Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/06/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Flow Suggestions

All,

Any input or suggestions will be great and appreciated!

I have a 5' 120 gallon with a mixed reef set up(LPS, Softies and a few SPS frags). I currently have 3 Hydors in the tank but want to cut down on the power draw for the tank. I am thinking about adding a CLS but do not have much experience with them.

What are you all doing? I know that a few of you have OM and I have been looking at those. I have a Pan World 200 PS that I am thinking about using for this applications so please give me your input.

Thanks for looking!
Old 08/06/2007, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Re: Flow Suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark Keeper
I currently have 3 Hydors in the tank but want to cut down on the power draw for the tank.
Arent those Hydor pumps really low in power draw already?

Normally when someone wants to cut back on electric, they dont add a closed loop. They get rid of them.
Closed loop pumps are usually pretty high in electric actually.

That Pan World 200 draws 290w and 1,750 gph.

A better choice would be a Sequence Dart. draws 160w and 3,600 gph.

Or if power usage savings is the goal, Tunze Streams...

6045 Nano 8w - 1,200 gph.
6000 Stream 15w - 1,850 gph
6100 Stream 36w - 3,200 gph

For what the Dart uses you could have 4x 6100's and a 6000 stream for over 14,000 gph.

OM is a neat item for sure tho.
I have a 2 way squirt on my return line and a 4 way on a closed loop in the bottom of the tank.

If your wanting a OM, can you get one hooked into your return line?
Old 08/06/2007, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

I have a 5' 120G as well. I have one MJ Modsin each corner and my return about 1/3 way down the length of the tank--probably 300GPH from the return. Plenty of flow.
Old 08/06/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Treg,

You are right. I guess I should re-state my thoughts. I am trying to save on the outlets that plug into my controller (I guess). As for the power consumption my wife has not caought onto how much power my tanks are drawing so at this point it is ok. I am really looking for something that will be less intrusive on the tank and make it look "more natural". The Hydors, Tunze's etc all are big and bulky in the tank. I am looking for a less visible waterflow option for the tank.
Old 08/06/2007, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Yep, I understand completely.

Are you going to tear the tank down to drill it or plumbing over the back? IMO a tank with a bunch of lockline or PVC fittings sticking thru the back from a CL looks just as bad as a couple power heads...

Again, the OM units are pretty slick. If you can hide the plumbing well enought to make you happy, go for it. A Sequence Dart or Snapper would be a good choice for a pump I think.

Another option, how about a couple controlable 6055 Nano streams? They are pretty small compared to a Hydor or regular Stream.
Get a Tunze controller and you can remove them from your controller all together. You can mod the Nanos for extra flow too.
Old 08/06/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

You can do what I did and build them into the overflow. My tunzes were pretty much hidden with only about 3 inchs sticking out. You do have to have a huge overflow though to hide them in.
Old 08/06/2007, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

One thing to point out, Plumbing an OM can take up some room and be somewhat of a pain...

This is under my 5' long tank, just to give you an idea...

Old 08/06/2007, 02:31 PM
Team RC Member

Nice and clean Treg!

Vance, I'm all about the CL with the OM. Like Treg recommended I'm using a Dart. I spoke to Paul at OM and he recommend setting up the OM to "barrel roll" my water volume. It has worked better than I could have ever imagined. Paul recommended this to me as a sample of what he was talking about. Mine is the same principle without the holes in the bottome of the tank (tempered glass). You'll get a better idea tonight.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:09 PM
><(//////////////////))o>

Where'd you get the Black Flexible PVC Treg?
Old 08/06/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Savko.

Thanks Jason.

I have mine spinning like a whirlpool. The two in the back are on 90's blowing out and the two on the front are 45's blowing up and towards the overflow.

1&3 and 2&4
Old 08/08/2007, 06:38 AM
CORA Member

I have a Hammerhead on a 4 way that I am taking out soon. I can include all the spaflex too. The 4 way has a Version 1, Version 3 and a milled down Version 1 drum included. Its the 1.5"/2" Version.

CORA Member
Old 08/08/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

you have a pm
Old 08/08/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Ok now another question to go along with the flow question.

Can I run a OM off of a pressure rated pump or do I need to get a Dart ?
Old 08/08/2007, 01:08 PM
CORA Member

Sequence pumps tend to pull less watts per GPH than other pumps.

CORA Member