Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2004, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

breeding the orchid dottyback

Ok

I am in the planning stages of trying to raise these guys. I have read the bible "breeding the orchid dottyback" and I have a couple of questions.

1. Martin Moe seemed to have good success because he had access to wild plankton, living in Pittsburgh I do not. He talked about the problems he may have had using only Baby brine shrimp, but he also mentions that ORA said they have raised dottybacks on Brine shrimp only. So with this said since the book came out almost 7 years ago have there been any improvements with feeding techniques. I would really like to only need rotifers and baby brine, and then hopefully graduate to smashed fish pellets in the later stage of the larvae life.

2. He mentions about putting in streptomycin is this really necessary?

3. Any personal experiences will be appreciated.

I will have 4 20 gallon grow out tanks connected together with what ever size sump I can get my hands on, the breeding pairs, I am getting Orchid and sunrise will have a 55 gallon and a 75 gallon tank to them self’s.

I have been raising Banggais for about 3 years now, it is time to try some thing else, and no one in my area wants any more so it is no longer cost affective, I will continue to raise them though as long as my pair continues to cooperate.

Thanks
Old 11/09/2004, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

If that book is the bible, does that makes Bill Addison the "god" of Dottybacks?

1.Even 7 years ago we were raising Dottybacks on rotifers and artemia. We had access to plankton, but never need to use it.

2. The larvae is very prone to bacterial infections, sometimes antibiotics are needed.

3. I went out with this girl once, oh you mean breeding personal experiences? PM me as soon as they start spawning. I will forward you some emails I sent to a fellow breeder.

What about the size of the larval tanks?

Edgar
Old 11/09/2004, 09:51 AM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

Personnaly I think that 55 and 75 gallon tanks for the broodstock is a waste of tank space. The orchids I know will do fine in a 10 or 20 gallon tank.
Old 11/09/2004, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Guys

Who is Bill Addison did he have a book or some thing. Don't take it so literally.

Not sure why I have to wait until they breed to get some info but thats cool.

Tanks are already setup and hold my SPS so they are already being used and will double as holding tanks so it is not a waste of space.

Larvae tanks will be the 20 gallon tanks.
Old 11/09/2004, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

If you are breeding them for fun 20 gal. would be fine, if not the larval tanks should be bigger. As big as you can have.