Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2007, 09:33 AM
Keeping It Real

Here's a link to a free RC search for you newbies... I don't know how to limit it to a particular forum though... HTH

http://www.reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11

Oh, and you might want to bookmark it... I know I did... And it comes in handy...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 03/12/2007, 07:16 PM
Team RC Member

Good one ct_vol. Why don't you start a new thread with that very link and specify for newbie searches. I'm sure they would greatly appreciate it.

Mucho Reef
Old 03/14/2007, 06:15 AM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

Nobody wants to talk about this topic? I guess most here are in it for the money... its depressing.

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 03/14/2007, 07:19 AM
Nothing original for now

Alot of these issues seem to be somewhat human nature.
People want to make money. Who wouldn't want a hobby that can support itself and perhaps make some money on the side? I'd love to be able to not put money into my tanks and have them perhaps generate some revenue, but hey, it is a hobby, aren't those suppose to cost money and bring only personal rewards? I guess some view this as an investment, possible for some but not realistically for most.

People want to think what they have is unique. As mentioned people see something, buy it, and post a pic here thinking they are the only one that has one of these in an aquarium. This somewhat ties in with trying to make money but it does go deeper. The need to feel unique. How many people are truly unique or have unique items? It is boring to have the same thing as everyone else, after all they will probably grow it faster than you and that would suck

People want their question/problem helped now. There may be a unique problem that arises but I doubt most of the questions that people have haven't already been answered on RC. People complain about the search not always working, the Google search helps there, but most of the questions asked could be found in the stickies or within the first couple of pages. People are lazy, myself included. I would answer more questions myself across RC but for some reason I feel bad only offering links to info that they could have found on their own. It seems harsh to only post links and try to be helpful and still not make it look like a slap in the face because they were to lazy to look for themselves. Maybe that's just me tho

Good topic MUCHO, RC is a great resource, site, forum, community, whatever you want to call it but I think it would be hard to be all things for all reefers, that's not saying we can't still be helpful and love each other tho

Last edited by AIMFish; 03/14/2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03/14/2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AIMFish
Alot of these issues seem to be somewhat human nature.
People want to make money. Who wouldn't want a hobby that can support itself and perhaps make some money on the side? I'd love to be able to not put money into my tanks and have them perhaps generate some revenue, but hey, it is a hobby, aren't those suppose to cost money and bring only personal rewards? I guess some view this as an investment, possible for some but not realistically for most.
herein lies the problem. It is detrimental to the hobby.
1. Driving prices up for no real reason. 2+ years ago I had a colony of i guess what are now "lunar eclipse" I got 8 polyps for about 8$. That colony grew out, and were traded away. why are they 15+ per polyp now? did they change? there arent any less of them in the hobby? Nope. People gave them a name, and now they are apparently worth more than gold. (in reality alot of zoa prices are higher than actual gold prices)

2. Stresses these zoanthids that we love soo much to death. They are pulled as a colony from the ocean, and then is successivly and repeatedly fragged down to small piece with a few polypswithin a couple weeks. Sure this maximizes profit, but it causes unhealthy specimens, stresses colonies, and IME, alot of these "salesmen" trying to make a profit dont know how to frag, and once sold, dont care if it lives or dies.-- alot end up dieing.

3. If you cant afford your reeftank without killing/cutting/stressing your livestock, than you shouldnt be in this hobby. It is not a hobby for shallow pockets.

4. lets not forget about the unscrupulous retailers on Ebay and here in the FS forum. They photoshop, and dont give good customer service... dont care about thehealth of their product...just trying to make the quickest dollar possible. 3 years ago, 90% of these retailers didnt exist, and those that did exist, were in it for the hobby, not the money. Maybe they made a few bux, but nothing like what they are making today....

Prop&Save!
Old 03/14/2007, 10:37 AM
Geek

I'd like to put my 2 cents in. . . Apparently I must not be out to make money because I haven't really sold any of my zoos I like them too much

I like to share pics so I am guilty of that but there are SO many color morphs I find the Zooid site helpful to be able to tell my friends "oh I got a such and such" so they know about what it looks like. Then again if I have photos I tend to share.

It also helps me in requesting a certain type through a LFS or finding a certain kind on line (the search function on frags.org helps too) so I think it definitely has its uses!

I thought at one point we had a "zoaid.com" sticky but it maybe fell away?

I could also suggest for thos interested in selling or buying zoos when they use the RC forum put what you're selling in your topic along with your location like "zoo" "lps" "sps" stuff like that so its easier for people to track it down if we dont see any kind of forum expansion.

That's just me ;p
Old 03/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Give me some sugar Baby!

One problem I found (newbie to Zoas) with the ID thread was the lack of responses, some people would post and then somebody would post their picture and then the original post would be forgotten.

I don't think a lot of people are in it for the money. I know that when I found out I had Radioactive dragon eyes, I was like....bad a** name for some sweet zoas, the names just supplement the personal coolness. Like my growing need to have Zombie eyes, only because of the name. Don't care how rare they are. I am a Zombie movie FREAK and everyone of my buds would be like what are those, and I would reply ZOMBIE EYES!!!!!! Then they would get a chuckle outta them.

I think pictures threads are just people fishing for compliments, which is fine, sometimes they spark debates, on compatibility, coral placement, or how do you like so and so equipment.

That being said, I support any decisions made within this forum and the others

"This is my BOOMSTICK"~~~Bruce Campbell
Old 03/14/2007, 11:35 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by MinibowMatt
Nobody wants to talk about this topic? I guess most here are in it for the money... its depressing.

I think the lack of discussion here does reflect more interest in money than the hobby. But who's interest in money, RC's or the hobbiest?

There were several good points brought up by people, that have been brought up before. The only response was, everyone should pm these to the mods and if enough people do maybe they will listen. These points have been brought up before and ignored by the mods/admins, just like they will most likely be this time. Why should everyone have to gang up for mods/admins to listen. I'm not saying that the mods/admins should just do whatever is asked, but they could at least listen and consider things that are asked for. Certainly they shouldn't be responding to these PM's with threats of time outs or banning, which does happen from time to time.

The other response was to make a thread about how people can search RC for free using google. Well you can search any site with google, but it's not nearly as efficient as the search engine for vbulletin. It's so much nicer to be able to search specific forums, thread titles, date ranges, or posts by certain users. So IMO, the response they always give about searching RC from google is a pretty lame diversion from the real issue.

As far as the ID thread, that does get ignored and is not very helpful for keeping the amounts ID threads down. I don't see why anyone would think that having a sub-forum for this would be a bad thing? Works great other places.
Old 03/15/2007, 09:35 AM
Guardian of Little People

CoralNutz,

As the operator of another reef discussion bulletin board, I think your "observations" must be taken with a grain of salt. You are obviously not interested in improving Reef Central, only disparaging it to drive traffic to your site.

You won't do it on our dime.

BrianD
Staff
Reef Central

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 03/15/2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Man I cant believe you banned him. That's not good at all. Yes he did start another forum that focuses on Zoanthids because he loves them and also because things around here are just not changing enough to meet the demand of the more advanced hobbiest when it comes to zoanthids.

Sad.
Old 03/15/2007, 10:03 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
CoralNutz,

As the operator of another reef discussion bulletin board, I think your "observations" must be taken with a grain of salt. You are obviously not interested in improving Reef Central, only disparaging it to drive traffic to your site.

You won't do it on our dime.

BrianD
Staff
Reef Central
Wasn't even aware that he operated another site. You would think that if he wasn't trying to help this site, but only drive traffic to his, he would have posted a link to it? Is he the one with zoaid.com?

I guess everyone should take note, this is what will happen to you if you disagree or make any comments. Better not rock the boat, lol.
Old 03/15/2007, 10:05 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lpsfiend
Wasn't even aware that he operated another site. You would think that if he wasn't trying to help this site, but only drive traffic to his, he would have posted a link to it? Is he the one with zoaid.com?

I guess everyone should take note, this is what will happen to you if you disagree or make any comments. Better not rock the boat, lol.
nope, club-zoa.com a site for those dedicated to zoanthids
Old 03/15/2007, 10:12 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by JnS
nope, club-zoa.com a site for those dedicated to zoanthids
Wow, thanks for the link. I can't believe I never heard of that place. Looks pretty hoppin. I need to whip out my camera and win that $100 photo contest prize now.
Old 03/15/2007, 10:12 AM
I bleed orange and maroon

so are we gonna lose Mucho too?

same opinions same penalties?

sucks for people trying to make a positive difference in the reefing community as a whole.

wasn't aware of that guys affiliation with another site either...

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 03/15/2007, 10:20 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
so are we gonna lose Mucho too?

same opinions same penalties?

sucks for people trying to make a positive difference in the reefing community as a whole.

wasn't aware of that guys affiliation with another site either...
no some people are above the law.... pretty sad to see.....
Old 03/15/2007, 10:41 AM

its a sad sad day.... no respect....just power... power to help. and power to hurt...

Prop&Save!
Old 03/15/2007, 10:52 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Folks. It's really simple.

If I were to create an account on his site and start posting, on a regular basis, about how terrible the were I'd be shown the door. I did find it somewhat ironic that someone so critical of how money hungry RC is just happens to have 14 sponsors of his own.

Let's get back to reef keeping please.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.