Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Maxijet mod vendor

Who was the vendor at the last meeting selling the Maxi mods?

Thanks,

PS> I was in RMS in Willoughby on Friday and I looked at their MJ-1200 and I swear the price tag said $42.99... it had lots of numbers on the tag and that was the only one that looked like a price... I hope not since they are the internet for $19
Old 10/29/2007, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

His name was Steve Shin

I bought 2 of the skinnier ones but they are to powerful for my frag tank and blow all my sand around so if anyone wants them. $16 each. Thats what they were at the meeting and he discounted them there. LMK Ben
They come with everything even the mounting stuff and fit all maxi jets
Old 10/29/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Marine Depot has those kits on sale right now for 14.99 a piece.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Those aren't the same kit
Old 10/29/2007, 06:40 PM
15 & Over Club

before you go buying one the new mount should be out

At our last meeting, after the last raffle.
Right when everyone was scrambling out. Gal who was there with her boyfriend/husband...something Mark83...can't recall exactly...overheard her talking to Mr. Shin. She was asking him about the new mount they are coming out with.

Mr. Shin said, he should have those in time for our Nov meeting. Might want to hold off until you can see the ball and socket swivel mount version.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

I'm just going to use it in my salt mixing tank so I could care less about the mount.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:13 PM
T5 Reefer

The kit that Dan sells for $19.99 (at salty critter) already have the magnet attached to the propeller. The kit you get at the meeting you have to snap your MJ impeller off and snap the new propeller onto the magnet. IMO that was half the problem with the kits sold by Lutz. If it isn't snapped on perfectly it isn't balanced and we all went through lots of propellers when he was trying to sell them here. This is the same guy making these parts.
I would rather have the thing already made and the option of going back to a powerhead anytime you want with the original MJ parts. The mount they include with the kit at the meeting has 4 suction cups to mount it. You know that those are only good for a few months then they get hardened and won't stick to anything. The SureFlow mount can be mounted on a SureGrip magnet or any other magnet that you want to glue it to. (cheap algae magnets are like $7 and would hold it on most tanks)

Just my opinion.

Last edited by itZme; 10/29/2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I could have sworn the kits at the meeting (at least 1 of them) had the magnet attached , it was like pull the old shroud off and impeller assembly and slide the new prop/magnet in with the new shroud and a done deal, I will agree I was not impressed with the mounting though
Old 10/29/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

He had 3 different kits there, the most flow one was the snap, the medium one had the one piece but didn't come with the mount.
They really should have waited to come to show there stuff after all the bugs were worked out and they had real marketable product. IMO

That being said, I did order one to try out and give a review of. I will be getting it at the next c-sea meeting is what I'm told.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:40 PM
T5 Reefer

Cool Erik, I look forward to your review. Do you plan on doing the bag method and try to get an actual flow rating and possibly compare it to the Tunze or Koralia pumps? Would also be great to see it compared to the SureFlow ones.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Product sales at C-Sea meetings

Please remember C-Sea bylaws prohibit vendor sales at meetings. If Mr. Shinn prearranged the sales and was to meet before or after the meeting (for example in the parking lot) that works and it always done, but bringing product to meetings for sale is prohibited so please keep this in mind. The bylaws were setup to prevent commercial vendors from profiting from a not for profit hobby club.

Thanks
Old 10/29/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

To my knowledge this was not organized by a club officer, they just showed up by being invited by a club member. Someone trying to be helpful but it wasn't the right place or time to do so. We barely had time to get the big raffle off.
Erik
Old 10/29/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Very interesting Neon..... how would that work if the vendor was selling his product at the meeting at a loss? IE: taking a loss for sales at the meeting to get his product out to the club? I'm not sure if that was the case or not (probably not)
Old 10/30/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

loss/ profit doesn't matter. Getting a deal is not what the club is about.
Old 10/30/2007, 08:15 AM

I bought one of the sureflow kits from Dan a few weeks back. I've been very impressed with it. It would be a great solution if it came with the sure grip magnet for a little more. I've just been mixing saltwater with it so far, but plan to get another for my frag tank.

I already had the MJ's modded from the first ones Lutz was selling, but I wasn't using them. The sureflow coming complete with the whole impeller was nice. I've heard they will be releasing a higher flow model soon also.

I think they even claim you can run the sureflow on a wavemaker?

So...Any chance Lutz is gonna give us that bought in on the first round a trade in rebate?

Same day I bought the MJ mod from Dan I got this nice scraper you glue to your cleaning magnet. That thing is an coraline destroying machine! Now I just need to figure out how to keep my mag FLOAT from floating so I can scrape the bottom glass.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

I think this is their website

http://www.tritonaquatics.com

I thought it looked pretty slick. The guard was one of the wider ones I've seen, wider than the Sure flow, which I liked. I thought he said the newer models don't require you to break off the magnet from your old maxijet but the website still says you do.
Old 10/30/2007, 11:49 AM
15 & Over Club

Arrow hmmm

it's a huge outlay from the start but the tunze unfortunately look better and better with all of the this and that and if this works and if this fits to and fro. I'm on the fence again...I was ready to place my good money down too. lol.

And I'm not really jumping for joy over maxi-jet powerhead quality to begin with. (one of the lock ups that tripped my GFCI and nuked a full tank of frags while out of town was a maxijet). And no I was not using it as a green hair algae LaMachine due to lack of good tank maintenance either.
Old 10/30/2007, 12:06 PM

If you mean the nano streams it seems they have some issues themselves. The problems at first seemed to be just with the clips, but I've heard from 3 locals (on this forum)in the last month alone had other issues. One lasted just a few days.

I have several tunze streams, and love them all don't get me wrong. I have also delt with tunze customer service, and have no doubt they will fix every pump. Just not so sure these are up to the quality they are known for.
Old 10/30/2007, 02:39 PM
15 & Over Club

The vortech's with voltage and niose elimination and such with magnetic through glass idea seem in theory even better still...BUT there is noway unless I obtain a lottery winners salary (not likely)am I going to go to that extreme.

Hmmm...more to mull. It's always something.

Of course if I go to separate GFCI loops on say each pair of powerheads and rate them at 15 amp or lower than the 20 amp main GFCI's then if wouldn't matter whose powerheads...maxi-slops modded or tunze's.

Ok, ok...I think I'm off the fence again. Maybe. (wets finger and checks air for which direction wind is going)
Old 10/31/2007, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

I have 4 of the tunze nanos (2 6025s and 2 6055s). I have had the 6055s since they first came out. All have been great except for the clips. After they came out with the new clip design, Roger at Tunze mailed me 4 new clips at no charge.
Old 10/31/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

My take on Tunze.... I've had 4 of there products go bad over the years, my 6080 went bad twice and was sent back in for repair twice, my 6100 needed a new empellar, my single controller went bad and had to be sent in for repair. Yes agree the customer service is above and beyond, you always hear that too. But when you think about it, why should you have to use customer service so much? Why is it that you see more threads about tunze stuff needing repair and the great customer service you get from Roger? Shouldn't a great product not need such service? I'm trying to think, I don't think I've ever had to send any other thing I've owned in for customer service before, out of all the stuff I've bought. So I ask myself then why do I continue to by it then if I keep having issues with it? Is there really no other good solution to tank needs other then tunze for me? I think its time for me to start looking at other options...I'm not going to stop using tunze though as the watts/flow is hard to beat but I think its time to find a better solution.
Question I'm starting to wonder, Why is it that everyone praises Tunze's customer service all the time but know one stops and thinks or posts that theres that many people praising the customer service, there must be that many problems with the product to warrant such service?

The tunze 6045 I won at last months meeting didn't stop making a loud buzzing noise from the impellar hitting the plastic cover. I gave it 3-4 days and had to take it back.

Next big pump purchase, vortech is going to get my money I think
Erik
Old 10/31/2007, 09:19 AM

My 6080's have been pretty much bullet proof so far, but my wavebox lasted a little over a year running 24/7 before needing repair.

It just seems like the majority of nano stream owners I know locally have had issues.

I don't think I could make vortechs work with the way I have most of the flow setup in my tank now. I would LOVE to compare 2 of them making the wave action to the wavebox.
Old 10/31/2007, 10:54 AM
T5 Reefer

ask Jeff serpentman about vortech problems. at $750 for his 2 pumps i would have expected better cust support than he got.
Old 10/31/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

So, do you recommend not getting the vortecs? heard your tunze had problems too? one of the 6025's I have made a ton of noise for the first day then went pretty quite, I've never had the broken clip issue like most.
Old 10/31/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Roger had said there was some issue with vaseline they put on the nanos to test them at the sfactory. They didn't wipe it off well enough and it gums up causing noise until it burns off so they all make noise the first 48 hours. Or something like that.

I think they have the Vortech issues sorted out but they also have the nano issues sorted out as well. It's the price you pay (sadly) for being an early adopter.