Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2007, 06:07 AM
I'll be here all week

Wow, thats top drawer. Your gonna need alot of SITC frags to get that monster filled up.

Maybe by that time I will have a couple pieces I can cut for ya.
Old 06/15/2007, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Cham - I'm hoping its going to be a hell of a setup, can't wait to get it up and running. And yes, its going to take a LOT of frags to fill it up. It is going to take way to long to get this thing together, but the wait will be worth it.

and frag 'donations' are always welcome ;-)

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 06/15/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Man I dont know about selling the pool table. Unless that is your going to sell it to me cheap.

I dont know if your stands are done yet, but I would say go with powder coating. For the main reason is its easier to clean. If there is any salt buildup or water drips on it or anything you can just wipe it down. Also you cant hurt it. It will stay on there as long as your tank is up and running.
Old 06/15/2007, 09:06 AM
I need a bigger tank!

I designed the entire tank myself, from top to bottom, including the plumbing layout, closed loop placement, overflow design, ect..
It was a lot of fun.
I am running Darts for each of the two closed loops. Sump return pump is a GenX PCX 40. All of these pumps are very quiet, run cool, and are very efficient (electricity wise).
In all honesty, I think the 6x6 will have to wait until we decide to move. My dream is to put the tank in the middle of a climate controlled solarium, viewed from all four sides, surrounded by my other passion, large tropical trees and plants filled with chameleons
Old 06/15/2007, 10:05 AM

you are all nuts.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

i think lusenut is right, if you go with the bed liner it's going to be hell to clean saltcreep. The sketchup designs look AWSOME. Have you done anything to the walls yet to where your going to fit the tank? I'm curious of how thats going to fit, with the lights. If you ever need any help send me a PM, if you have enough help, send me a pm anyway just so i can check it out, lol.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:29 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Wow, Tom!! Are you going to SRC with us? One of the speakers is doing a presentation on large tank building. I think you took one of the brochures but just wanted to throw that out there. You're doing an awesome job with all this! The design pics are just awesome!
Old 06/15/2007, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Wow, just wow. I can't wait to see this thing up and running as I'm a fan of cubes myself. Unfortunately I am stuck with a 2ft by 2ft but I hope someday to have the willpower to go to something that big.

BTW...I live right next to Winter Park so if you need any help with anything, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 06/15/2007, 04:31 PM
Patient Reefer

OK...I'm taking a drive to see this one!!!
Old 06/15/2007, 04:36 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
WOW you have like no budget....

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/15/2007, 04:38 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by sonofgaladriel
I designed the entire tank myself, from top to bottom, including the plumbing layout, closed loop placement, overflow design, ect..
It was a lot of fun.
I am running Darts for each of the two closed loops. Sump return pump is a GenX PCX 40. All of these pumps are very quiet, run cool, and are very efficient (electricity wise).
In all honesty, I think the 6x6 will have to wait until we decide to move. My dream is to put the tank in the middle of a climate controlled solarium, viewed from all four sides, surrounded by my other passion, large tropical trees and plants filled with chameleons

Sean.. where have you been? i posted on your thread but you never updated it...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/15/2007, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

lusenut - thanks for the advice, the more good things I hear about powder coating the more I like the idea. I think I will be going in that direction. Thanks for your input.

sonofgaladriel - nice setup, I can't wait to get mine running. I think the 2 darts for my system will work perfectly. I used to have a chameleon when I was younger, cool animals. That sounds like it will be an awesome setup.

jnarowe - nuts? why? Looks like your system i even bigger then mine.

ricanboy57 - the saltcreep thing is a good point. Thanks for the prps on sketchup, I have done some 3d animation so this is easy. I am also a graphic designer. As to the walls, I am having a contractor come next week to help me out. A interior designer friend helped me redesign my display space this morning, I willl post some updated pictures soon. Please continue giving any advice you can and I will let you know if I have any venting questions.

Me No Nemo - I am hoping to go. I still need to get stickets though and I am out of the country until the 2nd of july. Would love to go to SRC though. There are going to be talks on large tanks and LED technology, both is obviously interesting. Thanks for the props on my designs, I have spent a lot of time research and mostly studying other tanks so I think I have my basic bases covered.

taketz - Yeah, I decided to take the leap, looking forward to it. Thanks for offering help, I'm sure I'm going to need it and getting in touch with other ORCA members is always great.

mflamb - anytime

Bebo77 - certainly not on no budget (wish I was), just have the bility to concentrate on long term cost saving. Hoping that with quality equipment and LED lighting long term maintenance costs will help balance out the immediate investment.

Old 06/15/2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
jnarowe - nuts? why? Looks like your system i[s] even bigger then mine.
Well, I didn't exclude myself!
Old 06/15/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

haha... good. If what we are doing is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Old 06/15/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

i waanaaa see this monster soonnnnnnnnn
Old 06/15/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

I love how the set up is coming along. I'm tagging along as I myself am in the planning stages for a larger tank. I am excited to see how everything turns out.
Old 06/15/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

i cant wait to see this thing in actioni best of luck
Old 06/15/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

i love watching big tank setup
Old 06/18/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Time for an update... just wanted to quickly post a crappy picture of my 120g w/ the 60" Solaris H4s. This picture does not due the color justice at all. I will also post a picture of the tank with my older Current Outer Orbit 48" 2x250 watt metal halide and actinic fixture. Keep in mind that this older picture was taken under much better conditions so the color quality comes through better. I will try to take a better picture of the solaris setup when I have more time. I do like the color intensity and the look of the LED lights better then my halides, as far as personal opinion goes.

Old 06/18/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Solaris 60" H4 LED Fixture

Old 06/18/2007, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

sorry... really really crap picture... the fixture is also going through its sunset period so the lights were actively diming as I was taking the picture.

Now the older setup just so you all can see a clear picture of what I had and have. This is a well controlled and setup up image so it is much better. Enjoy

and another

Old 06/19/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

thirschmann,

Nice looking 120. Your new tank is going to be awesome.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 06/19/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Thank you

Has anyone here had experience with the Reeflo Tiger Sharp or Manta Ray pumps. It seems like they use a lot of power but I am going to have approximately 20' of head pressure and would like approximately 4000-4500gph, so I need a powerful pump. If you all have some alternative suggestions please let me know.

-Tom

Old 06/19/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Very VERY VERY NICE!!!
You’ll be adding the forth pump to that skimmer before you know it! (if you haven’t already done so)

Great JOB!
keep us updated!
Old 06/19/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

once again niceeeee