Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2006, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

New AGA 90 Setup!

Well here it is. My new 90Gal AGA with Black Oak stand and 30 gal DIY sump. I don't have my return pump yet (I haven't decided between the Mag7 and Eheim 1260) Right now I'm using my Fluval 404 as a return and am running carbon in it. I just got It Saturday / built the sump and set it up and half filled it. Then yesterday I filled it the rest of the way using the water from my 65. And transfered the 40lbs of aragonite from my old tank and mixed with 30lbs of new aragonite. As well as the 90lbs of Fiji Live rock. All my livestock switched over nicely. My Blue Haddoni was a bit of a hassle but other than that it went very smooth. Comments welcome... I like the rock the way we have it but I'm open to suggestions as well. I only have Pc lighting in there now but I have 2 x 250w MH on the way with icecap ballasts. (Should be here in a week or so)

Old 10/30/2006, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

I have the same tank. Yours looks nice. I went from a mag 7 to the eheim 1260 for my return. I like the ehiem better, but only because it runs quieter. What skimmer is that?
Old 10/30/2006, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

I like the rock the way you have it.
I've had Mags and Eheims. In my opinion, the Eheim is far superior. It's quieter, cooler and uses less energy...Also seems to be built better IMO. I use a 1260 for my skimmer and love it. The mag 5 it replaced has turned into a utility pump for changing water.
You're going to love the halides on that tank. My friend has a 90 with 2 x 250 14KK Hamiltons and it looks awesome.
Old 10/30/2006, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

What corals do you have in there? I switched from PC to T5. I received some excellent advice on RC about acclimating the tank to the new light using window screens.
Old 10/30/2006, 09:35 PM
Hulkamaniac

If I may make a suggestion try oceanrunner pumps. I have a 3500 on mine and it is to much flow. I reccomend the 2500. they use less watts than mags of comparable size. They are also much quieter and less money than the eheims
amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1
Old 10/30/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Its a Coralife SuperSkimmer 220 Dmack.
I think I'm going to go with the eheim I need everything I can to be as cool as possible I have no chiller nor am I planning on buying one. I'm going to install a couple vantech stealth fans to cool the canopy.
I plan on acclimating slowly starting with a hour a day and going up from there with the MH. My coral list is pretty short. I have Colt coral, Bubble coral, Favia, 2 small zoa colonies and I don't know what the red tree looking thing is I bought it out of the bargain tank at my lfs. And the last one I don't remember.. Metallic green something or other. It spreads a pinkish substance that looks like coraline algae and grows green shoots..
(edit) I forgot the finger leather..
Old 10/30/2006, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

I have a 90AGA and I have a mag 7 on it. Your tank looks nice...I like the rock work.
You should post pic of your full tank here on this 90g pic thread...

I know shameless...

Joe
Old 10/30/2006, 09:59 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

That is nice, im working on mine, still cycling though.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 10/30/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Done Darthbaiter. Just got back from there.
Old 10/30/2006, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

No pics in your little red house criminal...