Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Alkalinity to high???

In the two reef tanks I am currently taking care of the Alkalinity readings are coming up really high. Is this necesarilly bad? Will it inhibit coral growth? My DKH is 12.8 in one tank and 15.2 in the other!
I have been using "2 little fishies" 2 part calcium additive and the calcium levels are still not where I want them (mid to high 300's) but the Alkalinity just keeps raising. Any advice would be appreciated.
-Thanks
Old 11/13/2007, 06:05 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

test your magnesium, and stop adding the alk part, just add the calcium
Old 11/13/2007, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Those Alkalinity levels will drop on their own if you stop dosing the alkalinity portion of the two part solution. If you are unable to raise your calcium higher than 370-390, my bet is that you have low magnesium. Low magnesium will make it difficult or impossible to raise your calcium any higher. If you are using IO salt, you most likely have low magnsium. It usually tests around 1170. It should be around 1300.

What ALK test kit are you using? The reason I ask is that there a number of Salifert alkalinity kits that people have received over the past 3 months that are innacurate. They read dKH 2 to 3 points higher than they actually are.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response!
Yeah I have been using a Salifert Alk test. I just received it a couple days ago from an online store. I use Oceanic Sea Salt, which it says "Contains High levels of Magnesium".

But Im not sure if this is enough, I have never measured the levels.
Is it possible to achieve and maintain Calcium ratings in the 400-450 range with only a two part calcium additive (no Kalkwasser) if I have the proper level of Magnesium??

Does any one know which part of the 2 little fishies two part is the Calcium and which is the Alk? A or B?
Old 11/14/2007, 03:31 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

hey matt. I'm not sure which part is the cal and alk. i would hold off. I am running into the same problem right now with my cal reactor and my alk is always around 15-16 level and cal was at 410. It was starting to burn my sps a little so i turned the reactor way down.

and you can maintain cal and alk with a 2 part solution with or without kalk. you should just test on a regular basis.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:41 PM
Moved On

12.8 is ok but 15.2 is a little high. lol
Old 11/14/2007, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

I would get a different Alkalinity test kit to double check before you do anything. The quality of those Salifert kits is questionable.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

If you have a PH probe and you place it in a glass containing Part A or B and it goes up to say 10 or so you have found the ALK part.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:55 PM
One Good Friend

My alk stays around 10-11dkh at all times without dosing. I only use the calc part fwiw.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I have read that some reefs in the wild experience alk as high as 18. Basically high alk is not a real big issue but you should shoot for lower.
Old 11/15/2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

In case of problems, you can do more water changes with water, having lower alkalinity. In my case it was Kent salt mix, as opposed to IO and Red Sea.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Floppy Mc Flops

Does any one know which part of the 2 little fishies two part is the Calcium and which is the Alk? A or B?
Should say on the bottles which one is which. I believe the A bottle is calc.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I use a different 2 part, but it is obvious which is the alk becuse it clouds the water. It is also the first additive you add. Hope that helps.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reponses!

Does anyone have any experience with the Salifert Coral Calcium additive? Does it raise ALk along with calcium levels?

Has there ever been any Scientific reaserch done on the effects of high Alk on reef tanks? As to any detrimental effects?