Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone know about the quality of the wavysea product? I gather it is basically the same thing as a seaswirl but you can control the speed and roation. If anyone has any experience with these units please let me know.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 06/08/2007, 11:06 PM
In Too Deep

You're motivating me to get off of my *** and actually work on my fish room.

Very nice work on the drawings too. How long do you think it took you to do all that? Im assuming you took actual measurements and everything is to scale? It certainly looks that way.

Ive been playing with SketchUp all night and I really like it. It certainly beats the old AutoCAD version 14 Ive got from the early 90's.
Old 06/08/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, the sketchup work is pretty easy and a lot of stuff can be found online. I found the skimmer and calcium reactors online and modified them to the same size as my equipment. The plumbing diagram was done over a couple of nights brainstorming different options. I ahve been working on my setup for a few months now so I could say exactly how much time I spent on Sketchup thought it was a good way to experiment with ideas. Yes everything is to scale, its a pretty easy program to work with once you get it down. Have fun playing with it.

Old 06/08/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

WOW....its going to be a sweet setup!! SUBSCRIBED!
Old 06/09/2007, 02:22 AM
Premium Member

Looks like it will be very nice. This member has a similar size tank, if I remember correctly, he actually ended up making it a little bigger. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...84#post8592084
Old 06/09/2007, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for that link, it was definetely helpful to see someone else who is trying to tackle the same flow problems that I am. With a large square tank water flow really becomes a problem. I have spent a lot of time researching flow and think I've come up with a good combination of equipment to handle some serious turnover.

Here is some updated rockwork pictures, I have decided to go with a LR bridge to span the canyon, I want to put acro plugs on each side and have them grow up and around the LR.

The red and blue pieces in the rockwork are tunze deco rocks hiding tunze streams. The idea for the rockwork is that there is a lot of open area within the rocks and below the rocks. They will be supported on 2 in" acrylic stands attached to the bottom glass panel

I like this look alot. There will be approximately 8 returns coming up through the live rock on 2 4way OM closed loop systems. Each of these returns are coming through the bottom of the tank and will have a few very small holes drilled in them just as they clear the glass to blast detrius out from under the rocks. The area underneath the rock supports and rock won't be bare glass but a thin layer of foam so that it will look more natural, I'm assuming sand won't be sticking around for very long down there due to the water movement.

Old 06/09/2007, 08:30 AM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

Nice well done on the stuff from DELTEC.. you will love their equipment.
Old 06/09/2007, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

I'm looking forward to using their equipment and hassling their customer service. The quality of the product is easily apparent in the craftmenship and design. Their customer service is also great thus far. Thanks for your interest

Old 06/09/2007, 02:39 PM
In Too Deep

Very Nice!

Couple of questions though.

How do you plan on getting the Streams out for maintenance?

Also, are the returns from the bottom coming from your sump or your CLs only? If they are coming from your sump, how will you be breaking the siphon?
Old 06/09/2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

No worries. I like questions, makes me think through stuff and hopefully catch something I haven't thought of yet.

The streams will be positioned in such a way that the weight of the rocks around it will be resting completely on the deco rocks, I do this in my 120 now and I can remove the tunze stream without removing the deco rock that houses it. Its a little work but everything holds steady as long as the area is left open enough.

The bottom returns are for the 2 closed loop systems. One will have a OM 4 way and the other a OM 2 way, probably. The main returns from the sump are being fed to 4 1" seaswirls or 4 1" wavyseas depending on which option I end up going with. These will be positioned above the tank in each of the 4 corners. Don't know much about either but I definetly want one of the two.

Old 06/09/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

for those who care, I have estimated my turnover rate at 49 to 51 times per hour with all pumps running full tilt, except for the tunze's on a controller. Now I know that my SPS colonies will be happy. This takes into account head loss to the best of my ability.

My equipment will be 1 dart, 1 barracuda, 1 hammerhead, 2 tunze 6100 streams at 100%, 2 tunze 6100 streams at 50%. I am hoping to add penductors where ever possible to help with the flow that gets cut down by coral growth over time.

Old 06/13/2007, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Here are some update picture on my lights. Just recieved my entire order from Seas in the City. The Solaris lights are awesome so far, I have already set up one of the 60" on my 120g, will post some pictures later to show the difference between MH and the LED lights.

3x 60" H4 SOLARIS fixtures in boxes with ballasts (the 4th is already on my old tank)
1x 24" H4 SOLARIS ... blah blah blah

24" Fixture opened

Close up Shot

Old 06/13/2007, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Filtration tanks should be coming in today and I'm finalizing my sump room designs and putting in the order for my stands today. So hopefully plumbing will begin this weekend.

I think I'm going with steel frames coated in a truck bed liner rather then powder coated. My builder tells me this is a better option, a opinions on this out there. Let me know.

Old 06/13/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

yes please post pics. i've been wanting to see the difference for a while now.
Old 06/13/2007, 11:25 AM
In Too Deep

Who is building your tanks? (Did you already say?)

As for the truck bed liner, the only thing I would not like about that is the fact that it has a rough texture. Sure, its probably more durable, but it will be very rough and will rub you raw if you rub it the wrong way.

Is he spraying it or subbing it out? Either way, he probably prefers the bed liner because he wont have to grind the welds on your frame as much as he would if he powder coats it.

I powder coated an aluminum stand and I love it. You will dent the metal before you crack the powder coating. The stuff is truly unbelievable.

So.... my opinion is to Powder Coat the stand. I think you will be A LOT happier in the long run. Just my opinion.

Before

After

I can take a close up if you want but I dont know how well it will do the finish justice.
Old 06/13/2007, 11:28 AM
In Too Deep

Oh yeah, are you using any lights other than the SOLARIS?
Old 06/14/2007, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

i wish i have this $$$$$$$ goodluck
Old 06/14/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

man that looks expensive...good luck with the build
Old 06/14/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

any pics of the lights yet?
Old 06/14/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

first things first... here are some pictures of my filtration tanks that I got today. They include a 120g water change tank, 180g sump, 210g refugium, and a 40g frag tank. Just one picture for now, still working on the stands.

adam82 - pictures are hard to find, sorry its taking me this long. I will take some picture tomorrow of my 120 with the 60' H4 Solaris and also post an older picture of the tank with my halides.

reefwaters - thanks for all the input. My tank is being built by Exotic Aquariums in Miami, unfortunately it will be a while before I get the display, I hate waiting.

You are probably right about the powder coating vs. the truck bed coating. I think I am going to request a sample of both from the stand builder so I can stress test it myself, guess that's the best way to go. As to your other question, he is spraying it.

Thank you for posting the pictures of your stand, it really looks good. Powder coating just looks so clean and nice. My original instinct was to go with powder coating but as mentioned I want to beat both up and see what they look like. Thanks for all the input and interest.

edwinn + jgs107 - yes, but worth it and thank you for your interest.

More pictures and updates to follow shortly, plumbing should begin soon. I think I have decided on a Hammerhead and a Barracuda to run the filtration system alongside 2 Darts for my 2 closed loops.

Old 06/14/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Here is a less then perfect rendition of the tank drilling diagram I am sending to the builder, finally they can begin construction. Its going to be a while because the panels need to be laminated and tempered.

Old 06/14/2007, 11:25 PM
I need a bigger tank!

I have a 4'x4'x2' semi cube tank. Here's some pics of my closed loop plumbing layout. The flow from this layout is very good throughout the entire tank. No dead spots.
My next cube will be 6'x6'x30". Its on the drawing board as we speak, but will have to wait until we move, or I sell my pool table

Old 06/15/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Very nice setup, I think I have seen some pictures of your setup before, but by now I have looked at some much for so long on RC I can't really be sure anymore. If I have one panel free I definetly would have gone with the same design as you have.

I'm sure you are excited about a bigger tank, I'm convinced that I will always want a bigger tank no matter what I have. This hobby is worse then a drug addiction, next they are going to have an aquarist on that "Intervention" show on tv.

Did you come up with the flow concept yourself or did you talk it over with the OM customer service? Please let me know if you have any design ideas I have not thought about yet, your experience is priceless as our tanks are so alike. Thank you for your intrest and input.

Old 06/15/2007, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

oh... and sell the pool table, much easier to just move that then an entire house. Plus you will get your bigger tank sooner as well, doesn't get better then that.

Old 06/15/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

sorry a few more questions, what are you using for pumps on your closed loops and how is the noise?

-Tom