Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Anyone "cross over" from beckett to NW or visa-versa?... thoughts?

I can't decide between beckett or needle wheel skimmers. Anyone "cross over" that has any input? Thanks!
Old 11/12/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

skimmer

i have had a ton of different skimmers from beckett to needle wheel to old school air driven what was the question you wanted answered
Old 11/12/2007, 03:24 PM
secretary of NCPARS

i went nw to down draft.almost a beckett.like going from driving a cavalier to a corvette.the downdraft has more power than you will need,and the nw skimmers i have tried never had enough.i am sure there is exception,especially the high dollar nw skimmers,they kick a$$,orca,reeflo,ect
Old 11/12/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Morish - sorry =P I was wondering about their performance (waste output), finnickiness, cleaning - tank health. I know what has to be done on paper - but first hand experience/comments always wins (like photos vs paper vs in person when it comes to lighting)

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 11/12/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I had a down draft and now have a NW. The NW is set and forget. Clean the collection cups twice a week. I've disassembled the pump twice in 1.5 years for cleaning. Otherwise haven't touched it. The DD was more finicky for me, alot more fine tuning and not as much waste. (probably not a good comparison on my part because the 2 skimmer are in a different class). Also I gravity feed mine so there is less power consumtion. I will only go with NW skimmers from now on.
Old 11/12/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

skimmers

Beckett skimmers are generally more powerful than needlewheels and pull more garbage out. We have to compare good design's and not lousy ones . I've owned some of the very best high end skimmers of both types .
bernie lyons