Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 07:58 AM
><(//////////////////))o>

Byerly's was the only place locally that reliably carried blackworms. Aquarium adventure also started carrying them, but it was pretty unreliable, as they couldn't seem to keep them alive very long. I think they might have even stopped carrying them altogether, so probably no more blackworms in Columbus.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

hey I have a product called Entice, suppose to help with finiky eaters. It's kind of juicy fruit smelling, I've heard that it works really well but it didn't really work for my Regal. Might be worth trying I guess... I will bring it to the frag swap for you.

Personally I have always wondered about using products like Selcon and garlic extracts on finiky fish, they "cloud" the food and can't look to natural to the fish. The Entice is more clear the best I remember.

I rinse all of my frozen foods in a tea screen but in a situation like this I like to just break off a little piece of mysis and "float" it for a minute then wave it around breaking it up for the fish. PE Mysis is really nice. Big meaty pieces and already pretty cleaan.

I dig your new avatar btw.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

YEAH I CALLED EVERY AQUARIUM STORE BIG AND SMALL IN A 2 HR RADIUS NO GO. opps. caps

anyways, the only place to order them is from cali and the smallest amount is 1/2 pound

treg- Im big on rinsing food too. I tried galic extract, zoacon, er... two other vitamins, i hafta go look. i also tried gel tek deworming (supposed to smell enticing)
It seems like when i put cyclops in there that it swims around alot and appears to eat, but im not so sure. ive never found any waste yet.
I tried brine without rinsing, but the tanks only ten gal so i dont want to ruin the water.

I would love to try entice. thanks for the offer!
hes so skinny that if hes facing forward i cant see him unless im close. freaked me out the other day when i was spying on it. lol

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 10/10/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

oh, treg, pm'ed you a link. Ive been telling everyone about it, (avater link, theyre the coolest t shirts ever)

Old 10/10/2007, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

10g QT ? Hope he's small...

Thanks for that link! I can't reply to PM's from my phone for some reason... just quick replys. Those are cool. I'll have to get my dad one. He is big into Astronomy.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

yes hes small!!!!

Old 10/10/2007, 09:15 AM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
What store did you get the fish from?
Old 10/10/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

BBB=Better Business Bureau
Old 10/10/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

duh.

reefwidowed.. Im already causeing quite a rucus. i got in a huge argument the first time i was there, the guy, well, hes an old guy totally set in his ways, and he was yelling and throwing a fit because i said 'but just because i dont see ick now doesent mean its not there' aparently, if it isent there today, then it isent there period.

Im in a situation that if i have an emergency its really my only option unless i can drive 40 minutes or more. so im in limbo with hateing the place and being grateful that SOMTHING is close that has alot of supplies (petland and petmart have no marine stuff here.. and theres no petsmart) I gotta ship my dogs food!! lol

Old 10/11/2007, 11:07 AM
Moved On

no luck yet?
Old 10/11/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

nope. been 7 days too. and the worst part is this is the first day it wont come out of hiding (lil plastic cave it sleeps in)
Its been in there all day and i think its breathing heavy. i have maracyn2 on the way, might try that if it gets worse

Old 10/11/2007, 02:43 PM
Moved On

oh no =( I got a few fish from a local LFS here in utah. looked super healthy. A clown tang, a sailfin and a hippo. I couldnt get them to eat ANYTHING. The clown tang died two days ago than the sailfin, but my little hippo still seems happy as can be not eating!!!!! She comes out and swims as long as im no where near the tank, but hides as soon as i come close. I havent seen her eat a thing yet. I hope I don't lose her to. I asked if i could bring her back b/c i lost two and cant get her to eat and they said no =(

But im rooting for you! Hopefully he is a good faster
Old 10/11/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

cl2ysta1 hum. sounds like we are in the same situation. did you try any live food? Im hoping like crazy these arctic pods or entice work. i asked an ickologist about using marcyn 2 just to get it to eat (it has a stimulant in it that works everytime.. with sick fish. but this fish isent sick, so ill see what he says

I did a 75% water change and threw away the liverock that was in the qt, think i had ammonia building because it was out right after.

Old 10/11/2007, 03:13 PM
Moved On

I've checked water parameters a hundred times. I havent tried anything live yet. Just flake, nori, and frozen. I am getting some macro from a local guy tonight so hopefully she will find it in herself to graze. The hippo is not sick as far as i can tell. No ich, or damaged fins. Nothing. And the crazy thing is that i asked to see them eat before i bought it b/c of it being smaller. and they all ate flake like hogs!!!!!!! I however did not ask to see the clown tang or sailfin eat. So I keep thinking its something I'm doing. Maybe i'm just scary!
Old 10/11/2007, 03:18 PM
Moved On

pictures of the deceased

CLown tang

sailfin and hippo
Old 10/11/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

I try not to name my fish anymore but in passing the other day i called the copperband starvin marvin.... so marvin it is i guess lol

no he HAS to live!!

Old 10/11/2007, 05:07 PM
Moved On

haha starvin marvin! I dont name mine anymore until they enter "the tank" saves a lot of heartache
Old 10/11/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

crystl... heres the link to the thread i was talking about. a bit of usful info

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine...lant-only.html

Old 10/12/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Did you get it from RJ's???
Old 10/12/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

uhhu. the fish is really healthy, Im not blaming them for the fish not eatting.... (well, theyre were 2 copperbands and 1 dident eat, and i do wonder if he switched em on me when i was looking around while he caught it.. but thats so wrong they were each in seperate tanks so it wouldent have been a mistake)

anyhow.. the fish there were really healthy, just came in the day before i bought it.... whitch also may be why its not acclimating this time....

BUT, I am pretty angry with them for various other reasons.

Old 10/12/2007, 09:42 AM
Flea Slide

At this point if you do not have agresive fish in the main tank like a yellow tank that can harrass him, I will transfer him to the main tank. The posibility of it picking on corals is relatively small if you have feather dustes in your main.
I second what Paul indicated, the natural food of the CB is worms and that is what you want to look for him. If you can not get other than frozen blood worms get them, they look much like worms and bright red so it atratcts the fish attention. Mine eats them like candy since the first day. Because blood worms have relative low nutritional value once he starts eating them when feeding combine them with enriched frozwen artemia and finally start adding mysid shrimp which has a very high nutritional value.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

i tried the bloodworms, dident work. i also tried tubifex dried, also a no go.

I started doseing maracyn2 today. (yesterday it hid all day and i started to worry)

I really am dieing to add him to the main, but i just cant do it.
I added a tiny rock yesterday with a fanworm on it. the fan worm was there this morning when i went to the gym, when i came home.. well it hasent been out since but the fish was out so it may have eatten it.

heres a quote from a fish doc that ive been taking advice from for a few years

"It could be that the fish is just had it for acclimation and won't acclimate again. You ARE RIGHT about it not getting better in the display tank. The people who go ahead and put the fish in the display still are faced with training the fish to eat prepared foods while the fish is 'distracted' hunting for its normal foods. When people say it worked, what they are admitting to is that their QT was stressful (that is, they don't know how to quarantine without added stress to the fish)."

it makes sence. we'll see what the maracyn does. ive always gotton fish to eat on the 3rd day of a maracyn treatment... we shall see i guess.

Old 10/12/2007, 10:22 AM
We'll get 'em next year!

I agree w/jdieck, I'd add 'em to the display.
I've have never QT'd fish and have never lost one! That includes tangs, pygmy angels, mandarins, gobies and blenny's.
So conventional wisdom is not always one size fits all.
Good Luck!
Old 10/12/2007, 10:25 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID
Heres a quote from a fish doc that ive been taking advice from for a few years

"It could be that the fish is just had it for acclimation and won't acclimate again. You ARE RIGHT about it not getting better in the display tank. The people who go ahead and put the fish in the display still are faced with training the fish to eat prepared foods while the fish is 'distracted' hunting for its normal foods. When people say it worked, what they are admitting to is that their QT was stressful (that is, they don't know how to quarantine without added stress to the fish)."

it makes sence. we'll see what the maracyn does. ive always gotton fish to eat on the 3rd day of a maracyn treatment... we shall see i guess.
Although what is stated is a posibility, I did not quarantine mine.
Just went in in the maintank, imediatelly started grassing and picking to ofered food. Once it ran out of feathers, aiptasia and worms it started eating ofered foods with no problems.
IMO if it is stressed and the potential of him dying in the Q you will loose nothing by putting him in the main and let him get strong again by eating it's natural food.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:26 AM
We'll get 'em next year!

Have you tried Tigger Pods ?
Tigger-Pods are attractive large red copepods, Tigriopus califoricus. They swim upwards with a stimulating, jerky swimming motion which is attractive to both fish and people. Finicky fish love them!