Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2007, 05:06 PM
T5 Reefer

Out of three 6025's I have here 2 of them have broken clips and one was noisy. I have had them send me one mount to replace the broken clips before so this will be the 3rd broken clip problem for me. The noisy pump has quited down after a day or two like others have had happen. I would honestly stay away from the Vortecs if I was going to spend that kind of money on a large tank I would choose a Tunze wavebox first then a couple of streams as needed.
I don't like the fact that you can't aim the Vortec at all. I thought they would put some sort of vanes on them like the air vents of a car so you could direct the flow and you could rotate it to aim wherever you wanted but they still haven't improved that aspect.
The battery backup thing is nice but for the money they cost you could buy a nice UPS or even a generator. The Tunzes use so little power you could probably easily get 30 hours out of a UPS with 2 streams on it.
These are all my opinions and I haven't owned either of the pumps being discussed but know people who have and watched them go through the process of getting them repaired. I agree that it's weird that everyone talks about the cust. service at Tunze being so good. When I contacted Roger about the broken clips on the first one he sent me a replacement from Texas without even verifying that I own a nano stream. I was pretty impressed with that.

-- Kevin
Old 11/01/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

The resun pumps have gotten my interest now. 4000 gph at 1/4 of the price of tunze 6100 and it comes with a controller hmmmmmm
Old 11/01/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I bought a brand new MJ 1200 and put the mod on it and the pump was really loud. I could hear it a room away. Maybe it just needs to break in, I'll see what it sounds like when I get home.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

What mod? theres like 3 or 4 out there now
Old 11/01/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

One of the ones that the Vendor was selling at the meeting.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/01/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Re: Product sales at C-Sea meetings

Quote:
Originally posted by NeonGobyOhio
Please remember C-Sea bylaws prohibit vendor sales at meetings. If Mr. Shinn prearranged the sales and was to meet before or after the meeting (for example in the parking lot) that works and it always done, but bringing product to meetings for sale is prohibited so please keep this in mind. The bylaws were setup to prevent commercial vendors from profiting from a not for profit hobby club.

Thanks
I gave the Ok for Steve to come in. I guess I didn't read the section on vendors coming in and selling products. I will take the time to read it and understand it so that this does not happen again.
Old 11/01/2007, 02:39 PM

I like pointing powerheads straight down behind the rock work in my tank. I noticed the sure flo makes a lot of noise like this. I think the magnet isn't strong enough to hold the bigger prop up in place where it should be when pointing down.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Product sales at C-Sea meetings

Quote:
Originally posted by mike660r
I guess I didn't read the section on vendors coming in and selling products. I will take the time to read it and understand it so that this does not happen again.
What, you couldn't have skipped a good section like the one that has the 'no beer at meetings' rule?
Old 11/01/2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
The resun pumps have gotten my interest now. 4000 gph at 1/4 of the price of tunze 6100 and it comes with a controller hmmmmmm
Erik,

Resun make the Octopus skimmer pumps? I've heard of them for pumps...didn't know they made a powerhead. Any stats besides the pic?
Old 11/01/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Product sales at C-Sea meetings

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
What, you couldn't have skipped a good section like the one that has the 'no beer at meetings' rule?
Just making it known that I screwed up and won't make the same mistake again. I prefer not to push my pooh under the rug and let it stink
Old 11/01/2007, 03:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Product sales at C-Sea meetings

Quote:
I prefer not to push my pooh under the rug and let it stink
Good to hear the tank is still bare bottom

no beer at meetings I think has more to do with the zoo than anything? Back in the day we would all meet up at Don pablos b4 meetings for happy hour. Erik quit buying so now I think no one goes.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

FYI, the pump is making considerably less noise today. It probably just had to break in.

I like my Octo skimmer and I think it works really well, however their customer service / sales suck and I would not buy from them again.
Old 11/01/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Theres a good thread or 2 with videos of the pumps working and alot more info than I know. I read most have gotten these pumps of ebay so far.
Erik

Just search resun and itwill come up
Old 11/01/2007, 04:57 PM
T5 Reefer

I thought those Resun pumps were huge. Sort of like sticking a Sedra 12000 in your tank.
Old 11/01/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

From the picks I've seen they look like the size of a tunze pump
Old 11/02/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Well my saltwater bad luck continues, my new just a tad over a month old reef keeper 2 is bad, the clock isn't holding time and only fix is to send it in and get a new one, or purchase the head unit and return my bad one for credit. Fun fun, now I can another name to the returns list
Erik
Old 11/02/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

That sucks =(
Old 11/04/2007, 09:56 AM
15 & Over Club

Talking Erik...product reliabilty is a myth

I think you are not alone Erik.
I think overall product reliability and expectations of products working and well are things relagated to the past and have become a part of mythological lore.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:54 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

At least Tunze stands behind its products, from what i have experienced. My problems with the nanos have been broken clips and broken steel shafts.

As far as the Lutz mods here is my opinion

1. Mounting bracket is hard to fit on the dovetails of the MJ's

2. Stupid suction cups

3. Using your own impellar

4. Mine quit working after 4 days, had to troubleshoot it myself, still dont know what caused the malfunction
Old 11/05/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bond007069
At least Tunze stands behind its products, from what i have experienced. My problems with the nanos have been broken clips and broken steel shafts.

As far as the Lutz mods here is my opinion

1. Mounting bracket is hard to fit on the dovetails of the MJ's

2. Stupid suction cups

3. Using your own impellar

4. Mine quit working after 4 days, had to troubleshoot it myself, still dont know what caused the malfunction
Was this one of the units that were purchased at the meeting last month?
Old 11/05/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

is that the gulf stream 2 mod kit?
So far I'm really pleased with the amount of flow output. It sure beats the flow from my tunze 6080. I'd like to run it atleast a week before I make a real opinion on them, So far so good though
Erik
Old 11/05/2007, 06:16 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
is that the gulf stream 2 mod kit?
So far I'm really pleased with the amount of flow output. It sure beats the flow from my tunze 6080. I'd like to run it atleast a week before I make a real opinion on them, So far so good though
Erik
I dont agree Erik

i have both, the GStream II and the tunze 6080, side by side

The Tunze 6080 seems much more powerful by far

Dont get me wrong for a few bucks this mod does wonders for the Mj's
Old 11/05/2007, 06:17 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

Quote:
Was this one of the units that were purchased at the meeting last month?
Yes sir,

the one i illegal bought at the meeting

hehe
Old 11/05/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Dammit that is a kick in the nads...

There will be no more illegal activities at the meetings )