and this would be a good time to put in that recirculaing mod I have all the parts.
thanks Kung for wanting to help out! but its working now