Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

If you bought a mod at the meeting pm me for a detail about it
Old 11/05/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

My kit made more water movement then my 6080, A noticeable difference too. Chuck saw it tonight also and couldn't believe that it made that kind of flow.

Wonder if the different prop yours came with made the difference?

The ones sold at the meeting aren't the final shipped product like the one I have.
Erik
Old 11/05/2007, 08:55 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
The ones sold at the meeting aren't the final shipped product like the one I have.
Erik
Does this mean they are selling a product to us for testing again? Then we get stuck with the old stuff that doesn't work and they perfect the product with our feedback.

I am still not happy about the money I spent on the first 4 mods that are junk. I think I would rather buy just about any mod than one from Lutz unless there is some trade in credit for the crap we bought before.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think it sucks to develop a product and promise that they will be taken care of but not follow through. He said to anyone having trouble don't worry you will get the final product once it is perfected.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:01 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

i am getting mine taken care of

so far so good

Thanks
Old 11/06/2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by itZme
I think I would rather buy just about any mod than one from Lutz unless there is some trade in credit for the crap we bought before.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think it sucks to develop a product and promise that they will be taken care of but not follow through. He said to anyone having trouble don't worry you will get the final product once it is perfected.
Hard not to agree with this.

I know a lot of us bought these when Lutz first started. I had 2 kits. The first round of impellers lasted a few days, and I think I might have got a few weeks out of the second. I actually bought the sureflow just because I had MJ's laying around that were useless with the old mods on them. I've had the sureflow a couple weeks now. I paid about $5 less for it than the orig lutz mods we bought. It has already lasted longer, and if I was going to use the mount I would want the ball/socket one sureflow has.

I'm not saying the new mods being made by lutz are junk, but I got burnt the first time. I don't plan to hand over more $ hoping these are better after paying for the product testing before....
Old 11/06/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

I bought the Sur Flow 1600 from here www.usaquatic.com They are in Ohio somewhere and shipped quick.
Old 11/11/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Well, here it is.
For one, I was more then pleased with the flow, I was considering going with 4 of the mods in my 360.
The built and construction of them was nice, I liked how they look and went together.
Wasn't a fan of suction cups, but I was going to super glue them to a magnet so no biggie there.

Here's were it went wrong R&D, or lack there of it.
For starters they should have never sold the club proto types again. If they had a product that wasn't shipping to stores, don't sell it for the user to test out. Saltwater tanks aren't cheap.
He did step up and offer the replacement prop so I shrugged it off.

Here's what went wrong with my pump, one of 300 or 150 that are out there, got two numbers back from him on pm's
I went away this weekend, while I was gone the power went out. I'm not sure when it went out all I no is I came back to flashing clock lights. when the power came back on the gs2 mod kit didn't restart, the powerhead (maxi jet 1200) stayed on and heated up. When I pulled the pump out it was almost to hot to hold, any hoter I would have dropped it. I did try to restart the pump by pulling it in again and turning it off and on a few times. i didn't turn back on any of the times. I took the kit apart and reinstalled it, it then turned back on. I have since removed it from my system.
I'm running a nonphoto softie tank, which I guess I'm Lucky I don't have a tank full of sps as I don't think they could of taken a jump in temp from 78 to 87. so far my tank looks fine I will post details if I start losing things due to this.
At this point in time, My thoughts on this mod. I wouldn't put one in my tank, I would ask for a refund if you bought one. To me, the amount I have invested in the tank isn't worth some cheap flow.
Just not worth it.
I was really pulling for these mods to work to
Erik
Old 11/11/2007, 06:39 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

sorry to hear that Erik

mine locked up on me too, but that was the original club deal mod.

They have since sent me a new prop and nice looking mount with a swivel. But i have not had time to set it up yet.
Old 11/11/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Works great for mixing salt =)
Old 11/11/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

so does the maxi jet by itself
Old 11/11/2007, 06:46 PM
T5 Reefer

Guess I won't hold my breath for the 4 I bought before to be replaced since they might not restart for me and 4 makeshift MJ mod heaters in my tanks would be bad really quickly. I would personally rather have lower flow (1500gph or so) than put everything in my reef tank in jeopardy by a pump pushed to it's limits overheating.

I was waiting for your review before I started really getting upset about the $90 or so that I spent before on kits that are laying around not in service. Now I guess I will wait for a bit longer before becoming a guinea pig beta tester.

I would be willing to offer an honest review but so far customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 11/11/2007, 06:50 PM

wow Im a little worried now. I was offered one of the new kits free after mentioning in this thread that I felt the 2 kits I bought in the first club buy (last year) were sub par.

I got the new kit in the mail yesterday and immediately put it in the tank. Im imressed with the flow, and would guess its doing severl hundred more GPH than the sure flow. I think now I might move it to my salt mixing drum, and put it on a timer to see if I can receate the stratup issue you guys seem to be having.

I do like the new swivel mount he made. The ball socket is a nice addition, but the suction cups are a total waste of time/money. IF this pump fell off the suction cups in a DSB tank I would expect serious issues. Its a lot of flow, and the pump wont just hang in one place and keep running. It will take off across the tank...
Old 11/11/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottfarcuz
wow Im a little worried now. I was offered one of the new kits free after mentioning in this thread that I felt the 2 kits I bought in the first club buy (last year) were sub par.

I got the new kit in the mail yesterday and immediately put it in the tank. Im imressed with the flow, and would guess its doing severl hundred more GPH than the sure flow. I think now I might move it to my salt mixing drum, and put it on a timer to see if I can receate the stratup issue you guys seem to be having.

I do like the new swivel mount he made. The ball socket is a nice addition, but the suction cups are a total waste of time/money. IF this pump fell off the suction cups in a DSB tank I would expect serious issues. Its a lot of flow, and the pump wont just hang in one place and keep running. It will take off across the tank...
That's a thought! I wonder if it could be used as a trolling motor. I do have one of the new kits, but I'm not sure if it would be too big for a shallow 65. If looked like it at the meeting.

Last edited by Rhodophyta; 11/11/2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:07 PM

I know the DIY mj mod guys went to such large props they had restart issues. I would guess that is the cause here. The sure flow prop is a little smaller. I'm not saying this is the solution. Just a comparison.

I would think as the pump gets dirty, and builds up calcium restart would be even harder? I know Erik, and Andy didnt run these even long enough to need cleaned yet.

I was also told by triton that anyone with issues with the old mods can contact them in the website to try to get it corrected.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

I am sure glad we did not buy 1 at the meeting, my wife wanted to buy me one so bad and I told her no, that we will either buy Tunze again or maybe try a Koralia and am glad, I made that decision
Old 11/12/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Well the power flickered off and on again today, went down and checked the pump in my salt mixing garbage can.... Sure enough, locked up again and overheating.

Not sure if this quality control issue or bad design.
Erik
Old 11/15/2007, 05:54 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

hmmmm......