Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 10:10 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by FishTruck
Looking good. Following along to see how you do the duct work!

Ryan.
Thank you Fishtruck... how did you get the name?

The duct work should be easy... 4" line in with fan, 4" line out with a fan Hooked to the ol' Neptune The interesting part will be sealing the canopy, but I *think* I've got that figured!

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddrtrex
Looking really good Hop.

Almost proud of you. Would have been easy to give up during all the set backs, glad you didn't.
Thanks Todd, it's nice to almost have someone proud Yes it would have been easy to give up, but I'm glad it all worked out. Like I said, I think I'm more excited about this tank than I was about the 450. It doesn't seem overwhelming!

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
hop you should use the expansion foam for the holes .Once it drys you can cut out the excess with a knife.I like the aqua scape.I had more trouble on mine because of the 8 way(to many pipes to cover)
I may use it, but I need to be able to ensure a 100% seal on these. I have a can already sitting here for the other holes I've had to punch here and there. Thanks for the tip! I like the 8-way, but you are definitely right... That's a lot of pipes! Yours looks good though! I've been trying to keep track in-between building this tank, school and work. I'll be more active here in a few weeks.
Old 10/05/2007, 10:22 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Hop

I can't believe I missed this! I've been so looking forward to this build. Fantastic work so far!
Old 10/05/2007, 10:29 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop

Thanks Todd, it's nice to almost have someone proud Yes it would have been easy to give up, but I'm glad it all worked out. Like I said, I think I'm more excited about this tank than I was about the 450. It doesn't seem overwhelming!
Got to keep my manly persona.

But I know the feeling, I am going to be re-doing my 58 -- just new live rock and I am really excited about it. Hard waiting for the rock to cure.
Old 10/05/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Your fish seem to be doing a good job hiding!

But yeah, I like the scape. Nice and open!
Old 10/06/2007, 01:37 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Bax
Hop

I can't believe I missed this! I've been so looking forward to this build. Fantastic work so far!
Thanks and welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddrtrex
Got to keep my manly persona.

But I know the feeling, I am going to be re-doing my 58 -- just new live rock and I am really excited about it. Hard waiting for the rock to cure.
Well good luck. I expect pictures!

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
Your fish seem to be doing a good job hiding!

But yeah, I like the scape. Nice and open!
Yeah, they were still nervous after moving the rock around... All day As things get more clear I like the scape more and more.
Old 10/06/2007, 01:39 AM
Carpe Noctem

Well it's not the most attractive sump, but I got it done. I had to use acrylic baffles, so I used a bunch of silicone to hold it all in place. I've got sort of a funny feeling that I have not felt in years from inhaling the silicone... Maybe I needed more ventilation
Old 10/06/2007, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Ok, 2 picture requests: the new sump, and the cleared up display!
Old 10/06/2007, 12:00 PM
Carpe Noctem

Sounds good bleedingthought. It actually cleared quite nicely overnight considering there is nothing other than a closed loop and powerheads running. Hoping to get the sump in place today and some plumbing done. I have to get some pumps cleaned up, along with some other stuff and then make about 150 gallons of SW... Soon as I get motivated enough to go to the hardware store. Somehow I ran out of 1.5" plumbing parts or there is a PVC gremlin in my garage.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

I hate those PVC gremlins!
Old 10/06/2007, 01:02 PM
I am a super nose picker

Hop if you use the foam I can pretty much guaranty you that the holes will get filled by the foam.Use the small straw that comes with it and go all around from inside and the foam will get injected and expand.I didn't bother to cut off my foam since I didn't care about the look of it.I also didn't do a clean job on my sump(silicone) I rushed a bit plus I said who is going to se it as long as it works who cares
Old 10/06/2007, 01:52 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
I hate those PVC gremlins!

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
Hop if you use the foam I can pretty much guaranty you that the holes will get filled by the foam.Use the small straw that comes with it and go all around from inside and the foam will get injected and expand.I didn't bother to cut off my foam since I didn't care about the look of it.I also didn't do a clean job on my sump(silicone) I rushed a bit plus I said who is going to see it as long as it works who cares
We'll certainly see. I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday will be sealing day if there are no plumbing issues tomorrow

The sump is in it's new home I need a bigger wetroom!
Old 10/06/2007, 08:08 PM
Carpe Noctem

So the sump is very basic. I wound up building a little something today to hold the ATO, but otherwise it's simple. A 24" X18" spot that will be a chaeto grow out area, then a 20"X14" area and then the baffles. They are spaced 3.5" apart. The running height through the sump is 10". The return section is 14" and will hold 2 pumps.

I was in too much of a hurry to do a step-by-step, but it's a sump... Nothing really exciting!

As I mentioned before, I had to use acrylic baffles, so I gobbed the silicone on a little heavy
Old 10/06/2007, 08:13 PM
Carpe Noctem

I did get a ton done today, but it doesn't look like much!

First up I got the return plumbing in and ready to go:

And I got the sump in (with the wife's help):

Which allowed me to get the rest of the return stuff done. I was also able to get the pump hooked up for the skimmer and cube:

Just a quick overall shot, although the wetroom is dirty right now!

Here is a quick shot of the tank as it sits, slightly more clear than yesterday:

So I need to make a run to the hardware store tomorrow to finish out the plumbing. I've got the RO/DI going and will start making SW tonight. Hopefully I'll have enough mixed and ready to go about 8pm tomorrow
Old 10/06/2007, 08:33 PM
Keeper of Tangs

wow great work the setup looks sweet.
Old 10/06/2007, 09:03 PM
TRC Leader

So the back of the tank is against the garage wall right? I see a water heater near that closed loop. How does the water get into the sump room?
Old 10/06/2007, 09:14 PM
Carpe Noctem

thor32766: thank you! I'm getting excited to be toward the middle of this phase of the build!

Melev: You are correct. Tomorrow, you will see pics of the drain plumbing. It also goes through the wall, under the closed loop and return plumbing and runs along the garage wall. Then it's poked through the wall of the wetroom and makes a couple of 90 degree turns It's actually more simple than the 450's plumbing... Thank goodness!
Old 10/07/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Looking good Hop.

One question, why so many baffles before the return pump? Microbubbles?
Old 10/07/2007, 12:33 AM
TRC Leader

Will you need to insulate all those pipes from the cold garage air?

Are you part of a Colorado club? Kip contacted me (I need to return his call) about coming out in February.
Old 10/07/2007, 12:57 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by SSalty
Looking good Hop.

One question, why so many baffles before the return pump? Microbubbles?
Thanks again

There are really only 4 baffles. Going from left to right, the first is for a cheato area at 18" deep, the second chamber is just because I had room at 14" tall and then it hit's the baffles at 10" deep. This was just so water never fell too far from one chamber to the next and gave me ample volume... I hope

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Will you need to insulate all those pipes from the cold garage air?

Are you part of a Colorado club? Kip contacted me (I need to return his call) about coming out in February.
I'm not sure on the insulaltion. The garage usually stays around 60 in the winter due to the way the house is built and the water heater and other things in there. I think it's about the same temp as the crawl space where the plumbing was before. if it's an issue, then I'm ready to take care of it... Soon as the woodwork is done

There are really no clubs around me. I'm about 3 hours west of Denver and the metro area where all the clubs are. There was talk of getting one going a while ago an hour west of me, but that never went anywhere. I thought all this time I was the only one with a SW tank anywhere near me, but I got my neighbor hooked and found out there is a guy about 13 miles away that has a nice 110 SPS tank with a wetroom in his basement. I keep trying to get up to his house, but have not had the chance.

But if you do come in February, let me know and I'll try to find a reason to go down there. I think I've spoke to Kip before and actually bought his old skimmer... I had stressed interest in making at least one of their meetings.
Old 10/07/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Looks good. That's one big chromis, huh?

So, if the left side of the sump will be a fuge, what's going in the middle section?
Old 10/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Looks good. That's one big chromis, huh?

So, if the left side of the sump will be a fuge, what's going in the middle section?
I would call it a chaeto growing station The more I read about fuges, the more I'm not sure I want the true fuge... So I'm calling it a BB chaeto growing station

The middle section will hold heaters and po4 reactors and be the dumping station for everything else
Old 10/07/2007, 11:10 AM
Carpe Noctem

Oh, and yes, I have mutant chromis I wanted to get rid of them for this build, but my neighbor couldn't wait for them and went and bought more fish a week too soon
Old 10/07/2007, 03:21 PM
I am a super nose picker

Hop I like what you did with the rock work (very nice) I did see that you strapped one of the pipes with galvanized strapping (the one over the sump) this strapping will rust if exposed to saltwater moisture.I used some but it was underneath my stand so no sump there.It may take a while to rust out(maybe it won't)I don't know if thats stainless steel strapping that you used its a bit hard to tell.
Old 10/07/2007, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hop
[B]Thank you Fishtruck... how did you get the name?

I'll never tell.

The duct work should be easy... 4" line in with fan, 4" line out with a fan Hooked to the ol' Neptune The interesting part will be sealing the canopy, but I *think* I've got that figured!

So, a fan to push and one to pull. With relatively equal pressure in and vacuum out, the air leaks should have minimum impact. You should know that you have inspired me to vent my setup with outside air as well. I have the fish room ventillation nearly done in anticipation of the new tank's arrival Early November.

Ryan.
Old 10/07/2007, 09:21 PM
Carpe Noctem

Steve: I think it's stainless. I had the same stuff over the last tank and it lost it's shine, but didn't rust per se I'll replace it with plastic hangers later, but the stuff I have around here is very limited and I'm a few hundred over budget right now...

Well the sump is filled, the skimmer is running and the salt is mixing... I still need another 20-30 gallons to fire the system up as I'm not sure how much is going to be needed in the lines.