Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Maxijet mod trial #2

Hi all,

First of all I hope everyone is having a safe & happy Thanksgiving.

I tried the latest prop I received at the last club meeting & did the
mod by Triton Aquatics that I recieved a couple meeting before. I have a 75 gal. reef tank loaded with corals & live rock. My MJ1200's sit in the back corner of each side of my tank and I bounce the flow off of the side & front glass which gets it to the rest of the tank. I did the kit mod and plugged it in, MAX FLOW...I mean a lot of flow. Corals frags getting blown off the rocks and sand bed flying around. The mod ran for about 5 seconds and then started to chatter and finally locked the pump up. Took the kit apart and re-installed and same thing happened again. I took the mod back off of the MJ1200 and reinstalled the Hydor which gives a nice random surge pattern, just not quite enough though.
From what I know it seems like the stainless steel shaft supplied with the kit was too long as there was a lot of slop in the prop/magnet assy. when assembled.

I guess I am concerned as to why it locked up, must have been the prop hitting something or a lockup on the magnet end?
I don't think even if it did work I would use it because it provided too much flow(corals almost pinned to the rock with the flow)!!
Somehow I don't think this is what nature intended. This mod might work on a 150 gal. or larger size or a tank with more open water to disperse the flow. The prop locking up still needs to be addressed. If we are not happy with these can we get our money back?

Dave
Old 11/23/2007, 11:43 AM
15 & Over Club

vent off or divert some of the output sideways????

Dave,

Can't address the propeller lock-up part.

Although the general idea is to not have to frabricate things in the 1st place.
However, if you got the prop part to work.

Couldn't you cut some 3 sided squares say 3mm to 4mm to make a square flap and push the cut end towards the inside of the output without touching the prop? This would inhibit hydraulic pressure increase and limit and divert or vent off some of the water flow around it's diameter rather than the husky blast that's moving everything in the tank?

Basically limiting the efficiency and concentration of the output.

Last edited by CleveYank; 11/23/2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:25 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

My take:

I got around to installing the new prop/volute and swing arm to my MJ 1200.

Pros: crazy sweet flow, better mounting hardware.

Cons: Impellar is diffcult to work with, directions were not exaclty accurate, they were adequate though. Having to use the old Mj's magnet. Suction cups.

Later
Old 11/24/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Not sure yet whats going on with the maker of these pumps, I was promised a refund by last fridays meeting for pump I wanted to buy but never received and I still haven't received it yet. I did get a email stating he forgot and it would be in the mail the next day and its been a good few days now and still nothing. I will keep all informed as to what happens next.
He wanted the free mod he sent me back to run some tests on it, you would think he'd want to get right on that if there truely is a flaw in the design that could cause issues for other reefers out there. not sure though?
Did you get any word back from him Dave?
Erik
Old 11/24/2007, 10:20 AM
RC Mod

We did a maxi jet mod workshop last year, some of the props needed to be trimmed down in size to prevent the random chatter. If you have the rc boat prop you might try trimming the blades back just a hair.
Old 11/24/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Well it seems I'm not going to get my refund for a kit I never received he wants me to meet up with his father or co owner for the refund. Not sure thats worth my time doing and the possible arguement over. He clearly stated I would receive a check in the mail and a box to send back his free mod to see why it locked up on me.
If anyone would like any further details on why not to buy from triton aquatics pm me.
Thank you
Erik
Old 11/24/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Hi All,

I sent Triton aquatics an email and they said that I had the chatter issue because there was too much slop in the shaft. They said I needed a second washer. You would have thought that they would have included it with the kit with some instruction like if you get chatter try this............ But anyhow, Triton said that if I wanted a refund I had to get it from the guy who sold me the mod kit, not Triton. Triton is the manufacturer & not the retailer. Triton said they would contact the retailer(the guy at the club meeting that took our money) to see if I can get a refund. Triton did mention about getting me a different size prop to cut down on the flow. Yeah I know that sounds strange but this mod just blew sand & corals everywhere. I think at this point I would be happy with my money back and calling it a day. I will keep you updated on what happens.......

Dave
Old 11/24/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

good luck getting your money back. I got the run around completely from them. I really hope everyone sees what went on with or club past and present with Triton aquatics. If you sure user name Lutz, his original rc name, you'll find lots of information how things went wrong on his first round of mods
Erik
Old 11/24/2007, 11:54 PM
T5 Reefer

I have heard from more than one member that Lutz claims that he offered me a refund for the 4 units I paid for during the first "deal" he had.
I have NEVER been offered anything other than more useless replacement parts. I gave up trying to get anything out of the guy after he was banned from RC. He also claims that I "knew where to reach him" I didn't know anything about the name "Triton aquatics" until this new unit came out. I remember the name being molded into the first crappy mods I bought and was surprised to see them try to come back to the club for more sales.

I didn't fall for it again and was waiting to be contacted by PM about replacing the old units like other members were. I thought after he read my comments about the old units that he might actually have enough pride to do SOMETHING for those mods that he "guaranteed" for us.

I have heard many promises from this company and have seen most of them broken. I even commented that I would give an HONEST review hoping that he might be a man and come to me about the $88 that I wasted on his product. It isn't the most expensive thing I have ever wasted money on in this hobby so I guess I will just write it off as another learning experience and make sure to check the forums daily for people recommending this product and point them to the several threads that show the way things are really handled.
Their website says there is a "LIFETIME GUARANTEE" on their products. I guess it is at the companies own discretion whether you are going to get the guarantee or not.

I think there is still a chance for him to pull through this if they REALLY wanted to uphold their reputation but I really have doubts that they will do the right thing this time any more than last time.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

you may have seen the below thread on the maxijet mod. if not, scroll through; lots of great info. a guy named dhnguyen has been modding these for a long time. he can get you pointed in the right direction.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 11/25/2007, 12:00 AM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
you may have seen the below thread on the maxijet mod. if not, scroll through; lots of great info. a guy named dhnguyen has been modding these for a long time. he can get you pointed in the right direction.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
The product they are talking about here is supposed to be a pre-tested, nothing else needed kit that works out of the box. It is causing trouble for people and they don't want to have to fiddle with things to make them work. It should be pretty much plug and play.

Modding an MJ pump is not really what they are going for but more of a "pop this onto your MJ and watch it work" kinda thing. Our club bought a bunch of mods from the same vendor last year and had nothing but trouble and breaking parts. Understandably they are now upset with the new product that is also failing.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The product they are talking about here is supposed to be a pre-tested, nothing else needed kit that works out of the box.
Exactly. That's what the entire thread discusses. Gives reviews on the SureFlow, EcoSystems, and GSII. Great read w/detailed pictures and videos.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:25 AM
15 & Over Club

For those who mentioned problems, thanks

wow.

Did I dodge a bullet.

I was going to put my good money down for 2 or 4 of these.

Rather have 10 low output powerheads that work and have to pay to drive them all than have 1 that doesn't. Or highly expensive ones that although they stand behind you have to play around with returning and such.

For now, I guess I'll stick with major laminar flow and 3 pulsing setup that I've been using all along than playing with any of these. I get desired wavy disruptive patterns so that's just going to have to do it for now.

Thanks for the heads up folks.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Hi All,

Its been several days now & the manufacturer is pointing fingers at eveyone else. Still no refund or no"fix kit" from the manufacturer so I guess I am out $16! I feel that we were taken advantage of with no recourse when the kit did not work as advertised. I have tried to tell the manufacturer to step up to the bar and help make this right but all I hear is whining from him. I guess I should had bought the mod from a local reef store so I could get my money back. Still learning after all these years........

PS: Ron send me a PM so we can talk about this

Dave
Old 11/27/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Yeah he sure doesn't want to own up to anything, first it was my fault cuz of a power outage messed up my maxijet, then I recreated the lock up on a different maxijet and had the same results it was send it back and let me test it.
With so many product recalls out there, I wonder when he will do a recall on these.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:15 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

man bad press for the Gulf Stream II kits

SUCKS
Old 11/27/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Hi All,

I have been told by Triton that they will take the kit back and give me a refund. To make the kit work(no lockup) I think I needed two nylon washers on the shaft. I feel Triton should provide that in the kit with a note saying if you have chatter or lockup use the second washer. I hope they will start adding the extra washer to the kit. For the few seconds that it did work it really put out the flow(too much for my tank). I am very happy that Triton is being responsive to a customer and not pointing fingers at other parties. A good manufacturer will stand behind its product and do the right thing which I feel they are now doing. According to Triton there are a boatload of these mods in the field working but my luck I get the one that did not. The story of my life

Dave
Old 11/27/2007, 10:43 PM
T5 Reefer

Weird that you, Erik and Andy got the 3 bad ones out of the hundreds in circulation isn't it?
Old 11/28/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Saying your going to get a refund and actually getting one from him are to different things.
Erik

Still bitter at this hole thing
Old 11/28/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Hi Eric,

Well let's give them a chance. The returned mod goes out today and I will see if I get my money back. I will keep you guys posted.

Dave
Old 12/03/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Hi All,

Just a quick update, I did get my money refunded from Triton and I want to thank them for that. I think if they put the extra nylon washer in with the kit it will solve some customer irritation problems in the future. I know it would have solved mine.

Dave
Old 12/03/2007, 02:56 PM

I could have sworn mine did come with 2 washers. Maybe the sureflo kit I am thinking of.

I'm glad they gave you a refund. Would be nice to see them go out of the way to make things right with people that bought the first round of mods. I've since heard claims from lutz people are still using them, but I sure don't see how.

He did go out of his way to send me 1 of the new kits free as a replacement for the 2 old style kits I have still sitting in a bag of maxi jet parts. I guess Kevin just hasn't been vocal enough about his disappointment?
Old 12/03/2007, 03:05 PM

Guess I should also say the kit he sent is still running without problem.

I've got a wave maker I wanted to put both mods on to see if I could recreate a restart issue, but I need to find another of the factory hang on rim maxi jet brackets so I can keep an eye on it.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Stop over I have a few hang on kits
erik
Old 12/03/2007, 06:13 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by scottfarcuz
I guess Kevin just hasn't been vocal enough about his disappointment?
LOL I have been very vocal and I have gotten an email from Matt Lutz himself telling me to change my posts to show his product and his person in a different light but I still haven't been offered anything in exchange for the 4 units I bought last year. He said that he ran a "buy 3 get one free" special so I only PAID for 3 of them. I guess that only entitles me to 3 refunds if he decides to go that route but I am not holding my breath. It has been a couple weeks since I sent the reply to his email. He said I ONLY spent $60 plus shipping and not the $88 or $90 that I claimed in my previous posts and that is correct. I am sorry that I made a mistake when stating the amount of money that I have invested into the crappy things that I gave up on. It was one of those things like a Berlin skimmer or Seaclone that everyone has and just throws in a pile because it is junk.

I am glad you got your refund Dave. It sounds like it wasn't very easy and you got the runaround which is SOP for this company. I really don't think I will ever get my money back or a working product but sure wish they would make things right.

Erik did you ever get yours yet or do you have to bug them more and then drive somewhere to meet someone to collect your money?

Last edited by itZme; 12/03/2007 at 06:20 PM.