Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

DIY In tank bbs breeder

just wondering has anyone ever thought of an in tank bbs hatcher that will allow bbs through more easily. I currently use a bbs hatcher for some dwarf seahorses but usually i only see adult bs venture out of the hatcher into the tank(its one of those hang on bbs hatchers) is this idea stupid or should i hatch them seperate and physically put bs in when i see they are baby's in. Just a thought because i am thinking of raising bangaiis and am reading up on breeding them.

thanks

mik
Old 11/17/2004, 02:28 AM
the cow flys at dawn

its best to add them seperately from hatching

there are a number of reasons water quality is one, control is another, if you are still after an automated one, your next best bet is to hatch out the bbs put it into a container with some phyto and drip that into your rearing tank.
Old 11/17/2004, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Agreed, hatching in-tank degrades water quality seriously. Easier than a drip set up for bbs is a small bottle (7oz) with a 1/4" hole drilled in the cap. Load with bbs and place in the rearing tank. It will take hours for all of them to drift out. Experiment with the hole size and position of the bottle to regulate the rate. This is what they do at SDC and it seems work very well for them.
Old 11/17/2004, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the advice ill try that
Old 11/17/2004, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

What I've seen on the subject is the idea of using a lower salinity water in the BBS hatchery and the theory is that the tank water suspends the BBS water and keeps it isolated. BBS can swim out into the SW when they get strong enough.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/...matic+Feeders#

.brine shrimp corral a unique system that hatches and feeds brine shrimp to your fish continuously the saltwater and eggs in this hatchery do not mix with the tank water, yet the newly hatched shrimp can freely swim into the aquarium for your fish to eat

$ 13.53

SKU # 3315301198
ID # 129758
Old 11/17/2004, 10:39 PM
the cow flys at dawn

yea but you do know you can buy these magnets and silver fluid both will cure you of cancer, broken bones, and anything else that you can imagine.

in reality that doesnt quite work it just mixes which is just as bad as tossing the hatch water into your tank.

also your missing the best of brine shrimp, you *should* either be feeding it just after hatching or more than ?8-12? hours after hatching so you can enrich them.